PDA

View Full Version : Nipple change on tubeless rims.

Jeff N.
05-23-2019, 07:51 PM
...so on tubeless rims that don't have access to the nipples from the inside, is it a giant PITA changing nipples? Looking at youtube it looks like different guys have different tricks, but was just wondering about those here on the forum with hands-on experience. -Jeff N.

ColonelJLloyd
05-23-2019, 07:58 PM
What rim does not have access to the nipple from inside the rim?

It may be a bit more involved to access the nipples on tubeless setups in that you have to clean off excess sealant and scrap the tubeless tape, but it's not that big a deal.

Jeff N.
05-23-2019, 08:37 PM
What rim does not have access to the nipple from inside the rim?

It may be a bit more involved to access the nipples on tubeless setups in that you have to clean off excess sealant and scrap the tubeless tape, but it's not that big a deal.All "Two Way" Rims and many deep V carbon rims, several Campy and Fulcrum wheelsets, have no inside access/no tubeless tape.

guyintense
05-23-2019, 08:52 PM
You could use a Campagnolo UT-WH160 Magnet-Attracting Nipple Insert.
Sounds like fun.

ergott
05-23-2019, 09:01 PM
I've built wheels like that. It doesn't take that much longer. I have a steel insert in the nipple and a high powered magnet and I scoot it around to the hole needed. Easier than I expected.

Jeff N.
05-23-2019, 09:25 PM
You could use a Campagnolo UT-WH160 Magnet-Attracting Nipple Insert.
Sounds like fun.OK, that'd do it. Interesting.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2019, 07:21 AM
I've built wheels like that. It doesn't take that much longer. I have a steel insert in the nipple and a high powered magnet and I scoot it around to the hole needed. Easier than I expected.

Agree..first time I swapped a rim on a Campag wheel, I set aside about 3 hours to do it in the shop..took about 1/3 of that.