PDA

View Full Version : Adding V-brake mounts to disc only frame

jckid
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
So one of the Ti mountain bike frames I'm considering was built as a disc only frame. The builder said that he can easily add V-brake mounts to it for a small charge. I'm thinking that I'd like to have the option of both disc and V-brakes. My hesitation lies in the fact that the builder said that the cable routing is a little different on the disc only frame, and he tried to explain to me what I would need to do with the rear brake cable in order to run V-brakes. He mentioned something about "zip guides". It was pretty much all Greek to me!! Can someone explain to me if adding V-brake mounts is advisable and whether I'm going to have problems routing the cable to the rear brake? I want to make sure that he's not trying to talk me into something that is not really optimal.

gt6267a
12-06-2006, 12:16 PM
out of curiousity, why do you want to use v brakes? once you go disc, you'll never go back. or, at least that is true for me now that i have discs, i will never go back.

gdw
12-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Here's a simple solution for your framebuilder.
http://www.novacycles.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_107_190&products_id=968
Have him braze two of these on the top tube when he adds the bosses for the cantilevers. No zip ties necessary.

jckid
12-06-2006, 12:38 PM
No zip ties necessary.

Do you think that's what he meant by "zip guides"--that I'd have to zip tie the cable to the frame?

jckid
12-06-2006, 12:39 PM
why do you want to use v brakes?

Just thought it might be nice to have the option.

gdw
12-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Most likely. The frame probably was built with cable guides instead of cable stops. Most disk brakes use a full length hose or housing which runs from lever to brake while v's typically have sections of housing running from the lever to the front top tube cable stop and from the rear cable stop to the rear v brake noodle. You can run a rear v brake with continuous housing passing through the cable guides but it would be wise to zip tie it to the frame so that it doesn't move when the fork is turned. I believe that is what he was recommending.

British
12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Do you think that's what he meant by "zip guides"--that I'd have to zip tie the cable to the frame?

I think so.

jckid
12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Most likely. The frame probably was built with cable guides instead of cable stops. Most disk brakes use a full length hose or housing which runs from lever to brake while v's typically have sections of housing running from the lever to the front top tube cable stop and from the rear cable stop to the rear v brake noodle. You can run a rear v brake with continuous housing passing through the cable guides but it would be wise to zip tie it to the frame so that it doesn't move when the fork is turned. I believe that is what he was recommending.

Thanks for the explanation...that makes perfect sense. I will have to decide if I want discs. If I decide I want V's, I think I will go with another frame.

pdonk
12-06-2006, 04:09 PM
You have a few options.

1) There used to be an adapter available that allowed you to bolt a clamp to hold hydraulic lines to existing cable stops. I think Cannondale used them for a while.

2) There is this type of zip tie stop
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=175088&stc=1&d=1150702057

It looks like a bridge that the housing sits on and is then is zip tied down. Downside is that then you end up with an extra set of braze ons on teh frame should you go v brake.

3) A less than ideal solution are these things http://www.universalcycles.com/images/products/medium/200.jpg. I would suggest they would look bad, especially on a new custom bike.

if you do go V brake, make sure the bosses are threaded so you can take them out if you decide to run disks, looks much cleaner.

Jeremy
12-06-2006, 04:14 PM

If the frame is built with cable guides one can often buy (or make) inserts that convert the guides to stops.

Jeremy

gdw
12-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Running a full length housing with a rear v might actually help performance. The extra housing adds a little weight but the cable is pretty much sealed and protected from the elements.

billrick
12-06-2006, 04:58 PM
It sounds like you will have no problem running full cable housing to the last stop on the toptube and then curving it to the V-brake. I'm assuming your stops are on the top of the top tube at around 1 o'clock?

I am about to have the same surgery done to my IF. It is a disc-only frame with S&S couplings for travel. I prefer the disc brakes but I'm finding that the airlines are crushing the disc calipers or bending the rotors on 1 out of 3 flights (soft sided bag). The V-brakes will give me more versatility and an excuse for a new paint job!

:)