PDA

View Full Version : Frozen bolt on pad axle of Ultegra disc brake

Tommasini53
05-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Any forumites had to deal with this? The heads on the pad axles are standard screw driver slots that seem really soft alloy. I guess i'm going to be dremmeling it out. I assume there is some corrosion that froze it. Any thoughts on unseizing a soft alloy bolt??? :confused:

Peter P.
05-15-2019, 07:19 PM
If it's soft alloy, its rate of expansion/contraction should be greater than the mating metal.

Get a can of freeze spray, available at many auto parts stores if not the hardware store. Hit the bolt with the entire can if necessary.

Also, before you try the freeze spray, try working the screw in BOTH directions, always falling short of stripping the slot. Just rock the screwdriver back and forth, apply good pressure but not enough. Working it in both directions can often free stuck screws. You could saturate the screw with Liquid Wrench or similar penetrant.

Tommasini53
05-15-2019, 08:38 PM
If it's soft alloy, its rate of expansion/contraction should be greater than the mating metal.

Get a can of freeze spray, available at many auto parts stores if not the hardware store. Hit the bolt with the entire can if necessary.

Also, before you try the freeze spray, try working the screw in BOTH directions, always falling short of stripping the slot. Just rock the screwdriver back and forth, apply good pressure but not enough. Working it in both directions can often free stuck screws. You could saturate the screw with Liquid Wrench or similar penetrant.

Thank you...making a shopping list for the auto parts store. I wish shimano would spend the extra nickle on better alloys. Wife's gravel bike is a nice reminder of why i quit shimano back in the 80's.

hummus_aquinas
05-15-2019, 08:46 PM
Use that split cotter pin the new pads come with next time! https://www.cycleservicenordic.com/resources/product/250/037/400/1/2500374001.jpg?width=1024&height=768&bgcolor=fff

Tommasini53
05-15-2019, 09:02 PM
I purchased a couple of the shimano replacement brake pad-axles. Which are stupidly expensive for soft alloy.

Can I use the split-cotter pins on Ultegra calpers?? :confused: The split cotter pins seem like a much better design for the purpose AND nearly universally available at auto parts and hardware stores.