PDA

View Full Version : Single speed freewheel on a fixed gear hub?

NHAero
05-22-2019, 09:39 PM
I imagine that fewer threads will be engaged - is that an issue in reality? Why would it matter if there are enough threads for the fixed cog?
Does chainline change?
Thanks

Cicli
05-22-2019, 09:43 PM
It will work just fine.

rustychisel
05-22-2019, 09:44 PM
It will work just fine.

Second that

oldpotatoe
05-23-2019, 06:34 AM
I imagine that fewer threads will be engaged - is that an issue in reality? Why would it matter if there are enough threads for the fixed cog?
Does chainline change?
Thanks

Third that and depending on hub and a comparable fixed cog, the SS cog 'may' be a little further outboard but not an issue..

NHAero
05-23-2019, 08:07 AM
Thanks folks!
I have a double fixed Phil hub on the Nagasawa, was thinking a lower gear in a single speed might be easier on the old knees at this point.

oldpotatoe
05-23-2019, 08:14 AM
Thanks folks!
I have a double fixed Phil hub on the Nagasawa, was thinking a lower gear in a single speed might be easier on the old knees at this point.

I did the same..when Moots was a fixie...16t on the fixed side and 17t SS freewheel on the other if I found myself way out and cooked..

mktng
05-23-2019, 08:20 AM
WI fw on Phil hub with fixed/lockring threads.
zero issues.

NHAero
05-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Thanks!
Do I "need" the White Industries freewheel or are the Shimano ones of sufficient quality? I'm looking for a 19T, that may be a determinant.

WI fw on Phil hub with fixed/lockring threads.
zero issues.

mktng
05-23-2019, 09:10 AM
you dont neeeed WI.
but you know you waaant WI

NHAero
05-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Hah! True enuf...know nothing about the single speed freewheel market, so WI and Shimano are the ones that show up quickest.

you dont neeeed WI.
but you know you waaant WI

MURDERF4CE
05-23-2019, 09:43 AM
I've always used these for singlespeeds

http://www.excessbmx.com/products/freewheels

NHAero
05-23-2019, 09:52 AM
I'm using an 1/8" chain, if that makes a difference (I'd think it would - I imagine a 3/32" cog would work but be noisier?)

cribbit
05-23-2019, 10:14 AM
I wish more companies made double fixed hubs. Way more versatile.

NHAero
05-23-2019, 10:49 AM
And the Phil Wood hubs can be obtained with hex key bolts so you don't need to be carrying a wrench around to swap sides.

I wish more companies made double fixed hubs. Way more versatile.

NHAero
06-18-2019, 06:40 PM
I bought a Sturmey Archer because it was a 1/8" tooth width, but it seems very low quality and it is a real boat anchor (>1/2 pound). I have an 1/8" chain and chainring, how much will using a 3/32" freewheel cog matter? Will it be noisier?

rustychisel
06-18-2019, 10:15 PM
You can use a 3/32 cog with 1/8 chain; people have been doing it for years. In my experience (limited*) it'll be fine but you might hear some 'grindiness'... I suspect because the chain moves a little laterally due to increased plate width.

*I just never saw the point in using anything other than 3/32 on road based fixed gear riding.

Bisquik
07-17-2019, 09:11 PM
Ive put a single speed freewheel on a fixie side. There was enough thread engagement. It's been fine for 8 years.

mmfs
07-17-2019, 09:58 PM
No problem with my 1/8” chain on a 3/32” Shimano freewheel

07-18-2019, 12:03 PM
You'll like the feel and sound of an old 3/32" chain on a 3/32" freewheel, versus an 1/8" chain. Note that there were the original 3/32" chains and now the increasingly narrower ones. Get the original ones. The Shimano HG-91 was possibly the finest chain ever made and far outlasts an Izumi V or anything on the track. It was the reason why some riders would use 3/32" drive instead of 1/8" even for power events. It's long since discontinued, as far as I know, but you can always find them on eBay. They have full rivets, a great finish, and are simply bulletproof. If you have a 3/32" freewheel and chainring, there's no reason to go to a 1/8" track chain for the best results.

One point that still doesn't get enough attention is that an old fashioned pair of 5 or 6 speed freewheel wheels goes for nickels on eBay or at bike swaps but are 120 or 126 mm spaced and are the same hub threading and design that single speed freewheel hubs were originally designed for. You can get a great pair of wheels for next to nothing and have early generation Phil road hubs or Campy Nuovo Record or the like. Those were bulletproof and make great winter or training fixie or singlespeed wheels. With a freewheel you can absolutely use a quick release in the rear -- it's only with a fixed gear that there's any different kind of pull on the hub in the stay ends and even then I trained for years with a quick release 6-speed freewheel hub and a single speed fixed cog mounted on it. I did have brakes on the bike, which I'd encourage you to do anyway. But these old wheels are a great way to put together a very trick bike. Last winter I found a pair of Nuovo Record high flange hubs, very lightly used, with Mavic Bleu SSC tubular rims on them, for a total of $75. Win.

bambam
07-19-2019, 02:31 PM
be sure to check the threading.

I think there may be slight differences.

This is from memory but I think phil and campy have different threads than shimano, suzie, et all.

I thinks its very small but could make a difference one way but not the other.
(i.e. can use phil cogs on Shimano hubs but not shimano cogs on phil hubs???)
If i remember correctly I got a origin 8 cog because it was the same threading as campy/phil.

maybe 1.37 vs 1.375 tpi ???

cnighbor1
07-19-2019, 03:36 PM
there is a 2 cog freewheel that allows a bit of a choice 17t 19t

White Industries DOS ENO Freewheel
Product qualifies for Free Shipping
The clean simple lines of a single speed bike are undeniably elegant, but there are times when one gear simply isn't enough. In keeping with the simplicity single speeders strive to maintain, White Industries developed the DOS ENO freewheel. Two gears on one freewheel. The chain is manually moved from one position to the next which allows the rider flexibility when riding in a situation that demands an easier or harder gear. They offer the DOS in sizes 16/18 (blue lock ring) , 17/19 (red lock ring), and 20/22 (red lock ring). 196 grams. Made in the USA
http://www.bikeman.com/WIND-FWDOSENO1618.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1MXpBRDjARIsAHtdN-3U19bYOdsXVar2YdPq92vA55XuNU99hck_bPg3cwGaUyoYHacM BA8aAuBhEALw_wcB

oldpotatoe
07-20-2019, 06:56 AM
be sure to check the threading.

I think there may be slight differences.

This is from memory but I think phil and campy have different threads than shimano, suzie, et all.

I thinks its very small but could make a difference one way but not the other.
(i.e. can use phil cogs on Shimano hubs but not shimano cogs on phil hubs???)
If i remember correctly I got a origin 8 cog because it was the same threading as campy/phil.

maybe 1.37 vs 1.375 tpi ???

The place where the track cog(or SS freewheel) lives, that threading is all the same. The lockring threading is indeed different for Phil/Campagnolo/Miche and all the other, mainly Japanese, type track hubs.

NHAero
08-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Rode the Nagasawa this week and it reminded me I want to try a singlespeed. Will the White Industries singlespeed freewheel yield the same chainline as a typical fixed cog?
Thanks

stephenmarklay
08-24-2019, 06:16 AM
This is good info… I am currently in the SS mode and this is a timely topic.

I love the suggestions of looking for old 5-6 speed stuff. Thank you!

oldpotatoe
08-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Rode the Nagasawa this week and it reminded me I want to try a singlespeed. Will the White Industries singlespeed freewheel yield the same chainline as a typical fixed cog?
Thanks

Well, if mounted on the part of the fixed side, the SS 'cog' is going to be a wee bit more outboard but not much as track cogs have a little shoulder so chain isn't too close to the hub/spokes..not enough to matter..

NHAero
08-24-2019, 07:56 AM
Thanks!
Just bought a slightly used White Industries freewheel on ebay, so I'll see for myself pretty soon!

NHAero
09-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Closing the loop - mounted the WI freewheel yesterday and rode today. No noticeably different noise factor running the 1/8” chain and chainring with the 3/32” freewheel cog. All works fine.
Thanks for all your help