PDA

View Full Version : Any experience rebuilding a Moots YBB?

NHAero
05-22-2019, 06:30 AM
Moots has instructions on their web site - I'm looking for actual experience, how hard is it to get it back together?
Thanks

tuscanyswe
05-22-2019, 08:28 AM
I dont have exp unfortunately.

But this comment by someone in your possition makes it seem easy to me.

"Rebuilt the YBB slider today with the 80mm Moots rebuild kit. Much easier than I imagined. Funny thing was the "washer" in the bottom of the spring area of the slider turned out to be a penny. Not sure if that was OEM standard at the time of construction or what. Funny nevertheless. The work goes on. I plan to know this bike inside out by the time I head out."

oldpotatoe
05-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Moots has instructions on their web site - I'm looking for actual experience, how hard is it to get it back together?
Thanks

WAY simple...and easy to get back together. Remember the slider moves up and down thru that part of the frame..but very simple...look at wear on the slider and replace if goughed..

Steve in SLO
05-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Echo what OP says.
It took me 15 minutes and that was because I was inspecting/cleaning carefully.

NHAero
05-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Super, thanks people!
It's 20 years old and looks as though max travel on the slider is just under 1/2", so I also wonder what the spring is, as there are two options listed, hard and soft. I'm 142 pounds and now that it's a drop bar "monster cross" it's not pushed as hard, so if I have the hard spring and could get a softer spring I'd try that too.

Steve in SLO
05-22-2019, 01:13 PM
You could always order a soft spring and shim it up with pennies, as noted above.