PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Monaco e series racing

Tickdoc
05-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Does anyone watch this series for real? So funny to listen the the shrieks and shrills of these go karts going around such an iconic raceway.

Might as well put it on mute.

Bruce K
05-12-2019, 02:03 PM
The technology is pretty amazing and as a proof of concept the series is pretty cool.

Some rising F1 stars there as well.

But yes, the sounds, such as they are, are very weird.

BK

bicycletricycle
05-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Formula e is strange. I have tried but failed to enjoy it.

BdaGhisallo
05-12-2019, 04:29 PM
It had to have been more exciting than today’s F1 race in Spain.

45K10
05-12-2019, 08:10 PM
I generally just watch the highlights.

I think the racing in Formula E is pretty good. The first time I watched it last year the sounds were quite odd but now I don't even notice.

bicycletricycle
05-12-2019, 08:25 PM

almost anything is better than today's race. snooze fest.

oliver1850
05-12-2019, 11:22 PM
I wonder if the sound is mostly gearbox noise. Back in the early 80's Truesports tested a Hewland DG300 gearbox in the shop, powered by a big electric motor. I wasn't there at the time, but was told that the noise in the dyno room was almost too much to withstand, even with ear plugs.

vqdriver
05-13-2019, 01:34 AM
Car racing in general doesn't interest me much but I wouldn't be so dismissive based on perception. Full torque at 0rpm is eye opening

ultraman6970
05-13-2019, 08:58 AM
After i read the tittle of the thread went to look at the tube, interesting races... pretty much all the cars are the same and the differences are minimal making them like Karting but with big cars type of race, really fun to watch!.

They cant put the engines in the wheels? against the rules? No idea if that could be a problem at the time of changing the tires tho, maybe not.

zap
05-13-2019, 09:01 AM

It was.

Formula E made a big leap in performance (and the way the cars look) this year.

Davist
05-13-2019, 09:16 AM
It was.

Formula E made a big leap in performance (and the way the cars look) this year.

yes, last year the batteries only lasted 1/2 the race, and the swap to a new car was awkward. I think the G2 cars look cool, but the tix are too spendy for a new motorsport, in my opinion, leaving stands open (NY last year for example).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjCqJH-2JjiAhUIhuAKHfL_DtkQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fformula-e.fandom.com%2Fwiki%2F2018%2F19_Formula_E_Season&psig=AOvVaw06b8mQR-bvA8ggZHYCkJaj&ust=1557843379841783

Mark McM
05-13-2019, 11:18 AM
yes, last year the batteries only lasted 1/2 the race, and the swap to a new car was awkward.

That was always a bit of an embarrassment. Even as it is now, battery capacity is a huge limitation. Compared to Formula 1, Formula E races are only 1/4 to 1/3 as long, despite the cars only have 1/3 the power of a Formula 1 car (Formula 1 cars don't refuel during the race, either).

Elefantino
05-13-2019, 12:38 PM
We're going up to NY to see the Brooklyn race.

We may not hear it, but we'll see it.

carpediemracing
05-13-2019, 10:08 PM
There are elements to Formula E that try to hide the lack of power inherent to the cars.

- Very tight short courses (at Monaco they literally take a short cut at the first turn of the regular F1/etc course, skipping the whole hill, iconic hairpin, and iconic tunnel).

- One tire spec for all cars, all the time. Not even a rain tire.

- Same chassis so any development is with the drivetrain and with set up.

- Because of all this the races tend to be collision heavy, with drivers resorting to pushing one another out of the way.

- There are a couple gamification things like fan boost (extra 25 kW), the off-racing-line boost thing (25 kW). Since power is limited to 200kW during the race (250kW in qualifying), adding 25 kW is big, and since they're stackable you might get both, boosting your power 50 kW for a bit. Adds an element of uncertainty to the strategy.

The cool thing is that the drivetrain (motor, gears if any, inverter) is essentially unlimited within the confines of the body. There has been a lot of progress in the drivetrains, starting with everyone using 5 Spd transmissions and now all using 1, 2, or 3 speeds.

I think that there will be some serious optimization in these set ups, with I hope some transfer into the regular car world. A simpler, more powerful EV car would be interesting to drive - I'd love to try a powerful, peaky (with short powerful bursts saved like an F1 car), regen-control (aka I can pull a paddle to regain instead of use my brakes) car would be a hoot to drive.

William
05-14-2019, 03:06 PM

I think the fastest qualifying cars should have to start at the back. You have the faster cars, use your driving skills to get to the front! Starting on the front just makes for a boring race most of the time.:fight:

William

BdaGhisallo
05-14-2019, 03:42 PM
I think the fastest qualifying cars should have to start at the back. You have the faster cars, use your driving skills to get to the front! Starting on the front just makes for a boring race most of the time.:fight:

William

It does beggar belief how they line up the cars from fastest at the front to slowest at the rear and expect there to be overtaking. In theory there shouldn't be much at all, should there?

Davist
05-14-2019, 03:47 PM
It does beggar belief how they line up the cars from fastest at the front to slowest at the rear and expect there to be overtaking. In theory there shouldn't be much at all, should there?

Same as F1 and Indy, right? F1 in particular (I'm not a motorsport fan) is really a holeshot race last time I watched, passing is tough! and kudos to those who can (kinda like BMX, get through the first turn first with rubber side down, then the race gets easier)

William
05-15-2019, 07:38 AM

Certainly would make for a more interesting race.

W.

tv_vt
05-15-2019, 07:47 AM
This thread needs a few links to some racing action... :bike:

Mark McM
05-15-2019, 10:38 AM

Sounds good in theory, but what's to prevent sandbagging during qualifying? Imagine the precision driving required to go just fast enough in qualifying to make the field, but slow enough to start at the front of the race!