PDA

View Full Version : Ted King’s - The G’road to Kanaza

joosttx
05-22-2019, 11:06 PM
I came across this vlog last night and thought it was great enough to share. It is Ted Kings vlog which I think chronicles his prepping to Dirty Kanaza. So, far it’s him doing the epic gravel races, BWR and LR100. Super cool guy and gives some insight to gravel riding that anyone can learn from. Highly recommend....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNueufSUUGhQJngFPebQmzw

weisan
05-23-2019, 04:09 AM
I watched it a few days ago, yeah, it was great. The last part of the video where you can see the difference between the numbers for both years, wow...world tour rider Peter Stetina really pushed him to the limit. I posted the full results for BWR on the other thread:

http://www.tbgtiming.com/2019%20CANYON%20BWR%20RESULTS%20-%20WAFFLE%20COMBINED%20OVERALL.pdf

earlfoss
05-23-2019, 05:35 AM
This year was fast! Wow. After trying to train properly through one of the worst stretches of spring weather that I can remember in Wisconsin, I showed up with fingers crossed that at least I wouldn't have any surprise bike issues. Turns out I made it the whole day with zero issues which was awesome.

The day was great, and I made it through the first section with the front leaders. I think I was 15th going into it? In any case it became very apparent that my climbing legs didn't make it on the plane with me, and I was out of that group going into the second section. The rest of the day was a blast. Black Canyon was the highlight for me. Absolutely beautiful climbing on those roads. The descending was scary as H. Jesus. You'd be flying down firm gravel/dirt and hit a surprise sand pit. I used tubeless 30mm Vittoria Corsa Controls and they were ok for most sections, but from what I understand most of the guys in the front group were on at least 35mm tires this year because of those sketchy spots. The weather was sunny, 80 deg, and a nice breeze meant you didn't fry all day. All in all pretty great. I'd recommend this event to anyone who likes to do crazy crap on their bikes! Ended up 91st and hobbling around for a day afterward.

Tim Porter
05-23-2019, 06:47 AM
Well done, earlfoss!!

R3awak3n
05-23-2019, 06:52 AM
I love that he rocks a berthoud saddle

ColonelJLloyd
05-23-2019, 08:35 AM
I used tubeless 30mm Vittoria Corsa Controls and they were ok for most sections, but from what I understand most of the guys in the front group were on at least 35mm tires this year because of those sketchy spots.

Wow. I've been riding 50mm or larger tires everywhere for a while. This week I took a ride on Schwalbe 30mm tubeless tires ON THE ROAD and it felt jarring on the crappy pavement. Those tires on that Kanza route give me shivers.

Mzilliox
05-23-2019, 08:53 AM
great stuff, such a simple bike he rides, and berthoud saddle and compass tires courtesy of a sponsor? not that they dont work awesome!

Also interesting is that hes on sram 1x. the setups they are using to win these races are the same gravel setup im using. 42 or 44 front and 10-42 in back.

zacstanley
05-23-2019, 09:01 AM
great stuff, such a simple bike he rides, and berthoud saddle and compass tires courtesy of a sponsor? not that they dont work awesome!

He's sponsored by Rene' Herse (formerly Compass) where he gets the BJPs and the Berthoud saddle.

ColonelJLloyd
05-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Also interesting is that hes on sram 1x. the setups they are using to win these races are the same gravel setup im using. 42 or 44 front and 10-42 in back.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJxrxIcplvM)video I watched showed his Cannondale SuperX with 48/35 double and 11-33 cassette. Horses for courses, I reckon.

yinzerniner
05-23-2019, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a counterfeit version of the Dirty Kanza. :eek:

Just kidding of course, but seems like a very easy typo that completely changes the pronunciation of the event.

Regarding gearing - with the introduction of 2x systems with chain retention it seems like real performance gains through increased gearing/cadence/efficiency can be had by top riders at gravel events. Would like to see how many riders make the switch over the SRAM AXS or Shimano GRX next year.

weaponsgrade
05-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Gumwalls! Whooooo!

sparky33
05-23-2019, 11:05 AM
He's sponsored by Rene' Herse (formerly Compass) where he gets the BJPs and the Berthoud saddle.

I like that this relationship induced RH to come up with a tougher casing concept (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/05/22/new-tires-hurricane-ridge-and-endurance-casings/) for gnarlier gravel.

zacstanley
05-23-2019, 11:15 AM
I like that this relationship induced RH to come up with a tougher casing concept (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/05/22/new-tires-hurricane-ridge-and-endurance-casings/) for gnarlier gravel.

Agreed - I've been riding BJPs (standard casing) for nearly 3 years continuously and haven't had 1 flat with the tubeless setup.

ColonelJLloyd
05-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Agreed - I've been riding BJPs (standard casing) for nearly 3 years continuously and haven't had 1 flat with the tubeless setup.

Then no reason for you to move to a tougher (and presumably somewhat less supple) casing, right?

But, I agree, options are good.

zacstanley
05-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Then no reason for you to move to a tougher (and presumably somewhat less supple) casing, right?

But, I agree, options are good.

Exactly right. I don't need RH to offer what WTB and Panaracer already do.

charliedid
05-23-2019, 12:11 PM
That guy is so likable and has such a great attitude.

Thanks

MattTuck
05-23-2019, 12:16 PM
Very interesting. One of our local strava overlords is headed out to Dirty Kanza this year. Will be interesting to see how he does with a higher level of competition.

Jsafran
05-23-2019, 12:23 PM

Having been riding Compass/Rene Hearse tires for 3ish years I am excited for the offering because my only failed tires have been two slashed sidewalls. WTB and panaracer do make similar tires, however they don't offer the amazing knob profile you can find on RH tires.

R3awak3n
05-23-2019, 12:47 PM

you kinda do if they ride better. I for one, hated WTB byway, it just rode like garbage so bring on the options.

weaponsgrade
05-23-2019, 12:50 PM
I ended up buying a set of RH extra lights because I wanted to see what the ne plus ultra of all things supple had to offer. It certainly wasn't without a lot of reservation considering all the reports of fragile sidewalls. I think having more options like the tougher casing is great. I'm interested in seeing how the tougher casing versions compare to the less expensive offerings from say WTB.

zacstanley
05-23-2019, 12:50 PM
you kinda do if they ride better. I for one, hated WTB byway, it just rode like garbage so bring on the options.

Remains to be seen I guess. I've been totally underwhelmed by the last two pair of WTB tires I've owned. RH/Compass have likely ruined me.

ColonelJLloyd
05-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Remains to be seen I guess. I've been totally underwhelmed by the last two pair of WTB tires I've owned. RH/Compass have likely ruined me.

Agree that the Byway and Horizon were harsh. Just not in the same league as the Switchback Hill.

Now, the 2.1" Thunderburt in the lightest casing I feel is a superb tire. I'm skeptical the new Compass knobby in that size could be a better tire. The Schwalbes I have used also are easiest to setup tubeless (not that Compass are difficult) and they hold air pressure for a ridiculous time span.

mistermo
05-24-2019, 07:01 AM

Looks like he's on Force etap 2x

morrisericd
05-24-2019, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the link - I just watched them all. I grew up 1 town over from Richmond, VT and now live two towns over (I'm not much for change). It's really cool to see the local spots that we go to all the time. Hopefully, he'll highlight some of the great riding (MTB, road and gravel - dirt) Vermont has to offer. The guy from Craftsbury he talks to is on my cycling team and is a great guy and a hell of a rider (and skier).

Craftsbury and Hill Farmstead make for a great road trip winter or summer. There's a newish local MTB stage race called the VT3 that highlights some of our great mountain biking, including the excellent buffed trails Craftsbury has to offer.

Ted is a great guy. Cheers and good luck to him at Dirty Kanza!