PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Powermeter Question

Jmj2323
05-19-2019, 12:44 PM
Has anyone tried th Pioneer powermeter where you send your crank arm into them and they install it and send it back? For single leg version it’s only $499. It seems like a better way to go than Stages where I’d have an unused crank arm lying around. Thoughts?

Lanternrouge
05-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Pretty much everyone I know with Pioneer has been happy with it and lots of people around me have it. Stages will also install on your current crank.

Jmj2323
05-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Pretty much everyone I know with Pioneer has been happy with it and lots of people around me have it. Stages will also install on your current crank.

Thanks. I hadn’t heard that about Stages. I’ll check that out as well.

Gummee
05-19-2019, 02:33 PM

That was me. I bought a kit on one of the FB groups and sent my D/A crank in to get the PM attached.

Couple weeks later, got my cranks back with POW-Aaaarrrr!

It's been a fantastic bit of kit. No problems whatsoever

M

Wayne77
05-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Another option to consider is the Favero Assioma pedal based system. It gets great reviews...recommended highly on dcrainmaker.com. It got better reviews than the Garmin Vector 3. Single sided for only $414 on clevertraining.com. Dual pedal system is somewhere in the $600 range. I’ve had this system for a few weeks and have zero complaints so far. I love how easy it is to move from bike to bike.

https://www.clevertraining.com/assioma-pedal-based-cycling-power-meter

I think the site is running a 10% off deal right now..not sure if that is site wide or for selected items.

bitpuddle
05-20-2019, 06:14 AM
I had them install one on a non-drive side dura ace crank. The process was easy and the power meter has been trouble-free. That was my second pioneer power meter and they both were great.

The latest generation of pioneer meters is nicer than the one I have; Bluetooth support, etc.

Jmj2323
05-20-2019, 06:56 AM
I had them install one on a non-drive side dura ace crank. The process was easy and the power meter has been trouble-free. That was my second pioneer power meter and they both were great.

The latest generation of pioneer meters is nicer than the one I have; Bluetooth support, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll give it a shot. I saw there are some additional features on the latest that work with the Wahoo Bolt which is a bonus.

makoti
05-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll give it a shot. I saw there are some additional features on the latest that work with the Wahoo Bolt which is a bonus.

Can you elaborate on those features? I've been on the watch for a good, used cranks system, but this could be a possibility.
Do you know if they can attach to carbon cranks?

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently only works with Potenza Campy. All my stuff is Chorus. Too bad.

ariw
05-21-2019, 01:52 PM
+1 for the Assioma pedals, been riding them for a few months now. Incredibly easy setup and long battery life.

Ari

zmalwo
05-21-2019, 02:13 PM
just sell the left over crank arm on ebay. it's just a clean and glue on process so it's cheaper to do that with new arms in quantity than actually send in your piece and do it individually.

Wayne77
05-21-2019, 04:50 PM
+1 for the Assioma pedals, been riding them for a few months now. Incredibly easy setup and long battery life.

Ari

Adding to that, a pedal is arguably easier to transfer bike to bike (If you only have one PM) than a crank arm is. Not saying it’s hard to remove a crank arm but then you’ve got a bike sitting there with half a crank...and also implies your other bike has to be the same brand of crank.

There are certainly pros and cons either way but for me personally, if looking at an economical power meter (especially if you’re focused on left-only as a means to save money), I’d chose an Assioma or Garmin Vector 3 (in that order) over a crank arm solution any day of the week.