PDA

View Full Version : Commuting Bike

Redbeard
12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Howdy All,
A friend of mine couldn’t satisfactorily expound on the subject below, so he suggested I post it here (he claims to frequent this site; hopefully he’s not stringing me out…).

I’m looking for a new commuter/around-the-city&countryside bike. My knowledge of bikes is fairly short and I’ve been a bit overwhelmed at the options. With all the decisions I’m not really sure how to get what I’m looking for, or if what I’m looking for will make me happy.

What I’m looking for, or think I’m looking for:
-Comfortable on our poorly paved (and poorly plowed) Boston roads. (6 miles)
-Appropriate for riding with heavy traffic. (much traffic & lights)
-Sturdy & simple bike with few things to break and/or easy to repair, needs to get me to work everyday.
-Accommodate panniers and/or front basket daily for groceries, briefcase, Sunday picnic, etc.
-An upright sitting position (I’m most comfortable when I sit up riding no-hands; I just have trouble doing that in traffic!)
-Ability to ride on carriage & fire roads would be nice.

Bikes & parts I think may work, this is where I think I need the most help:
-Breezer, Biria and other stock commuter/hybrid style bikes. I’ve tried these, but they have a very jarring ride (I think it’s the aluminum).
-Internal gear hub seem to make good sense for commuting as I can shift them at a light, protect work pants from the chain & I don’t have to worry about the derailer, which has been the single most troublesome part of my present bike; I know they work well, but seemingly not with me.
-The Raleigh One-Way, Bianchi San Jose & Redline 925 seem to be common around here and a couple shops promoted them. I tried them all, and I like their ride quality. Though they are single speed, they can take an internal gear hub. These seem to be the most promising now if I use a moustache handlebar (Nitto Albatross?), but not sure they can accept the wider tires (32-35mm) with fenders that may be useful around here.
-Kogswell P/R. A local shop built one up as a commuter. I liked the ride, but a little tender in the steering. It didn’t have a front basket/rack; presumably weight up front improves the ride? I like the idea of a front basket/rack for carrying a pack or case.
-Rivendell. The Atlantis & Saluka seem like great all-around bikes that would work great for me. Yet, new they are out of my price-range; and would it be acceptable to put internal gear hubs on one? Are there any more moderately priced alternatives to the Rivendells? Unfortunately, I couldn’t find many used ones; I get the impression folks that buy them aren’t likely to sell them.

I’ve tried to think through this a good deal, but I feel like I’m getting lost in the woods here.

Any thoughts?

Smiley
12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
the Kogswell P/R comes with three ( 3 ) fork options test ride one with a longer trail for a slower steering feel. Also don't rule out a Surly Cross Check which is what I put my wife on for commuting to work in DC traffic , just as you said up-right and with BIG tires.

72gmc
12-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Of the list you've made, I think the Kogs or the San Jose would meet your needs and be fine choices. Not sure about rack mounts on the San Jose, however. But Harris Cyclery does offer an internal-hub version of it, already built.

SoCalSteve
12-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Bianchi Milano..http://bianchiusa.com/07_milano.html

Check it out!

Good luck,

Steve

Ray
12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
...check out the Bleriot. It's a 650b wheeled bike like the Saluki and the Kogswell but is less than half the price of the Atlantis. When I read your description of what you wanted, that was the first thing that ocurred to me. Riv will set it up for you with a very upright position if that's what you want, with swept back bars and the works.

Good luck,

-Ray

twin
12-06-2006, 09:13 PM
I have a Bleriot and it will do all you want. You might want to go to Yahoo groups and go to the Bleriot group and read about them.

fogrider
12-07-2006, 12:42 AM
get the surly cross check or a soma double cross and build it with an internal gear hub.

http://130.94.226.209/
http://www.surlybikes.com/crosscheck.html

I like the soma because of the better tubing, but both follow the same thinking...cool steel cross frame with eyelets. the surly has horz. rear dropouts which may work better for internal hub. both these frames are cheap! you may consider other cross frames...

nowheels
12-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Of the list you've made, I think the Kogs or the San Jose would meet your needs and be fine choices. Not sure about rack mounts on the San Jose, however. But Harris Cyclery does offer an internal-hub version of it, already built.

I did the Harris internal hub with my San Jose back in Feb this past year. I have to say it's heavy......but it gets the job done. In retrospec I should have gotten a Volpe when all was said and done. They do take rack's just fine.

Redbeard
12-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Thank-you all very much for your thoughts & suggestions.
I've all but decided to go with the Kogswell P/R.
Seems to be the best bike for my goals.

As for the Bleriot, I was truly interested & checked out the Yahoo group, but they noted it had a vertical dropout and would have made the internal gear hub a more difficult prospect than I desired.

I checked out the Surly too. It would have fit the bill, but I like the style & front rack of the P/R more.

Thanks!

Smiley
12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Say Hello to Matt if you order direct from him. Best of luck and GREAT choice :banana:

big shanty
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Someone who is "not particularly into bikes" should not drop $700 on a production Rivendell frame and then be faced w/ parting it up.. My advice....get an old 70s-80s road beater for $50, slap on an upright or moustache bar and some comfortable grips/cushy tape, cruiser brake levers or new cheap-o (Tektro) road levers (for moustache bar), fattish 1.25" tires, big, chunky flat pedals (downhill MTB), a decent saddle, fenders, replace the brake pads w/ new Kool Stops. You could have it done, all told, for $250-$300 even if you throw in a new Brooks. Why waste this person's money on a brand new, entry-level bike that they may or may not ride consistently? My 2c.

big shanty
12-12-2006, 05:50 PM
I pieced this bike (an old B-stone) together for my husky, non-biker brother a few summers ago. Jealous?!

Steve Hampsten
12-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Mr. Beard,

There is a custom builder in your area who specializes in exactly what you are describing: Mike Flanigan at ANT. See www.antbikemike.com to get an idea of what he does - maybe a little pricier that what you are looking for but his bikes are great, classic, and will age like almost nothing else.

The Kogswell or Bleriot would be fine, too, I'm sure...

This from Mike's home page:

Alternative Needs Transportation, or A.N.T., is a one-person shop run by Mike Flanigan. Mike is dedicated to building bikes for transportation that have the right combination of function and style. Mike has been in the bike trade since 1983 and joined the Boston bike building scene in 1989.

Mike's passion for the bike industry and the culture of living by bike shows in the creation of A.N.T. "I not only hope to meet the needs of people's commuter bikes, but to influence the consumers to think about bicycle commuting in a more positive way. I love all types of cycling but feel that there is a real need to bring to the table bikes that have the right combination of style and function that is so lacking in the market. Most people have this fear of investing in a bike for commuting, but it is their most-used bike!"

Favorite quote: "When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the future of the human race."--H.G.Wells

I make all types of bikes, but as you see I am into commuter bikes and the like. Please consider me when you want a finely-crafted bicycle that has a real personality and will suit your city riding needs.

I've met the guy, hung in his shop, and he's the real deal.

Good luck!

Climb01742
12-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Mr. Beard,

There is a custom builder in your area who specializes in exactly what you are describing: Mike Flanigan at ANT. See www.antbikemike.com to get an idea of what he does - maybe a little pricier that what you are looking for but his bikes are great, classic, and will age like almost nothing else.

The Kogswell or Bleriot would be fine, too, I'm sure...

This from Mike's home page:

Alternative Needs Transportation, or A.N.T., is a one-person shop run by Mike Flanigan. Mike is dedicated to building bikes for transportation that have the right combination of function and style. Mike has been in the bike trade since 1983 and joined the Boston bike building scene in 1989.

Mike's passion for the bike industry and the culture of living by bike shows in the creation of A.N.T. "I not only hope to meet the needs of people's commuter bikes, but to influence the consumers to think about bicycle commuting in a more positive way. I love all types of cycling but feel that there is a real need to bring to the table bikes that have the right combination of style and function that is so lacking in the market. Most people have this fear of investing in a bike for commuting, but it is their most-used bike!"

Favorite quote: "When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the future of the human race."--H.G.Wells

I make all types of bikes, but as you see I am into commuter bikes and the like. Please consider me when you want a finely-crafted bicycle that has a real personality and will suit your city riding needs.

I've met the guy, hung in his shop, and he's the real deal.

Good luck!

mr hampsten, you are a classy act. sincerely, mr climb.

Steve Hampsten
12-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Smoke and mirrors, my friend, smoke and mirrors...

palincss
12-12-2006, 07:34 PM
What I’m looking for, or think I’m looking for:
-Comfortable on our poorly paved (and poorly plowed) Boston roads. (6 miles)
-Appropriate for riding with heavy traffic. (much traffic & lights)
-Sturdy & simple bike with few things to break and/or easy to repair, needs to get me to work everyday.
-Accommodate panniers and/or front basket daily for groceries, briefcase, Sunday picnic, etc.
-An upright sitting position (I’m most comfortable when I sit up riding no-hands; I just have trouble doing that in traffic!)
-Ability to ride on carriage & fire roads would be nice.

-Kogswell P/R. A local shop built one up as a commuter. I liked the ride, but a little tender in the steering. It didn’t have a front basket/rack; presumably weight up front improves the ride? I like the idea of a front basket/rack for carrying a pack or case.

Here's my new commuter, a 61.6 cm Kogswell P/R. Lighting is Schmidt SON front hub, Lumotec lamp up front, Spanninga SPXb and a UK-spec Cateye blinkie rear. I carry the load up front on a tubus tara lowrider - silver's not available in the US, so I bought it from SJS Cycles in the UK.

Smooth as a dream, and very stable and comfortable. This one has the 30mm trail fork.