PDA

View Full Version : Stones flying from your tires

Veloo
05-13-2019, 10:03 AM
A lot more gravel on the roads these days. I'm hearing more stones/ pebbles launching from my tires and hitting other objects. I'm worried it may hit someone or someone's dog in the eye as I'm passing by.

Not quite sure what can prevent this since I don't always see the gravel as I'm riding.

Has anyone ever caused any harm/ damage with the pebbles shooting from under a 95/100 psi tire?

Veloo
05-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Wrong section. Mods, please move to general.

nublar
05-13-2019, 10:16 AM
You can mitigate this by wearing ANSI/OSHA standard PPE for eye and head protection

Davist
05-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Oddly, and anecdotally, I think Continental tires are particularly good at throwing up gravel. Didn't notice near as much with Michelins or Schwalbes.

Veloo
05-13-2019, 11:25 AM
I'm riding Veloflex clinchers. Corsa 23 on one wheelset and Master 25 on the other.

Oddly, and anecdotally, I think Continental tires are particularly good at throwing up gravel. Didn't notice near as much with Michelins or Schwalbes.

572cv
05-13-2019, 12:58 PM
This happened when I was riding with a pal one day in France. He was on a parallel path, but offset by 6-8 meters so he could look more closely at a parked old Citroen 2cv. My tire shot this pebble at him, hit him in the left wrist, and smashed the bezel on his wristwatch. We both laughed about it (cheap watch) but gee, it could have hurt him much more seriously. Its a freak thing, though, I'd say.

mtechnica
05-13-2019, 01:05 PM
I’ve nailed cars pretty good a few times, just hoped they didn’t notice :help:

azrider
05-13-2019, 01:18 PM
I’ve nailed cars pretty good a few times, just hoped they didn’t notice :help:

A buddy of mine slingshot a rock from under his rear tire and cracked a corner vent window on an old station wagon parked outside a house on his street. It was so loud we stopped and inspected the window and as we were standing there looking at car/window an elderly lady starts yelling at us "not to steal anything" as she walked towards us and my buddy admits "hey, not stealing anything.....but I think I cracked your window"......she comes over, looks at it...looks at us.....and says "gimme ten bucks and we're good". He threw her a $10 and she walked off and we rode back to his house and sit on front stoop and talk about the ride.......

About 15 minutes later we see guy come out of a house on other side of the street, got in the car, and took off...........

My buddy said he never saw the car or the elderly lady on his street again.

Rusty Luggs
05-13-2019, 01:32 PM
I have had gravel launch off tires pretty often, and ping off a passing car at least a couple times a year. Had gravel launched off other folks tires hit me and my bike a few times. Have had one or two occasions where it has bounced off my glasses during races.

Absurd (IMHO and experience)

redir
05-13-2019, 03:29 PM
A buddy of mine slingshot a rock from under his rear tire and cracked a corner vent window on an old station wagon parked outside a house on his street. It was so loud we stopped and inspected the window and as we were standing there looking at car/window an elderly lady starts yelling at us "not to steal anything" as she walked towards us and my buddy admits "hey, not stealing anything.....but I think I cracked your window"......she comes over, looks at it...looks at us.....and says "gimme ten bucks and we're good". He threw her a $10 and she walked off and we rode back to his house and sit on front stoop and talk about the ride.......

About 15 minutes later we see guy come out of a house on other side of the street, got in the car, and took off...........

My buddy said he never saw the car or the elderly lady on his street again.

LOL! That's freakin' hilarious.

FlashUNC
05-13-2019, 03:36 PM
I've lost track of the number of people and animals I've permanently blinded by riding a bike which throws off stones the way a Gatling Gun was used to great effect by the Roughriders during the taking of San Juan Hill.

bigbill
05-13-2019, 03:37 PM
Doing a group ride, a guy flipped a rock up and it broke the back window of a passing car. The police were called but no tickets were issued and no fault was placed on the cyclist.

Heisenberg
05-13-2019, 04:01 PM
once, during a bike ride, i had to quickly swerve to avoid a pothole.

true story.

seems there are more and more potholes these days!

azrider
05-13-2019, 04:25 PM
LOL! That's freakin' hilarious.

That happened about 8 years ago and at least twice a year we will randomly text one another.....

"dude.....just saw lady with a walker who looked similar to the 70 year old that scammed you"

"hey if you see that old lady who scammed me try and get my $10 back"

"i wonder what the actual owner said when he discovered the crack"

......good times :p:p

weisan
05-13-2019, 05:09 PM
I love this tire to death but it's the undisputed KING of gravel....flyin'...and getting stuck in between the knobs.

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/panaracer-gravelking-sk-tyre-4.jpg?itok=qMwn7QeS

shinomaster
05-13-2019, 10:01 PM
I love nailing shiny new SUV's with flying stones.

azrider
05-14-2019, 04:07 PM
I love nailing shiny new SUV's with flying stones.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e6eba0a71c7aabe41ce762f42e31688b/tenor.gif?itemid=10492830

shinomaster
05-14-2019, 09:46 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/e6eba0a71c7aabe41ce762f42e31688b/tenor.gif?itemid=10492830

Just happened Sunday.. no control!

azrider
05-15-2019, 12:09 AM
Just happened Sunday.. no control!

Yeah!!!! Awesome!!! Screw people who work hard to buy nice things and let’s celebrate when we “nail their shiny new SUV”.....yeah!!!!!

Good grief.....

false_Aest
05-15-2019, 12:33 AM
the solution is to coat your tires in Pam.

according to internet surveys

shinomaster
05-15-2019, 10:03 AM
Yeah!!!! Awesome!!! Screw people who work hard to buy nice things and let’s celebrate when we “nail their shiny new SUV”.....yeah!!!!!

Good grief.....

I was making a joke which you couldn't have understood since you don't live in Portland Oregon. Our Streets are overrun with terrible drivers speeding through once quiet neighborhoods. My bike routs which are designated by the city as public "green ways" are often used by these drivers as shortcuts to bypass busy intersections ( I blame the Ways App.) So, my bike routs have aggressive drivers weaving in and out of slow moving cyclists with is terribly unsafe. the other day I must have run over a rock and it flew and struck one of these passing cars and It made me chuckle. It has nothing to do with money or working hard.