PDA

View Full Version : Found on latest ride...

William
05-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Just laying on the pavement along a rural local road...I hope no one takes their parking spot.:bike:

:)
William

Heisenberg
05-20-2019, 09:18 PM
why did you feel the inclination to post this?

shoota
05-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Can you imagine if that said "Parking for whites only"?

Tony
05-20-2019, 09:28 PM
Most likely because its unusual to allow parking for one race of people only. Stating others will suffer the consequence.

AngryScientist
05-20-2019, 09:40 PM
years ago i had a sign very similar to this in my driveway.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TioAAOSwbElZbe6W/s-l300.jpg

FlashUNC
05-20-2019, 10:21 PM
Can you imagine if that said "Parking for whites only"?

The reaction would probably be quite a bit different. Why, one might ask?

Context matters:

1) For, oh, say, half a millenia across a couple continents, a "Whites Only" sign went deeper than just a sign at the side of the road. It spoke to only approved participants in the political, economic and social power structures of broader society. This is not a United States only-issue, but really if you're talking the history of Western civilization, it is one rooted in a "White Only Parking" mindset, if you get my drift.

2) Particularly in the United States, there is a long and ugly history of white supremacy. I won't dive into the details -- we all know it -- but the reality is a sign that said "Whites Only Parking" meant something in our not too distant past. And it had a very drastic meaning depending on factors that were largely determining by genetic dice that were rolled at the time of one's conception. For some, a sign like that still means something.

The irony this is a sign highlighting an ethnic group that was, itself, subjugated by American expansionism in some uber late 19th/early 20th century Apex Manifest Destiny writ large across the Pacific is not lost on the subject matter either.

So to your question, yes, there would be a very different reaction to a "Whites Parking Only" sign, because the legacy of that kind of language is entirely too fraught that any of us with a passing understanding of the last few hundred years of social order know that it means anything other than menace, the implicit threat of violence and a call to preserve things "as they've always been."

This is just a lazy and stupid sign.

ultraman6970
05-20-2019, 10:30 PM
That sign is just super funny :) did you take it home? :) I would put it in my living room :D

Peter P.
05-21-2019, 04:56 AM
Did you look up the city ordinance printed at the bottom of the sign?

WNC rider
05-21-2019, 05:02 AM
Holy cow, it's a novelty sign, they're <$20 on eBay.

CunegoFan
05-21-2019, 06:05 AM
The reaction would probably be quite a bit different. Why, one might ask?

Context matters:

1) For, oh, say, half a millenia across a couple continents, a "Whites Only" sign went deeper than just a sign at the side of the road. It spoke to only approved participants in the political, economic and social power structures of broader society. This is not a United States only-issue, but really if you're talking the history of Western civilization, it is one rooted in a "White Only Parking" mindset, if you get my drift.

2) Particularly in the United States, there is a long and ugly history of white supremacy. I won't dive into the details -- we all know it -- but the reality is a sign that said "Whites Only Parking" meant something in our not too distant past. And it had a very drastic meaning depending on factors that were largely determining by genetic dice that were rolled at the time of one's conception. For some, a sign like that still means something.

The irony this is a sign highlighting an ethnic group that was, itself, subjugated by American expansionism in some uber late 19th/early 20th century Apex Manifest Destiny writ large across the Pacific is not lost on the subject matter either.

So to your question, yes, there would be a very different reaction to a "Whites Parking Only" sign, because the legacy of that kind of language is entirely too fraught that any of us with a passing understanding of the last few hundred years of social order know that it means anything other than menace, the implicit threat of violence and a call to preserve things "as they've always been."

This is just a lazy and stupid sign.

Oh, brother. The typical leftist excuse for racism against whites. Is it really so hard for you to think everyone should be treated the same?

William
05-21-2019, 07:19 AM
Sign says this..."xxx"

"But what if it said this.... Well then OMG I can't believe...!!!!" Except it didn't.

Holy cow, it's a novelty sign, they're <$20 on eBay.

Someone gets it.

It was a found item on the road, I posted it because its not something you see every day. It's obviously a novelty sign, I knew a family from Samoa who had one hanging in their driveway and they obviously found it humorous. I'm willing to bet that who ever had it probably did as well.

W.