PDA

View Full Version : Question for the campy experts

sailorboy
12-06-2006, 06:22 AM
I would like to mix and match parts from a '06 record group and the '07 chorus. Namely, want to use the new crankset/BB design, which is compact, but with the '06 record brifters and rear der. This would mean using the compact-specific front der. which is from the 'quick shift' line, with last year's brifters. Anyone forsee a problem with this?
Domo Arigato

Grant McLean
12-06-2006, 07:20 AM
No that won't work.

'06 shifters require any NON quick shift front derailleur.

Using '07 cranks is not a problem, you just need to match the
left shifter and front derailleur. Use an '06 compact front derailleur
with '06 shifters.

g

Grant McLean
12-06-2006, 07:25 AM
This would mean using the compact-specific front der. which is from the 'quick shift' line

I think you're either confused, or have the
buzzwords mixed up.

"Compact" has nothing to do with Quick Shift.

QS shortens the amount of travel the lever requires,
and must be matched with the QS front derailleur.

If you're using non QS shifters from before 07,
stick with '06 or previous front derailleurs.

The '06 compact derailleur with have the "CT" logo
for compact on it, and the cage matches the curve
of a 50T outer ring.

g

pdxmech13
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
man, Grant you know your stuff

sailorboy
12-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks Grant. I'll have to go open the box again and look, but I thought the new '07 front der. had both CT and quick shift designations on it. Thanks for helping me avoid a snag.

Grant McLean
12-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks Grant. I'll have to go open the box again and look, but I thought the new '07 front der. had both CT and quick shift designations on it. Thanks for helping me avoid a snag.

I don't think you're getting it.

Of course there is a derailleur with CT AND QS logos - that's what '07 QS shifters need to work with a compact crank.

You asked about 2006 NON- QS shifters, right?

All non-QS shifters need non QS derailleurs.

g

Bill Bove
12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't mean to muddy the waters here, maybe add a little clarification to something that is confusing nobody. I'm using 07 shifters something like a 98 FD and an 02 or 03 RD. I'm just to lazy to change them out and they are shifting just fine, better than the old shifters with the same derailers but those old shifters were needing rebuilding really, really bad, once again too lazy. Maintainence is too time consuming, just give me new stuff :banana:

sailorboy
12-06-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't think you're getting it.

Of course there is a derailleur with CT AND QS logos - that's what '07 QS shifters need to work with a compact crank.

You asked about 2006 NON- QS shifters, right?

All non-QS shifters need non QS derailleurs.

g

OK, maybe I didn't put enough into the original post... I KNOW what the terms QS and CT mean; I have the new '07 chorus FD, designed for a compact crank, which has both terms on it and I was inquiring if it could be used with shifters of last year's vintage (or pre-quick shift) and you answered that question. Thanks!

Grant McLean
12-06-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't mean to muddy the waters here, maybe add a little clarification to something that is confusing nobody. I'm using 07 shifters something like a 98 FD and an 02 or 03 RD. I'm just to lazy to change them out and they are shifting just fine, better than the old shifters with the same derailers but those old shifters were needing rebuilding really, really bad, once again too lazy. Maintainence is too time consuming, just give me new stuff :banana:

As Bill mentioned, you can use an old front derailleur with the new
shifters. The new front derailleur geometry is tweeked to optimize
with the new shifter. But obviously, there is enough cable pull from the
new shifter to still make the old front derailleur shift. I haven't tried the
Centaur level version, but since it has less "clicks" it might be a problem.

My previous comments were mostly aimed at someone selecting which
new parts they need to buy that were designed to work together.
If you already own the parts, sure: go for it and see if it works well enough
to decide for yourself if it's worth it to change.

As far as I know, all campy 10sp rear derailleurs work fine in any combination
with 10sp shifters, so that should never be an issue.

g

Grant McLean
12-06-2006, 06:23 PM
OK, maybe I didn't put enough into the original post... I KNOW what the terms QS and CT mean; I have the new '07 chorus FD, designed for a compact crank, which has both terms on it and I was inquiring if it could be used with shifters of last year's vintage (or pre-quick shift) and you answered that question. Thanks!

that's cool. the original question was worded
in a way that kinda confused me. all good now.

g

sailorboy
12-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Yea, I guess the worst that could happen is I just change it to what works. I tell ya it's a sad state of affairs when one is forced to choose between '07 chorus and '06 record. ;)

Kits are going onto a spectrum Ti super frame that is a few seasons old and a Vanilla road frame, as yet un-finished but somewhere in the production process. The idea was to have the Vanilla get everything record except the new chorus cranks and fr. der. Still not sure if I want to do that.

I'll be sure to post some pics. when both bikes are finished.