PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk skewers

skiezo
05-07-2019, 04:25 PM
I have always used internal cam skewers. I know they are a bit heavier but I trust them. I like dura ace,tune,velocity and the latest campy.
I was using a external cam skewer once, I think it was a zipp, And the external plastic cam thingy broke so the wheel was no longer secure. It was in the winter and cold that day. I did make it back to the car but ever since that incident I have always used internal cams.
What are your thoughts on skewers?

jtbadge
05-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Dura-Ace or bust.

...except Paul if you need ano.

or Campy if you're a grouchy Paceline europhile.

I've never had an external cam skewer fail/break, but they sure love to slip. Especially on horizontal dropouts.

Clean39T
05-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Campy Record "window" skewers are the bees-knees, of course.

Dura-Ace 7700 are a close second.

Somewhere down the list are Paul's, probably after all Shimano and Campy versions have been accounted for...

Twist-to-tighten work fine as long as the dropouts aren't horizontal - bolt on or the weird DT Swiss ones.

And I've never had any fail, but I just don't have time/interest for superlight ones that have external cams.

skiezo
05-07-2019, 04:57 PM
I have a set of tune internal cam skewers that are fantastic. I think they are something like the tune AC 14 or AC 15. I have not been able to find them as of late tho.
Internal cam- check
Light weight at around 55gr-check
Ti axle-check
I do like the DA 7700 and 7800 tho. Some of my faves.

saab2000
05-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Campagnolo skewers for Campagnolo wheels.

Shimano skewers for all other wheels.

No more external cam skewers for me. They're really light but now they scare me and I think in addition to being less safe, they're probably less stiff and solid in the frame.

I stocked up on 7700 and 7800 skewers a few years ago and they're now my go-to wheel attacher.

54ny77
05-07-2019, 09:28 PM
THIS!!!!!

I had external cam skewers on a wheelset and one afternoon recently it slipped. Thought I had that sucker clamped down hard, but my massive power output must've been too much for that little doohickey..... :D

Now have proper Campy skewers on that bike.

All other bikes have Shimano . Never, not once in decades, have I ever had a wheel slip.

Dura-Ace or bust.

I've never had an external cam skewer fail/break, but they sure love to slip. Especially on horizontal dropouts.

R3awak3n
05-07-2019, 09:39 PM
my favorite skewers are dt swiss RWS, have them on all my bikes.

peanutgallery
05-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Thru axles cure this problem

Vientomas
05-07-2019, 10:15 PM
my favorite skewers are dt swiss RWS, have them on all my bikes.

Yup. My fav skewer too.

thirdgenbird
05-07-2019, 10:19 PM
These are the extras... all three bikes have them too.

Tickdoc
05-07-2019, 10:55 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kPIiDEIl.jpg

54ny77
05-07-2019, 11:11 PM
A-ha! You're the market hoarder. :D

A forum member graciously sold me some sweet Campy skewers like yours. They lock down nicely.

These are the extras... all three bikes have them too.

hobbanero
05-07-2019, 11:31 PM
I have had slippage in horizontal dropouts with Zipp external cam skewers. Also creaking on the Ti axle versions. That being said, I have never had an issue with my HED external cam skewers...they seem to have more material than the Zipps on the cam and contacting the dropouts.

DA skewers always reliable but why do they have to be so heavy?

54ny77
05-08-2019, 02:19 AM
I think you're answering your own question. :cool:

I have DA skewers on at least a few sets of wheels.

So smooth, so good.

The difference in weight vs. something lighter is what, the weight of a an energy bar, at best?

I have had slippage in horizontal dropouts with Zipp external cam skewers. Also creaking on the Ti axle versions. That being said, I have never had an issue with my HED external cam skewers...they seem to have more material than the Zipps on the cam and contacting the dropouts.

DA skewers always reliable but why do they have to be so heavy?

Louis
05-08-2019, 02:49 AM
They weren't the internal cam type, but I have to say that the skewers that came with my Topolinos (wheels now retired due to various issues) had the most satisfying feeling as they got tighter and tighter, then backed off a bit when the lever went over-center.

The resistance to closing and the rate at which it increased to that perfect level (obviously the starting point depends on how tight you thread them on to begin with) was quite reassuring.

JLQ
05-08-2019, 05:34 AM
Yup. My fav skewer too.

3rd vote for DT Swiss RWS.

fa63
05-08-2019, 06:16 AM
My favorites are:

Campy Zonda (or above)
DT Swiss RWS
Shimano Dura Ace

martl
05-08-2019, 06:21 AM
I have a set of tune internal cam skewers that are fantastic. I think they are something like the tune AC 14 or AC 15. I have not been able to find them as of late tho.
Internal cam- check
Light weight at around 55gr-check
Ti axle-check

I second that. They are, like most Tune stuff, extremely well-made and despite their low weight have clamped everything reliably i wanted them to clamp.
Only downside is that, for the rear one, the lever has the 90° on the "wrong" side; they are meant to go over the center of the axle in locked position, where the rear dropout design of many modern steel/alloy/ti frames is very beefy; if they would close *under* the dropout, they'd be perfect.

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/f3/4/480/480504-z6pfzse8qg47-microsoftedge_2019_05_0813_19_00-medium.jpg (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/480504)

vincenz
05-08-2019, 06:28 AM
I was looking at lightweight skewers at one point, but decided against them. Saving 75g is not worth my teeth. I’ve never had issues with internal cam skewers from either Shimano and Campy. I tend to stay away from external cam ones. They don’t clamp as securely.

Dura-Ace or bust.

What’s your issue with Campy? Are you trolling? Every other post from you— you starved for attention?

Skewers from all the major manufacturers work well. This is one area they tend to not go weightweenie on, for good reason. Both vintage and modern Campy with internal work great as well.

zap
05-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Two pairs of 50g Bold ti skewers used for a few years. No issues. This is as light as I go.

Salsa ti skewers on our rim brake tandem used for god knows how long. No issues.

Do have several Campy and Mavic internal skewers as well. All but one sitting in a drawer.

thirdgenbird
05-08-2019, 09:21 PM
A-ha! You're the market hoarder. :D

A forum member graciously sold me some sweet Campy skewers like yours. They lock down nicely.

I actually own the hubs/wheels for all but one set.

palincss
05-09-2019, 10:47 AM
These plain old ordinary carried at my local bike shop Velocity QR skewers are actually quite nice:

https://www.velocityusa.com/images/made/files/inventory/pair_800_533.png

Powerful Pete
05-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Really, Campagnolo of any generation. Or Shimano if you're that kind of person. :rolleyes:

Not worthwhile to spend time and energy for any other (inferior) option.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2019, 11:18 AM
What’s your issue with Campy? Are you trolling? Every other post from you— you starved for attention?

Bad mouthing Campagnolo is kinda a sport here on the paceline..along with getting hammered if you do the same with sram..

Haven't seen a 'Campagnolo is going out of biz' or 'what's up with Campagnolo' thread for a few weeks..must be about time..:eek::):no:

old_fat_and_slow
05-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Did I miss the skewers are still okay memo?

I thought we all had to run through axles now if we wanted to be cool, and if we had an old frame that didn't accept through axles we needed to through it out, cuz it was obsolete now? What gives? :confused:

martl
05-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Really, Campagnolo of any generation. Or Shimano if you're that kind of person. :rolleyes:

Not worthwhile to spend time and energy for any other (inferior) option.

i think i own a frame that's lighter than a set of Campagnolo skewers

Powerful Pete
05-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Touche martl. But then again, cheaper than a new set of teeth. I am a WW, but some things aren't worth it.

It is helpful that some bits, like Campagnolo skewers are the ultimate set and forget. Never an issue of any sort.

martl
05-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Touche martl. But then again, cheaper than a new set of teeth. I am a WW, but some things aren't worth it.

It is helpful that some bits, like Campagnolo skewers are the ultimate set and forget. Never an issue of any sort.

Before lawyer lips were invented by some genius, the number of teeth lost due to bikes losing wheels while riding was close to 0 :D

I won't eat anyones donut for riding heavy, reliable skewers. Only, if a set of skewers weighing 60g can do the same job as one that weighs a pound and a half, my engineer instincts kick in. Excess of weight for doing the job = bad engineering ;) (that philosophy never made it from Zuffenhausen, Molsheim, Maranello or Hethel to Detroit)

sitzmark
05-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Before lawyer lips were invented by some genius, the number of teeth lost due to bikes losing wheels while riding was close to 0 :D

I won't eat anyones donut for riding heavy, reliable skewers. Only, if a set of skewers weighing 60g can do the same job as one that weighs a pound and a half, my engineer instincts kick in. Excess of weight for doing the job = bad engineering ;)

I resemble that remark! :banana:

Odd man out. Suntour/Shimano internal cam back in the 90's for MTB. Now - 10+ years of only external cam road skewers. Just use what comes with wheel sets, so mostly a bunch of Zipps, but a few DT Swiss, Mavic, and Fulcrum. Still have my teeth. :D

beeatnik
05-09-2019, 05:12 PM
These plain old ordinary carried at my local bike shop Velocity QR skewers are actually quite nice:

https://www.velocityusa.com/images/made/files/inventory/pair_800_533.png

My QR List

Best Best - Campagnolo Black Record/Shamal/Bora Level (few variations)
https://www.starbike.com/en/campagnolo-quick-release-set/

Best Beautiful - Campy Nuovo Record/Record Polished 8-10 Speed Era
https://live.staticflickr.com/7117/13413533684_67e1eac203_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/3917/15043273726_121bce242c_c.jpg

Best Series of the last 15 Years - Shimano 105/Ultegra/DA

Best Bargain - The Velocity QRs above

Best Low Weight Ti QR - ENVE with the rounded arm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Enve-Titanium-Skewers-Pair-Road-Bike-Wheelset-Black-Light-60gr-EXC/303143337005?hash=item4694c03c2d:g:icwAAOSwoeVczPM X

Best Click and Forget Not Super Sexy Skewers - Mavic Carbone (wonderful and rare)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Quick-Release-Wheel-Skewers-black/273824271337?hash=item3fc132cbe9:g:G~4AAOSwk25cxOc 8