PDA

View Full Version : $25 Work Stand @ Aldi

kbone
05-19-2019, 01:41 PM
I went to Aldi today and saw this work stand for $24.99 and I figured, what the hell.

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/aldi-finds-for-may-15/may-15-detail/ps/p/bikemate-bike-work-stand-2/?fbclid=IwAR0DjaKxejsi_OONnfDvcGcBFzMjJnYeGSsw_M0f bMhg2VcETmMe5iancx0

All in all, I am impressed. It's not high quality by any means. But, it's solid enough to securely hold the bike while working on it. The clamp is fairly cheap feeling, but with proper care and attention, it shouldn't damage the frame.

Pics below:

Shoeman
05-19-2019, 01:53 PM
Bought mine 2 years ago at the end of summer clearance for $10 can't complain about it. It performs as it should even at $25 it is still a bargin. Aldi will reduce the price when it is time for it to go.

buddybikes
05-19-2019, 02:01 PM
I don't hold my frames by the tubes any longer, attach to seatpost.

peanutgallery
05-19-2019, 02:12 PM
The guy in the ad copy saved all that $$ on a stand but he couldn't spring for a shirt with a collar?

Weakness

weisan
05-19-2019, 02:12 PM
I have this and the Feedback Elite.
Both works just fine.

When using this, one trick I use is to rest the top tube on the clamp while it's open, adjust it such that when you close the clamp, it's still rather loose and then turn the bottom butterfly screw to micro-adjust the clamping force.

I have used this method for several years now. No bike or frame has ever suffered any dent or damage in my hands.

Knowing what you are doing is 10x more important than following some online advice or what other people say.

If you know what you are doing, you can stand right on the edge of the cliff and be as safe and sound as your fat cousin who is lying down on his couch watching TV. Actually safer and more sound....

berserk87
05-19-2019, 02:24 PM
The guy in the ad copy saved all that $$ on a stand but he couldn't spring for a shirt with a collar?

Weakness

His remaining cash was apparenlty spent on steroids.

charliedid
05-19-2019, 02:29 PM
I thought Aldi sold Cheerios by the case and 1 gallon size pickles?

Bike stand?

Dave B
05-19-2019, 02:40 PM

Bike stand?

They heard Walmart is going to sell $6k hard tail mountain bikes, so they are just trying to play catch up.

charliedid
05-19-2019, 02:49 PM
They heard Walmart is going to sell $6k hard tail mountain bikes, so they are just trying to play catch up.

Ketchup by the gallon case :p

ultraman6970
05-19-2019, 02:52 PM
INteresting.

harlond
05-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I bought one today.

capsized_cross
05-20-2019, 07:58 PM
Anyone have any experience with budget amazon ones
versus the quality of this ALDI one?

https://tinyurl.com/yxqhdlbh

kbone
05-20-2019, 09:03 PM
One clear difference is that this one only has 4 legs where the Aldi one has 5 legs. The 5th leg seems to makes it more stable.

kppolich
05-20-2019, 09:05 PM
For $25 I may try one of these out and just use the mount and pole from the ceiling and not use the base.

MilanoTom
05-22-2019, 12:18 PM
A couple of years ago, I bought one of these for somebody who wrenches with me on the Braking AIDS Ride. She loves it. It's a great stand for the money, and if you don't have a stand, it's well worth the investment. Just don't expect it to be as good (or as light) as a Feedback Sports stand.

Tom

redir
05-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Bike stand?

Was just about to say the same thing. They just opened one near me but I have yet to go. Apparently they are outperforming even Wal Mart now.

93KgBike
05-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Aldi is a German company... as is Trader Joe's.

johnniecakes
05-22-2019, 03:44 PM
We are big fans of Aldi, we do the majority of our weekly grocery shopping there. My only gripe is the speed and carelessness a few of the cashiers show when checking you out. I wish they would take 30 seconds more and place the items in the cart instead of tossing them in without looking

hellvetica
05-22-2019, 04:05 PM
I picked one up too. It's super solid and quality is surprisingly decent. Also a 3 year warranty. Come on. Why not.

echappist
05-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Aldi is a German company... as is Trader Joe's.

Quick clarification. Aldi is the portmanteau of Albrecht Diskont, Albrecht being the family that started the chain. It split up into Aldi North (which owns Trader Joes) and Aldi Sud (which owns the Aldi stores in the U.S.)

I picked one up too. It's super solid and quality is surprisingly decent. Also a 3 year warranty. Come on. Why not.

I'm seriously thinking of giving away/selling my Park stand (the one that doesn't collapse) and buying the Aldi stand, as the latter appears to save space

-------------------------------------------
And speaking of cycling related products from German discount stores, Lidl apparently sells quite a bit. Not sure if it really fits the clientele, but the prices are quite good. They were selling shoes (nylon or fiberglass soles, undoubtedly) for $25. Heck, I'd have sprung for them had Lidl been around when I started

https://cvqiza.by.files.1drv.com/y4mLc5ya7zXg38yPbMCfgrDDqtGA8jCEI5a4MQt-cB972lFPU2MWe4k9W89rCvY2D4XEZLlEaF8nNJbmsoGulyJ9jK us1TX7oEAJkmrb1Sbzgbt3T_J0EW7H-wKeMXmeGtOabFSEdngJA7xOqA_QNzbwkQMU4Pg4a5vG2Cl_83n 4OXjsIRhm6HbbIhY_GH0pf2MZnSP7MsIfwyeOl9Sn0NesQ?wid th=1024&height=775&cropmode=none

ultraman6970
05-22-2019, 11:26 PM
Anybody knows if the work stand is still for sale??? cant find a way to do a search per item in their website, maybe im just getting old? "(

oliver1850
05-23-2019, 12:51 AM
I bought one tonight. Local store had 3 on the shelf. It was listed in the local newspaper's junk mail advertising, but I wouldn't have looked through it if I hadn't seen this thread.

ultraman6970
05-23-2019, 12:58 AM
Looks like gonna have to go and check tomorrow morning, ideal to toss a spindoctor i have moving around. And light enough to leave the FRS-1 under a blanket for a very long time.

ultraman6970
05-23-2019, 08:40 AM
None in my city one.... they dont even list the phone numbers for the other stores to give them a call to see if they have some in stock... looks like they bring them in time to time, next time will be i guess ..

Gsinill
05-23-2019, 08:46 AM
The $12 floor pump doesn't look bad either...

cmbicycles
05-23-2019, 09:15 AM
They are a once a season thing I think. We do most of our shopping at Aldi, they are slated to become the #2 grocery store in the US in the next year or two.

For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to try the stand if I needed another. They will gladly take it back if you don't like it.

*** saw they had one there today, last one so they must have sold well.

ultraman6970
05-23-2019, 05:38 PM
Saw that... have 2 pumps... but for the price looks a lot better than the 10 bucks one POS one i got at ebay to get air in my kid's bikes. Funny thing, got that POS and had to take it appart, and put it back together with new screws and redo the seals... you get what you pay for but at least by looks the aldi one looks way better and robust...

The $12 floor pump doesn't look bad either...

oliver1850
05-23-2019, 11:25 PM
They are a once a season thing I think. We do most of our shopping at Aldi, they are slated to become the #2 grocery store in the US in the next year or two.

For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to try the stand if I needed another. They will gladly take it back if you don't like it.

The cashier told me that they aren't "on sale". Rather that they get things in and the price remains the same until the stock is gone. A bit confusing as I'm pretty sure the ad in the local paper listed an end date for the prices in the ad.

wildboar
07-31-2019, 08:22 PM
Just bought one of these, $24.99. It seems to hold the seatpost just fine.

shoota
08-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Just bought one of these, $24.99. It seems to hold the seatpost just fine.

I feel like I'm the only one whose clamp doesn't hold tight. It'll hold the bike under its own weight but the second I go to actually wrench on it it swivels.

seanile
08-01-2019, 09:29 AM
tie a tube around the clamps so there's a softer rubber interface with better grip

unterhausen
08-01-2019, 09:30 AM
that's not too surprising. Even a pro level Park shop stand at crushing levels of force might swivel. Unless you use it on a seat tube and actually do crush the tube, did that to the first frame I ever built.

People say that Aldi's wood chisels are pretty good, but those usually sell out quickly and they usually only have them a couple of times per year, at most. They were threatening to put in a store near here, but I see the building they were looking at is for rent, so maybe they decided not to do it. The closest store isn't too far, but it's over a big mountain and through a busy road construction site, so I haven't been there.

martl
08-01-2019, 10:24 AM
People say that Aldi's wood chisels are pretty good, but those usually sell out quickly and they usually only have them a couple of times per year, at most.
Its what Aldi (and Lidl) do, they put -often seasonal- stuff in their shops on a "while stock lasts" basis. This can even be some surplus stuff from a manufacturer with a good name on rare occasion, most of the time it at least will be no worse than standard import stuff, often at very good prices. For home gamer purposes, this will often do the job just fine, especially if it is an item where one isn't likely to have the demand for spares or service in a year or so.

I guess a 7$ chisel set is fine even if it isn't top quality, as it will enable folks to try the technique *before* spending 100+ on a quality set, and no one stops you from getting a really good set later if you find you use them often.

unterhausen
08-01-2019, 10:29 AM
It's not difficult to spend $100 on a single chisel. The aldis are reputed to hold an edge for a reasonable amount of time, so that's all you can ask for $7.

martl
08-01-2019, 10:59 AM
It's not difficult to spend $100 on a single chisel. The aldis are reputed to hold an edge for a reasonable amount of time, so that's all you can ask for $7.

i can get a set of "Kirsch" for 70 too...