PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a grease gun?

Veloo
05-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Thinking about getting a grease gun (the ones that just screw onto the tube) but I thought I'd ask first if it really offers advantages or will it just sit on the shelf.

oldpotatoe
05-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Thinking about getting a grease gun (the ones that just screw onto the tube) but I thought I'd ask first if it really offers advantages or will it just sit on the shelf.

After having the ones you mentioned fail or just not work, along with the little one that you fill..I went to the hardware and got a handfull of syringes and tube of grease..works GREAT...

R3awak3n
05-14-2019, 08:07 AM
I use a grease gun, a cheapo I bought off amazon 5 years ago. Works great and much better than just using a tube of grease

makoti
05-14-2019, 08:09 AM
Only for my Speedplays

rePhil
05-14-2019, 08:18 AM
What will you be using it for? I use a tub with an acid brush or a finger. For awhile I went the syringe route, but I got tired of filling it. I have a grease gun in a cabinet that hasn't seen the light of day in years

zmalwo
05-14-2019, 08:21 AM
it's like over-engineering bike maintenance, I can't think of any application which your hand and a toothpick can't do the equivalent job a grease gun can.....

but if you are planning to use a grease gun to pump grease into vehicle grease points then you absolutely do need one since you can't do it without. imho

Veloo
05-14-2019, 08:32 AM
I currently use my finger and a small flat heat screwdriver for tight spaces.
No grease ports on any of my parts.

Just wondering if they make life any easier, less messy. And if they always have a reliably continuous flow of grease coming out.

Jaybee
05-14-2019, 08:32 AM
Finger or pharmacy syringe. It’s just a bike.

wallymann
05-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Only for my Speedplays

same here. aside from that i apply using an acid-brush or finger dispensed from a big tubba grease.

https://halfhitch.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/926507dc7f93631a094422215b778fe0/0/7/07970011404.jpg

pinkshogun
05-14-2019, 09:35 AM
i have 2 GualCo grease guns. use them almost daily. after a while i need to unplug the end with a pin but otherwise no complaints.

Mzilliox
05-14-2019, 09:38 AM
i have two grease guns. left arm and right arm.

alancw3
05-14-2019, 09:38 AM
years ago I bought a speedplay grease gun to lube my pedals. it worked perfectly but I also think you can buy the same gun at Walmart under a different name that I cannot remember. if it were me I would go to Walmart and buy one of there grease guns. same gun same cartridges.

AngryScientist
05-14-2019, 09:44 AM
ahh the days of using a grease gun regularly as part of routine car maintenance. 3k mile oil changes and crawl under the old truck to grease all the front end bushings. you really got to know your car a little more "intimately" back then!

these days i only use a grease gun on trailer wheel bearings. bike stuff gets grease with my finger or an acid brush...

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/47e5a5b5-7989-45cb-a759-2dcb41f94d7b/svn/hdx-brushes-80-721-111-64_1000.jpg

Mark McM
05-14-2019, 09:47 AM
I got one a few decades ago when I had an MTB with Suntour GreaseGuard components (hubs and BB with grease injection ports). I find it still essential today for re-lubing Speedplay pedals. It only cost a few dollars. Even when not used for grease injection ports, it can be convenient to dispense small amounts of grease to highly localized points (such as bearing races, screw threads, etc), and without having to get grease on anything else. The grease gun I've got fits the screw threads on tubes of common bicycle greases, such as Finish Line, Pedros, Phils, etc., so 'refilling' is just a matter of unscrewing the old tube of grease and screw in the new tube.

https://pedros.com/wp-content/uploads/Pedros_6205031_Syn-Grease-Plus-3oz-2-1.jpg

Mzilliox
05-14-2019, 09:52 AM
I got one a few decades ago when I had an MTB with Suntour GreaseGuard components (hubs and BB with grease injection ports). I find it still essential today for re-lubing Speedplay pedals. It only cost a few dollars. Even when not used for grease injection ports, it can be convenient to dispense small amounts of grease to highly localized points (such as bearing races, screw threads, etc), and without having to get grease on anything else. The grease gun I've got fits the screw threads on tubes of common bicycle greases, such as Finish Line, Pedros, Phils, etc., so 'refilling' is just a matter of unscrewing the old tube of grease and screw in the new tube.

https://pedros.com/wp-content/uploads/Pedros_6205031_Syn-Grease-Plus-3oz-2-1.jpg

thats pretty cool

Gummee
05-14-2019, 10:19 AM
My grease gun is broken and I miss it.

Keeps things cleaner because the application of grease is a lot more precise. Keeps your hands cleaner for the same reason.

As with everything YRMV

M

MagicHour
05-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Same older Pedros gun with Phil Wood grease tube (that I was able to carefully thread on despite mismatched threads and now fits well)

Only for my Speedplays

makoti
05-14-2019, 11:28 AM
years ago I bought a speedplay grease gun to lube my pedals. it worked perfectly but I also think you can buy the same gun at Walmart under a different name that I cannot remember. if it were me I would go to Walmart and buy one of there grease guns. same gun same cartridges.

I got mine at a hardware store for about $10. Works exactly the same as the Speedplay branded one.

arik
05-14-2019, 11:49 AM
I use a hazet mini grease gun filled with NFS red grease, love it

https://www.kctoolco.com/hazet-2162m-mini-grease-gun/

Bob Ross
05-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Only for my Speedplays

^^^This

So once, maybe twice a year, per bike? Hardly seems worth it, though I can't think of any other way to grease Speedplays.

OTOH, OldSpud's mention of syringes seems appealing for all the other grease applications where I typically just use my finger or a wooden coffee stir.

fmradio516
05-14-2019, 01:15 PM
^^^This

So once, maybe twice a year, per bike? Hardly seems worth it, though I can't think of any other way to grease Speedplays.

OTOH, OldSpud's mention of syringes seems appealing for all the other grease applications where I typically just use my finger or a wooden coffee stir.

I tried to grease both of my sets of speedplays the other day(using a grease gun) and the dust cap(not the screw) came off from all the pressure. the grease isnt coming out from the other side so something is gunked up somewhere. I tried spinning while shooting the grease in and it didnt help. :confused:

OperaLover
05-14-2019, 03:03 PM
My issue is the output is hard to control. Seems like I pump a few times to get the grease going and then it keeps coming out even after I stop pumping. Finger is better, but I worry about absorption through the skin. I try to wear gloves. Probably have enough prior exposure to grease, solvent, paint, that at this point it does not really matter.

jc031699
05-15-2019, 07:06 AM

That’s what I have and it works great most of the time. The only time it whiffs is when there is air at the top of the tube and the grease is not up to the pump mechanism. A little futzing takes care of that. Using a eBay toothpaste tube squeezer clip to push all the grease to the top helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeytusmc
05-15-2019, 07:08 AM
Only for my Speedplays

I have a shimano grease gun for this purpose, works great

oldpotatoe
05-15-2019, 07:24 AM
^^^This

Well...pushing grease into SP pedals does move some dirt and crud out and replace but the 'best' way to do it is to take them apart, clean, lube and re-assemble. The needle bearing on the interior of the pedal rides on the spindle and if you kill that, you kill the spindle(altho getting spindles from SP is easy..unlike just about every other pedal maker..)...

Matthew
05-15-2019, 07:39 AM
I use a syringe I believe I got when I had my wisdom teeth pulled! Decades ago. Only use it on my Speedplay pedals. Works very well. Not recommended to be used on gums anymore.

onitsuka_luv
05-15-2019, 08:58 AM
i have this one:
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/bicycle-greases/grease-injection-pump-gun

and use this grease with it:
https://www.parktool.com/product/polylube-1000-lubricant-tube-ppl-1

I got it specifically to inject grease into speedplay pedals, works like a charm. one note is that you have to "prime the pump" by squeezing the tube of grease so it enters the chamber otherwise it doesn't come out the tip of the gun.

cmbicycles
05-15-2019, 08:35 PM
I have a mini grease gun I got at an auto parts store, as well as a little dualco grease gun that is like the screw on kind for smaller precise applications. I use the regular grease gun mostly on my mower as it has multiple grease zerks. I have used it for some hubs and limited bike stuff but unless you are a speedplay (what the other dualco is for) user or need it to access small areas (rare) you probably wouldn't end uo using it too much.

purpurite
05-15-2019, 08:58 PM
If you buy one, buy a Dualco. Made in the US and you won't have to worry about the quality, unlike the cheap ones on eBay and Amazon.

Ken Robb
05-15-2019, 09:05 PM
thats pretty cool

I have been using one like this to lube the legs on my 18 year old Manitou fork on my Marin Rift Zone since I bought the bike. Works great for that. Of course the fork has ports to allow the use of a grease gun.

unterhausen
05-16-2019, 06:58 AM
I got one of the screw-on grease guns for my speedplays. Haven't had reason to use it for anything other than that. I got a grease gun with a canister that I fill with park grease, because I didn't want to foul the tub of grease. It works great. One of these: https://www.amazon.com/Astro-101-Grease-Needle-Nozzle/dp/B000FMK7FG/ref=zg_bs_15707871_13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=REMBCQ3PW4S0Z0P7RSR1

oldpotatoe
05-16-2019, 07:44 AM
If you buy one, buy a Dualco. Made in the US and you won't have to worry about the quality, unlike the cheap ones on eBay and Amazon.

Interesting that this thread still has legs..I've had two of these, both failed and were stored here

unterhausen
05-16-2019, 08:03 AM
it occurs to me that use in a shop probably is more difficult on a grease gun than home use. At my LBS, the mechanics just cut a hole in the lid of a tub of grease and use a flux brush. At home, I figure my tub of grease would have a layer of dust on top.