PDA

View Full Version : OT: Revival of the Chinos thread

Tickdoc
05-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Best summer casual work pants right now are?

I like Bonobos, but JCrew has a light fabric that Seems to work well in the hot months.

verticaldoug
05-10-2019, 09:50 AM
James Perse 5 pocket twill

Bentley
05-10-2019, 10:05 AM
I’d go with any of these

dbnm
05-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Lululemon ABC Pants (https://shop.lululemon.com/c/men/_/N-7tuZ1z110us?mnid=mn;en-US-JSON;men;features;abc-pants-shop)
(anti-ball crushing)

Super comfy and lightweight

Dired
05-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Outlier has some great summer options. I alternate between futureworks and sd's.

slowpoke
05-10-2019, 11:00 AM
Outlier's fit up until recently was for the skinny-thighed. However they do have a free returns policy, which helps.

Lightweight, unlined wool slacks are more breathable than cotton or tech fabrics, but the issue is that they may look more formal than one would like.

CDollarsign
05-10-2019, 11:17 AM
+1 on bonobos stretch chinos. Only issue is that the price keeps creeping up...

scopes
05-10-2019, 11:32 AM
+1 to the Lululemon ABC's

Also recommend the Kit and Ace Navigator pant and the DU/ER No Sweat Pants.

C40_guy
05-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Couple of good options at LL Bean...

Safepants
05-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Lululemon ABC Pants (https://shop.lululemon.com/c/men/_/N-7tuZ1z110us?mnid=mn;en-US-JSON;men;features;abc-pants-shop)
(anti-ball crushing)

Super comfy and lightweight

These are the greatest! I have 3 pairs. I ordered one in the Tall but had to get them hemmed as I'm just a 34" inseam, the other two pairs i got were normal 34" version.
They are great travel pants too. I just wore two pairs for a two week trip to Europe. I like the zippered rear pocket for my wallet.

jwalther
05-11-2019, 06:20 AM
Couple of good options at LL Bean...

I love LL Bean because of the custom length options. Impossible to find 32/36 otherwise!

Louis
05-11-2019, 06:28 AM
In a related matter, what are the good options out there for lightweight (i.e. as cool as possible for summer) jeans? Extra points for reasonable prices.

dbnm
05-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Lulu's pants come in 37" inch length with plenty in 32" waists.

I love LL Bean because of the custom length options. Impossible to find 32/36 otherwise!

Pinned
05-11-2019, 11:53 PM
Bonobos has a lightweight/summer weight option that is great.

OperaLover
05-13-2019, 11:26 AM
I like UNIQULO. Japanese brand, very hip without being too far out there. Quality and pretty reasonable. Their underwear is SUPER comfortable.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/home/

onitsuka_luv
05-15-2019, 02:37 PM
Rapha Randonee Trousers:
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/search/all?text=randonee+trouser

C40_guy
06-08-2023, 09:18 PM
Bonobos has a lightweight/summer weight option that is great.

ReReviving the Chinos thread...

Just ordered three pair of the Bonobos stretch chinos. Received them yesterday. They are indeed a step up from the Dockers haunting my closet.

Nice fabric, great selection of fitting options, recommendation of length that was spot on...and a full inch shorter than what I would have ordered.

I also found a promo code that brought the pants down from $70 to $55 per pair. Sweet. :)

Turkle
06-08-2023, 09:29 PM
I miss being able to buy 100% cotton chinos. They're rare as hen's teeth these days. What a world.

I have utterly loathed the stretchy chinos I've purchased from brands like Dockers, Banana Republic, Bonobos, and similar. Just awful. They look great when you're trying them on. Wear them for an hour and you look like you're wearing a diaper. (Anyway... That's what happens to me. I'm fit but thicc.) Plus synthetic fabrics show dirt in a way cotton never does. Give me cotton!!

Recently, it came to crisis mode, as all my chinos were falling apart. I needed to make a decision. I ended up buying J. Crew chinos because the fit seemed reasonable and they have only 1% stretch material.

They are... fine. I don't love them. But they are miles better than any of the stretchy-stretch nonsense they're selling as pants these days, so I bought them in 5 colors and I'm going to make do until something better comes along.

This has been yet another edition of.... old man yells at cloud. Cheers

Louis
06-08-2023, 09:43 PM
I've given up on finding truly lightweight 100% cotton pants or jeans.

When it really gets hot I switch over to nylon + elastane mix stuff - it isn't high fashion, but light years better for breathability, and way, way cooler for hot & humid St Louis summers.

notlance
06-09-2023, 09:33 PM
Big fan of Prana - especially the Zion series. Stretch material, fits well, great casual/formal option.

https://www.prana.com/men/bottoms/pants.html

mstateglfr
06-09-2023, 09:46 PM
Kuhl Slax

68% Cotton, 
29% Nylon, 
3% Spandex 
5.2 oz./sq. yd. | 176 SGM

Relatively lightweight, quick drying, not skinny, not low rise, but also not loose and sloppy.
Best of all- they come in 36 length.

BobC
06-10-2023, 05:17 AM
I've given up on finding truly lightweight 100% cotton pants or jeans.

When it really gets hot I switch over to nylon + elastane mix stuff - it isn't high fashion, but light years better for breathability, and way, way cooler for hot & humid St Louis summers.

Try Lands End. They have a classic 100% cotton version & the knockabouts which are 97% cotton. They always run a 40% off sale & 50% off a couple times a year (thanksgiving being one of those times). They are my go-to. I know my size & just order a bunch when I need them. Easy day.

pdonk
06-10-2023, 06:37 AM
While I don't own any, I'd expect that the recent releases from ironheart, Samurai and 3sixteen would be amazing. Lots if different cuts and fabric choices.

Pumablk
06-10-2023, 10:09 AM
If considering premium, my choices would be Todd Snyder’s or Ralph Lauren’s 100% cotton offerings.

tellyho
06-10-2023, 01:21 PM
I miss being able to buy 100% cotton chinos. They're rare as hen's teeth these days. What a world.

I have utterly loathed the stretchy chinos I've purchased from brands like Dockers, Banana Republic, Bonobos, and similar. Just awful. They look great when you're trying them on. Wear them for an hour and you look like you're wearing a diaper. (Anyway... That's what happens to me. I'm fit but thicc.) Plus synthetic fabrics show dirt in a way cotton never does. Give me cotton!!

Recently, it came to crisis mode, as all my chinos were falling apart. I needed to make a decision. I ended up buying J. Crew chinos because the fit seemed reasonable and they have only 1% stretch material.

They are... fine. I don't love them. But they are miles better than any of the stretchy-stretch nonsense they're selling as pants these days, so I bought them in 5 colors and I'm going to make do until something better comes along.

This has been yet another edition of.... old man yells at cloud. Cheers

Readily available on eBay. Frequently for $10 - $15. I haven't bought new clothes in years.

bayarea5077
06-10-2023, 10:53 PM
Another vote for kuhl pants.
I've got several different variations and they are very durable, comfortable and lightweight.

Louis
06-11-2023, 12:03 AM
Guys, thanks for the various recommendations.

I'll see if I can find somewhere in the STL area that carries the Kuhl pants to check them out in person.

Louis

GScot
06-11-2023, 06:55 AM
Guys, thanks for the various recommendations.

I'll see if I can find somewhere in the STL area that carries the Kuhl pants to check them out in person.

Louis

I bought mine at REI. Also some Prana Zion which were also suggested. The Prana are 100% nylon if I remember right, at least they are pretty much cotton free. I would never consider such a thing in the past but I now have 3 pair and really like them.

HenryA
06-11-2023, 07:13 AM
I truly despise the current crop of stretch fabric pants and shirts. Especially the dress shirts. They are hot and look like crap after the first wearing.

I am waiting now for some cotton shirts from LLBean that will be delivered “before July 25”. What happened to regular cotton fabric? Is this covid related?