PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Tubular. I am dum.

msngr
05-20-2019, 08:39 AM
So, through a series of not hilarious (to me) events, I had to emergency tape an unstretched tubular onto my ye olde Zipp 440 in horrendous conditions. I use the valve extenders that go over the valve, and have always taken them off when racing. But when I went to put the extender back on, turns out I had taped the tire on with the valve at an angle, and I cannot get the extender back on, or even get anything in there to deflate the tire.

So I have this tire stuck on and the only solution I can think of is waiting until the tire naturally loses air to get this thing off. It is a butyl inner tube, so while that means I am not too worried about the tube getting damaged by holding air, it does mean that I am going to wait all season for deflation this way.

Anyone know any tricks or have any ideas? C’mon Paceline. You can do it!

ultraman6970
05-20-2019, 08:44 AM
Well... if you remove the extenders that means the valve core is still open???, if still open then use a stick to press the valve core down???? Unless you closed the valve cores before remover the extenders.

Wont take that long for the tubular to lose some air IMO, maybe a couple of weeks then try to unglue it...

hollowgram5
05-20-2019, 09:05 AM
Well... if you remove the extenders that means the valve core is still open???, if still open then use a stick to press the valve core down???? Unless you closed the valve cores before remover the extenders.

Wont take that long for the tubular to lose some air IMO, maybe a couple of weeks then try to unglue it...These were my initial thoughts as well.. good luck!

FlashUNC
05-20-2019, 09:23 AM
If you can't get anything in there to deflate the tire, your only option is poking a hole in the tire, deflating it and then replacing it.

AngryScientist
05-20-2019, 09:26 AM
i'd just fish around through the valve hole with an angled dental pick or piece of rigid wire. i can't imagine a scenario where you were able to remove the valve extender and the tires valve moved enough for you not to reach it with something through the hole. keep at it.