PDA

View Full Version : Potenza RD with 2011 Ultrashift levers compatibility

clalor
05-11-2019, 12:47 PM
I'm debating moving my 2011 Athena group (with Ultrashift levers) over to another bike, but I'll want the ability to run a 32T on the rear and enough wrap to cover an 11-32 cassette and a 46x30 crankset. Seems like the Potenza medium cage RD will cover that max cog and chain wrap.

Best I can tell from searches here:

The Potenza RD is compatible as far as cable pull, even though it's not "officially" compatible according to Campy docs
But its lower tension return spring doesn't work as well with Ultrashift levers

Is this correct?

I'd prefer to avoid any sort finicky setup here if possible. I've been enjoying a Shimano 11-speed setup on another bike, so that's a viable option as well, but it just requires a bit more work on my part in buying new parts and selling off the Athena stuff.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2019, 01:36 PM
I'm debating moving my 2011 Athena group (with Ultrashift levers) over to another bike, but I'll want the ability to run a 32T on the rear and enough wrap to cover an 11-32 cassette and a 46x30 crankset. Seems like the Potenza medium cage RD will cover that max cog and chain wrap.

Best I can tell from searches here:

The Potenza RD is compatible as far as cable pull, even though it's not "officially" compatible according to Campy docs
But its lower tension return spring doesn't work as well with Ultrashift levers

Is this correct?

I'd prefer to avoid any sort finicky setup here if possible. I've been enjoying a Shimano 11-speed setup on another bike, so that's a viable option as well, but it just requires a bit more work on my part in buying new parts and selling off the Athena stuff.

The ‘issue’ with Powershift levers, the thumb button basically ‘releases’ the rear der to then go a higher cog where Ultrashift actually moves the rear der to the next higher cog. So if you have a smooth operating cable/housing set up, the Athena ‘should’ be fine but if you have any drag in the system, it may be kinda balky...

clalor
05-11-2019, 01:40 PM
So if you have a smooth operating cable/housing set up, the Athena ‘should’ be fine but if you have any drag in the system, it may be kinda balky...

Good to know, thanks Peter.

dmurphey
05-11-2019, 05:34 PM
I had pre 2015 Chorus shifters and put on new Potenza RD and cassette last year. It didn't shift well until my local bike genius mechanics, CyclEast in Austin, said that pre 2015 Campy shifters and derailleurs are different from post 2015. We changed the internal part of the shifter and now it is all compatible.

ultraman6970
05-11-2019, 05:50 PM
I think velomine list them as compatible 2015+.

Dave
05-12-2019, 08:20 AM
I had pre 2015 Chorus shifters and put on new Potenza RD and cassette last year. It didn't shift well until my local bike genius mechanics, CyclEast in Austin, said that pre 2015 Campy shifters and derailleurs are different from post 2015. We changed the internal part of the shifter and now it is all compatible.

The new shifters do pull more cable - proved by measurements I took will a precision dial indicator setup.

My solution was the same as the one I used to make a 10 speed RD compatible with the early 11 speed shifters. Grind the cable clamp bolt down to the root of the threads, where the cable contacts the threads. This will shorten the lever arm length a little and increase the RD travel.

oldpotatoe
05-12-2019, 09:00 AM

What did he change? The shift disc itself or the takeup spool?

zmalwo
05-12-2019, 09:12 AM
I don't think the cable pull is the same, from all the sources I read. Also the 11 speed Centaur RD has the same cable pull as the pre 2015 11 speed groups and it comes in mid cage in default, which according to campy spec sheet can run up to 32T.

dmurphey
05-12-2019, 10:01 PM
What did he change? The shift disc itself or the takeup spool?

We replaced the inside shift mechanism of the pre-'15 Chorus rear shifter but kept the levers and body.

ultraman6970
05-12-2019, 10:23 PM
The nice about the new levers is that are way easier to put together than the old 10 speed designs...

dan682
05-12-2019, 11:23 PM
On my gravel bike I'm using pre-2015 Chorus shifters with a new Centaur rear derailleur, 12-32 cassette, and 50-34 crank. No problems with big cog clearance or chain wrap. I wouldn't say the shifting is perfect but good enough. The problem I had setting it up was if I had enough tension on the cable to fully shift into the largest cog, then it would be a little finicky in cogs 3-5. So I backed off the tension just enough to get it to shift into every cog, might not be perfectly aligned in all gears but works well enough for what I use that bike for.

zmalwo
05-13-2019, 12:05 AM
Does anyone know if Athena Rear derailleurs also have weaker spring than Chorus + like Potenza?I'm asking this because I'm using 2014 Chorus levers with Athena RD and have experienced some bad shifting at the beginning.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2019, 06:30 AM
Does anyone know if Athena Rear derailleurs also have weaker spring than Chorus + like Potenza?I'm asking this because I'm using 2014 Chorus levers with Athena RD and have experienced some bad shifting at the beginning.

No it doesn't..I'd say drag somewhere in the 'system', cable and housing..Smooth under BB guide..internal cable routing?..Use 5mm der housing
at the rear der , metal(brass) ferrules..cleanly cut, long enough housing at the lever, make sure the wee brass spacers in the lever where the housing sits aren't 'turned' or missing...

There is a lot more intercompatibility with 2009+ levers and ders than 'official' sources state.