PDA

View Full Version : Can Racing and Recreational Riding Coexist?

Michael Katz
05-07-2004, 06:54 AM
I belong to a bike club with about 550 members that is a recreational club in its roots. We have weekday and weekend rides that go out at avg speeds ranging from 10 - 12 mph to 22+. The 22+ riders are a small minority (about 50) and include about 20 riders who race at Cat 4/5 and 3/4. A proposal has been floated to start a "developemental" race team so that those who race can have a structure within the club to do so and so that those who are interested in exploring the world of racing will have a support group. In addition, the racing program would have a "trickle down" benefit to the non racers by requiring team members to lead recreational rides from time to time and to hold "instructional" rides/clinics to teach riding skills related to safe group riding as well as topics such as paceline skills, bike handling and other performance oriented topics.

Now for my question. There is a lot of suspicion among the recreational riders that this is an attempt to change the core purpose and culture of the club. Does anyone have any experience in clubs that have both racing and recreational components and what was done to facilitate a harmonious and mutually benficial relationship between the two?

Too Tall
05-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Our 1500 member club does not support it primarily because insurance will not allow "racing" altho club bylaws do.

It is a GREAT idea and will work if you have a few very firm yet fair mind folks to mind the flocks.

Add a top level training ride to your club eg. A+ and define it so that your racers and fitness junkies both will know these rides include hill sprints, attacks etc. and avg. speeds of 20+.

Suggest you do not form a race team within the club it is political suicide as the club directorate may play havoc with racing goals. Rather, have the racers join a local team and act as leaders for the club in higher level training rides, events, seminars etc.

Roy E. Munson
05-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Based on my observations, many a club has successfully put together a race team within the confines of the club,. Why and how would the club directorate play havoc with the team's racing goals? I don't understand how you see this as a potential bad thing.

Andreu
05-07-2004, 08:20 AM
In the UK, cycling is very much a minority sport and my belief is that the only way we can encourage people, and more importantly youngsters, into the sport is do exactly what you are suggesting. Road, MTB, cyclocross and recreational co-existing (the kids of the recreational riders could be potential Armstrongs!).
I have seen it done in a few clubs here in Europe....and the trick is the social side....where it doesnt really matter what bike you ride or how fast. Club nights. Social rides. Getting the recreational riders to help out on races. Encouraging the racers out on the recreational rides. Here in Spain we give points to the riders that go out on Sundays and complete the distance (at whatever speed)....they fill in a form....get points...the points can be exchanged for club cycling gear. There are three categories recreational medium and fast....everybody (tries!) to meet up around the same time for cake/tea breaks.
The older riders help out with youngsters - there is a separate team (under 14s I think) - who race. And it all generally (kind of) works. Of course getting critical mass is essential ...I reckon you probably need a core group of nutters (5-10)...erm I mean cycling enthusiasts and you will be on a roll.
My belief is that you can mix it....but you need people to support it all from a functional point of view.
A

Hard Fit
05-07-2004, 08:47 AM
I belong to a club that caters to mainly the low-end rider. As a result, the so-called faster riders are feared. The charter says the club is not a racing club, but what a low-end rider calls a “racer” is way below the level of a racer. As a result, our rides have deteriorated into bowling rides and eating rides. As a result, anyone who takes cycling seriously has left the club or rarely rides with the club. This year, I have instituted training rides that hopefully cater to a wider range of rider. I basically keep the route simple and use the same route every week. That way, everyone can easily memorize the route and go at whatever pace they like. The fear of being dropped is lessened. I am hoping that this attracts both the fast rider and those wanting to become faster. I think just exposing slower riders to a different pace helps them improve. I am not sure how this will work out, but you might consider this step first.

Expect a lot of opposition from the lower level riders. The lower level riders are happy. They fear any changes to the club will ruin it for them.

Hard Fit

zap
05-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Too Tall-if refering to PPTC, there are no restrictions. Just need to have volunteers to put forth a proposal to the executive board. Additionally, as I understand it, insurance still would not be an issue since all racing clubs would be affiliated with USCF and would fall under their insurance umbrella.

When I was Chair for our local club back in '97, I was thinking about getting volunteers together to start a racing team. I quickly dashed those plans since traditional events were suffering from lack of volunteers in addtion to revenue problems that took up my time and effort.

If you have the leadership and volunteers to persue a racing team, I would recommend persuing it. Detailed, open communication is the key. Depending on your club charter and/or dynamics, your club could have the executive committe vote on it or, if the chairman has the authority, that person could make the decision.

Your club would need to hold a racing event as well which could create additional revenue for your club. More importantly, this event will foster closer relationships for your non-racing club members who volunteer to support this event.

Sounds like your clubmates have great plans and it would be a shame if they didn't persue it.

OldDog
05-07-2004, 10:04 AM
myself being a N.E. PA'er, you have me wondering what club you belong to with a rollcall of 550? The WVBC and LBC are all but dead except for outdated websites. The WBVC has been gone for nearly 10 years, though that was striclty a racing club. You must be refering to NJBTC or LWA (who has a fine racing team in place).

Please PM me if you would rather. Thanks.

Michael Katz
05-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. The proposal has in fact hit a raw nerve in my club. The club was formed as a result of a schism between the racing founders of another club and the recreational members who later joined. The rec riders felt the resources were disproportionately being allocated to the racers even though the rec riders were greater in numbers. So the rec riders broke away and formed my club (Spinner, is this enough of a clue or does the name Emerson Custis ring a bell). It appears that there is both a fear that racing will detract from the recreational roots and focus of the club as well as a resentment in some quarters that such a blasphemy would even be consisdered. In addition, there is a perception that with a couple of exceptions the A and A+ riders stick to themselves with an "elitism" and don't volunteer much for club activities, volunteer to lead slower rides or particpate in club social activities. I think this fosters a sentiment of why do anything special for "Them".

Fortunately, the proposal has the full support of the club's executive board which is comprised entirely of rec riders ranging from B- to A riders. At our general meeting in July we will be voting on amending the Bylaws to remove the prohibiton on racing activities and on approving the race team proposal. Now we just have to convince the doubters that racing and rec riding can not only coexist but actually help each other to thrive. Roy, you had mentioned that you are aware of many clubs that have combined racing and rec riding. How did these clubs appease both elements?

Ahneida Ride
05-08-2004, 10:35 PM
ASBSOLUTELY !

I belong to the Mohawk Hudson Cycling Club in Upstate NY.

MHCC (http://www.webmhcc.org) is living proof. (QED)

We are an eclectic group about 700 strong. One will find
full spectrum of riders in our club with rides from 8 mph to 20+.

Scott
05-08-2004, 11:18 PM
I belong to the North Atlanta Riding Club and we have a race team within the club... From Pro/1/2 to Cat 5 to Juniors. There's no animosity or whatever you want to call it, but for the most part we're segregated. The rec riders never race and the racers rarely rec ride. We have a ride director and a race director. Each plays organizer for those interested. The biggest benefit is for the bike shop who gets more advertising than if we had only a few racers.

Michael Katz
05-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Scott, the approach we want to take is different. The team will be a "developemental" team designed to offer racing opportunities to beginning racers and opportunities fast recreational riders who want to expand their riding skills and experience. It is important to us to integrate the racing activities with the club's recreational rides, volunteerism and socializing. In the case of your club, if the racing and rec components are clearly segregated, why didn't the race team simply form its own club? Is there any area of interaction or interelationship that is "symbiotic" in nature? Not a criticism, just looking for different ideas and perspectives.