PDA

View Full Version : OT - Please help me identify this hardwood (pic)

veggieburger
05-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Just started splitting some logs. The bark is very course, the wood is very heavy, and the inside looks like below. It's sort of wavy. I have no idea what it is. Do you?

https://davidbikes.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/img_0112.jpg?w=584

MattTuck
05-22-2019, 09:11 AM
Not sure, but looks similar to some oak I've seen.

I threw it into google image search in hopes that would give me some clues... most of the similar images are knitted sweaters... so that's an option as well.:banana:

Jaybee
05-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Picture of the bark and any leaves would be helpful, if available.

Ruckusdog
05-22-2019, 09:36 AM
I’m a woodworker. It doesn’t look like any green or dry hardwood I’ve ever seen. The open pores look like a partially rotted log that’s been lying on the ground for a while. Is it heavy because it’s wet?

hummus_aquinas
05-22-2019, 09:45 AM
https://memegenerator.net/img/images/14449930.jpg

Mzilliox
05-22-2019, 09:46 AM
that looks like oak thats not quite dry yet.

ColonelJLloyd
05-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Picture of the bark and any leaves would be helpful, if available.

+1 More pics would help.

When you say the bark is very coarse, what do you mean? Are you familiar with shagbark hickory?

veggieburger
05-22-2019, 09:55 AM
I’m a woodworker. It doesn’t look like any green or dry hardwood I’ve ever seen. The open pores look like a partially rotted log that’s been lying on the ground for a while. Is it heavy because it’s wet?

My brother thought oak in need of seasoning. So far as the rot, I have no idea....certainly doesn't look rotted to my eye. Have not attempted to burn yet.

veggieburger
05-22-2019, 09:55 AM
+1 More pics would help.

When you say the bark is very coarse, what do you mean? Are you familiar with shagbark hickory?

Will upload this eve.

redir
05-22-2019, 10:08 AM
It is unusual looking being all pitted like that but White Oak is a reasonable guess. Where do you live? If Frosty North is New England then there sure is a lot of oak.

fmradio516
05-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Where is the best source to start learning how to identify woods? I am always on the search for Oak, Maple, and Apple for my smoker. A lot of times, on free craigslist, there is a ton of free wood but they dont know what it is.

Mzilliox
05-22-2019, 10:47 AM
My brother thought oak in need of seasoning. So far as the rot, I have no idea....certainly doesn't look rotted to my eye. Have not attempted to burn yet.

thats my thoughts exactly. I was splitting this same type wood 3 days ago. itd burn just fine as is, but it'll burn even better in the fall.

Mzilliox
05-22-2019, 10:49 AM
double

ElvisMerckx
05-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Sycamore?

Marc40a
05-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Looks like Oak to me.

You might want to season that bad larry for 2 years, if possible. That weight you're feeling is all water. Oak takes a loooong time to give up the goods.

veggieburger
05-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Looks like Oak to me.

You might want to season that bad larry for 2 years, if possible. That weight you're feeling is all water. Oak takes a loooong time to give up the goods.

Will do. thanks all!

Peter B
05-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Another vote for unseasoned oak.

bob heinatz
05-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Looks like Oak that I split alot.

redir
05-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Where is the best source to start learning how to identify woods? I am always on the search for Oak, Maple, and Apple for my smoker. A lot of times, on free craigslist, there is a ton of free wood but they dont know what it is.

This is an excellent site: https://www.wood-database.com/

zmalwo
05-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Am I the only one who's feeling some kind of phobia from the pattern?

fmradio516
05-22-2019, 12:54 PM
This is an excellent site: https://www.wood-database.com/

This is awesome! Thanks!

NHAero
05-22-2019, 01:01 PM
I have a woodshed full of mostly white oak and it doesn't look like that. But that looks like wood that's begun to decay from laying on the ground, as someone previously said.

oliver1850
05-22-2019, 01:24 PM
It doesn't look like oak to me. Pic of the bark would help. Oak has a very distinctive smell, but that only helps if you know it.

redir
05-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Am I the only one who's feeling some kind of phobia from the pattern?

It's not Snake Wood ;)

This is awesome! Thanks!

You bet.

MattTuck
05-22-2019, 01:48 PM
For those of you splitting wood, are you using a hydraulic splitter or a maul? I need to split some stuff, and wondering how hard it is to do by hand.

NHAero
05-22-2019, 01:59 PM
By hand, but never more than 1-3/4 cords annually. Get a rubber collar for the handle so when you miss (particularly when using a steel wedge) if you get a wooden handled maul.

I've found it relaxing to split wood, but don't ever take it as a "gotta get it done this weekend" task. I have a woodshed to keep the rain off, and to hold enough wood to have a year's worth ahead so it's dry.

For those of you splitting wood, are you using a hydraulic splitter or a maul? I need to split some stuff, and wondering how hard it is to do by hand.

smead
05-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Live oak, but can't be sure w/o seeing the bark.

C40_guy
05-22-2019, 08:33 PM
Might want to mosey on over to hearth.com.

Lots of wood experts there, and plenty of interesting threads on woodburning and other stuff... :)

Willy
05-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Live oak, but can't be sure w/o seeing the bark.

Doesn’t look Live to me.:):)

Peter B
05-22-2019, 10:24 PM
I've heated with wood only for 20 years and my money's still on oak.

If its straight and not too big around a weighty maul or wedge will do just fine. Once it gets hefty, knotty or comes from old crotch wood you'll grow to appreciate hydraulics.

oliver1850
05-23-2019, 01:21 AM

I burn a ton of wood every week in the winter. I split most of it with a maul. I have a hydraulic splitter but it's horizontal only. Anything over 18" or so is too heavy to lift, so the bulk of my firewood is split with a maul or wedge. Maul heads vary greatly, some work well and some don't.

Straight grained woods like walnut, cherry, ash, and oak will split very easily if they don't have knots or branches and are under 12' or so in diameter.

Marc40a
05-23-2019, 01:42 PM
I've told my wife many times before, "I might not be the faster runner, or highest jumper, but I can split wood with the best of them"

that said...

If you've never tried a modern splitting axe like a Fiskars X27, I'd recommended it. It's almost surgical in its precision. If you're shorter, the X25 may be the better axe for you.

I really enjoy splitting. We go through 2-4 cords a year.

OtayBW
05-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Asking us to ID a bolt of wood without seeing the bark is like trying to ID a book by reading a section from page 22. No pics of the bark?

BTW - If you're splitting by hand, then it is very likely NOT sycamore. That is some tough stuff. I've always preferred red oak myself, if available. Easy to split with an 8-lb maul. I also used to cut cedar (snag) shake bolts in the PAC NW with a froe and mallet. That was a real treat.....:eek: :cool:

oliver1850
05-25-2019, 11:39 PM
I've told my wife many times before, "I might not be the faster runner, or highest jumper, but I can split wood with the best of them"

that said...

If you've never tried a modern splitting axe like a Fiskars X27, I'd recommended it. It's almost surgical in its precision. If you're shorter, the X25 may be the better axe for you.

I really enjoy splitting. We go through 2-4 cords a year.

What kind of wood are you using? I've tried lighter mauls like the Fiskars but always go back to the 8 lb. mauls for the tough hardwoods I need to split.

thunderworks
05-26-2019, 08:17 AM
I'm a furniture maker and have felled and milled a lot of trees over the years. I think there's a good chance it's Pin Oak . . . A completely crappy furniture wood, but excellent firewood. The color looks right, and the short longitudinal pitch pockets/grain look like Pin Oak.

Pin Oaks are not native to much of the US, but the landscape nursery business introduced the trees to much of the country in the mid 20th century. Super fast growing oak trees.

OtayBW
05-26-2019, 08:42 AM
I'm a furniture maker and have felled and milled a lot of trees over the years. I think there's a good chance it's Pin Oak . . . A completely crappy furniture wood, but excellent firewood. The color looks right, and the short longitudinal pitch pockets/grain look like Pin Oak.

Pin Oaks are not native to much of the US, but the landscape nursery business introduced the trees to much of the country in the mid 20th century. Super fast growing oak trees.Yes. The pitch pockets thing sounds right. Pin oak not widespread, but not completely uncommon in the SE - especially in/near wetlands.