PDA

View Full Version : 6/7 speed Chain on 9/10 Speed Crankset

edward12
05-20-2019, 07:47 PM
I'm in the process of building up an older frameset with Campy Nuovo Record front and rear derailleurs. I's rather not use the Campy crankset of the period, so I thought I would buy an IRD Defiant compact 9/10 crankset instead, which is stronger and offers a more useable range of gears.

Question is: can I use a 6/7 speed chain with a 9/10 crankset? I believe that I can, but the chainring spacing could be an issue. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Spaghetti Legs
05-20-2019, 08:51 PM
In general, I use 8 speed SRAM or KMC chains on my 6 and 7 speed bikes. For the recent Eroica California I put a Velo Orange 46-34 crank on my 6 speed Super Record bike. In this case I used a Campy 10 speed chain because I already had one in the right length and it worked fine. Otherwise I would have used 8 speed. All my vintage bike friends assured me it would work fine.

Not quite a direct answer for you but I would use your current chain if it’s still good as I think it will work and if not, the aforementioned 8 speed chains cost < $15 and come with a master link.

ultraman6970
05-20-2019, 10:39 PM
IMO will work just fine.

oldpotatoe
05-21-2019, 08:20 AM
I'm in the process of building up an older frameset with Campy Nuovo Record front and rear derailleurs. I's rather not use the Campy crankset of the period, so I thought I would buy an IRD Defiant compact 9/10 crankset instead, which is stronger and offers a more useable range of gears.

Question is: can I use a 6/7 speed chain with a 9/10 crankset? I believe that I can, but the chainring spacing could be an issue. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yes you can but on my friction rig, i use a 9s chain even tho I have a 6s freewheel in the back(and '10s' crank in front). What you 'may' find with a thicker chain on that crank is chain tickling the big ring when in the small ring and small-ish cogs..another reason for a 9s chain..

Why '9s'? Cheaper than 10s...Nice KMC for not much $..

oliver1850
05-21-2019, 04:15 PM
I just finished replacing the drive train on an older MTB. Used a 9 speed triple crank, 9 speed chain, and a 7 speed Shimano China freewheel. Shifts fine and no rub even when cross chained. I'm running 9 speed chains on several other 6/7/8 builds with no problems. I seem to come across better deals on 9 speed chains than 6/7/8 for some reason.

mtechnica
05-21-2019, 04:26 PM
It will work but an 8 speed chain will run and shift smoother

jemdet
05-21-2019, 05:02 PM
Why '9s'?

Because you get to use Record 9V chains - the best in the world :)

choke
05-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Yes you can but on my friction rig, i use a 9s chain even tho I have a 6s freewheel in the back(and '10s' crank in front). What you 'may' find with a thicker chain on that crank is chain tickling the big ring when in the small ring and small-ish cogs..another reason for a 9s chain..

Why '9s'? Cheaper than 10s...Nice KMC for not much $..Bingo. I also use a 9sp chain on the vintage bikes for the reason in bold.

ColonelJLloyd
05-21-2019, 08:58 PM
I'll pile on with all the others. Use a 9 (or 8) speed chain.