PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on the forum who knows the ins and outs of Santa Cruz MTBs?

schwa86
05-14-2019, 07:46 PM
I have a buddy who broke a part on his MTB. Santa Cruz being less than helpful. Trying to determine whether there might be other places to find the part, or in the alternative, some way to retro fit. It's the upper linkage on a Santa Cruz blur -- he says model number is LTc2. He has been emailing around various shops. I am not a MTB rider so this is all a bit of a mystery to me, but the collective wisdom of PL hasn't let me down yet!

Jaybee
05-14-2019, 08:05 PM
How specifically is SC being unhelpful?

If it's the older Blur that model has been out of production for several years now.

schwa86
05-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Thanks. I think it is definitely an older bike, and thus part of the issue. He has called them a couple of times trying to figure out whether and how he might find one, and my general sense is they are giving him a "not our problem" response. Not saying it should be necessarily... but am trying to figure out whether there are alternative approaches. He has been sleuthing ebay and calling around to a few bike stores as I mentioned.

HugoBear
05-14-2019, 09:02 PM
They brought the Blur back but if it the old generation, very unlikely to get any support. I think that bike is probably a 26 inch wheel bike, which zero manufacturers are currently supporting.

peanutgallery
05-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Small company=> full suspension=> no parts down the road. Niner will get you like this, too

Best bet is to knock some $ off a new one, but since that was basically another company back then your bud won't get much. Best bet is ebay the part or get a new bike. Not sure where you live but a 26" wheel is pretty miserable to ride around here. He will thank the gods (old gods and the new) that thing finally broke. For the record, mine broke too...in 2006:)

Jaybee
05-14-2019, 09:16 PM
I think your best chance is eBay or pinkbike classifieds for a parts donor frame.

Virtually zero chance that someone is sitting on a NOS 26er Blur upper linkage. There are usually one or two old Blur frames on my local (Denver) craigslist ever month though, so donor frames are out there.

ETA: peanut is 100% right that it’s new bike time. I’d only bother with the linkage if the bike has some serious sentimental value.

schwa86
05-14-2019, 09:17 PM
And if one breaks a part like a linkage, on an otherwise good bike, and can't find it, does one for example try to find someone that can do some machining to make some thing that will work? And are there people in the MTB community that do such things?

colker
05-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Small company=> full suspension=> no parts down the road. Niner will get you like this, too

Best bet is to knock some $ off a new one, but since that was basically another company back then your bud won't get much. Best bet is ebay the part or get a new bike. Not sure where you live but a 26" wheel is pretty miserable to ride around here. He will thank the gods (old gods and the new) that thing finally broke. For the record, mine broke too...in 2006:)

Problem is the linkage, not the wheel. If 26in feels miserable then 27.5 won´t cut it as well. So you don´t ride the Bronson.. one of the best trail bikes ever.

peanutgallery
05-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Not around here, the only 27.5 you'll see is the plus variety. Rocks, lots and lots of rocks. Plain old 27.5 will not cut it.

Problem is the linkage, not the wheel. If 26in feels miserable then 27.5 won´t cut it as well. So you don´t ride the Bronson.. one of the best trail bikes ever.

Miljack
05-15-2019, 07:34 AM
You're going to have to get lucky to find the links. I think they're carbon on that bike. There's two, so they are "mirror image" so copying the good one won't work.
Is the broken one shattered, or could he hold it together to get dimensions from it? If yes, he can either pull a mold from it, and try his hand at building from CF, or find a shop to do it for him.
As mentioned above, Pinkbike maybe his best bet to find a used one.

JAGI410
05-15-2019, 07:56 AM
Upper link on a Santa Cruz Blur LT2 is part number 29-11908.

Exploded views, bearing numbers, torque specs, and part numbers can be found here: https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bike/blur/lt-2