PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming burnout.

joep2517
05-07-2019, 04:09 PM
I'm almost afraid to post this, because of some of the remarks. I'm really looking for advice, your experience.

About 18 months ago, I finished a week long ride. When I got off the bike, I was tired, both physically and mentally. I told myself to take a break, get some rest and then start back. The start back never happened. Over the next 18 months, I've been outside twice. I've been on the trainer some but I'm not serious about it.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you get out of your funk?

Honestly, I want to ride but the heart isn't there. Work has been stressful (I know riding would help) and when I get home all I want to do is sleep.

Please don't say HTFU. I get that and if pushed I could get on the bike and ride but it's like something turned off - and I hate that.

I loved to ride.

Thanks,
Joe

BobO
05-07-2019, 04:16 PM
What is it about riding that you loved?

merckxman
05-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Perhaps a different kind of riding with different scenery could help.

Dude
05-07-2019, 04:20 PM
1. no pressure to ride. it's okay to take time off. It sounds like the pressure is coming from yourself.
2. i found riding with friends helps me. Or don't even get kitted up, just hop on your bike in jeans and hoodie and ride to a coffee shop or beer or something else you enjoy.
3. Regarding the sleeping all the time thing, are there other aspects of your life that you aren't enjoying because of the "funk?"

cmg
05-07-2019, 04:24 PM
you don't to do a bone crushing 100 miler. Take off the speedometer/electronic record of your ride device and just do about 1hr out and back. Too many times we get lost on the "I'm suppose to be improving" motivator but you really don't. you need to enjoy. During the week i do a 1 1/2 hr ride through adjacent neighborhoods, very relaxing. none of my bikes have speedos on them. i don't track mileage anymore.

weisan
05-07-2019, 04:25 PM
joe pal, I have been riding seriously for almost 33 years now. My secret to longevity and avoidance of burnout is to keep a very light-hearted and easy-going approach to everything bike-related.

I care about how strong I am on the bike but if my fitness drop off because of whatever reason - I don't sweat it, I just ride.

I care about the kind of bike that I am riding but if I can only have one bike and it doesn't check off all the boxes - I don't sweat it, I just ride.

I care about whether I am able to ride with a nice group of people but if I have to ride alone and by myself - I don't sweat it, I just ride.

I care about whether I have the necessary space to store all my bikes but if we move to a small little apartment say tomorrow and I can only have one bike - I don't sweat it, I just ride.

Life is stressful already as it is, I don't need to add biking to that list.

Variety is key.

I ride all kinds of bikes - commuter, road, gravel, tandem, cruiser...you name it, I ride them all.

I wear all kinds of clothes to ride a bike - full kit, street clothes, pajamas, just my underwear, naked...you name it, I have tried them all.

Who set the rules around here when it comes to biking?

Nobody...except you. You don't have to care about what others think or say. When it comes to matter regarding you and your bike, you are KING...you set your own rules, others have zero say on it.

Get it?

Good luck pal...if you are ever in Austin, hit me up, we go ride...

false_Aest
05-07-2019, 04:28 PM
i stopped riding.
i started hiking + going to the gym.

later on i started riding again.

my brain was just tired of it.

it's good to obsess over something else now and again.

FlashUNC
05-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Real talk: Might be time to talk to someone about your mental health.

In isolation, not a big deal -- interests change after all -- but if this is combined with work stress, anxiety, whatever else might be going on, it might be a sign of bigger mental health issues that you should talk to a professional about.

David Kirk
05-07-2019, 04:29 PM
I've been there. I get it.

For me what worked was not taking it at all seriously. I put some flat pedals on and didn't wear cycling clothes and went for a ride around the block...about 1 mile in my case.

I didn't ride again for a week or so and then I rode around the block again. From there it ramped up to a fun and sustainable level. I got rid of the computer and the watch and didn't care if I rode 1 mile or 100 miles. A ride is a ride regardless of what you are wearing and how far and fast you go.

If you try something like this and the urge doesn't kick back in that is OK too. Maybe it will in the future. As long as you can stay active and healthy that's the important part.

dave

zetroc
05-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Don't do any riding until you feel ready.

old_fat_and_slow
05-07-2019, 04:37 PM
If you're burnt out, first recommendation is stay off the trainer. That does nothing but add to the feeling of being burned out.

You have to take care of your job and family responsibilities first. If job is stressful and requires more time, well bike riding just has to suffer for awhile. Try to run, swim, lift weights or whatever you enjoy to try to maintain some fitness level.

Try to get back on the bike just for short rides on the weekends or whenever is most convenient, and don't try to be competitive with other riders. Just get back on, and go for the most scenic route you have available. The enjoyment will come back.

Whenever I start back up after a brief break, I always think... "man I don't know why I stopped riding in the first place!"

Don't worry. Your mojo will come back.

joosttx
05-07-2019, 04:41 PM
How is your diet?

notsew
05-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Yeah, what they said.

The whole deal is supposed to be fun. Nobody here is winning the Giro. If its not fun, maybe its time for a different hobby. Maybe its time to buy some cut-offs and a fixie. Who knows? But don't add to your stress by thinking you should be riding. You'll come back when its time.

A week long ride is a lot of saddle time. Maybe you just need to be a one hour ride guy for a while.

Flash probably has a good point too.

sparky33
05-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Maybe you need a new hobby for a long while. It happens.

In the meantime, leave the bike wearing some flat pedals.

bob heinatz
05-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Don't worry about speed, miles or anything you might track. Just go out and enjoy a ride and the fresh air.

Blue Jays
05-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Occasionally discarding the GPS / HRM can be remarkably liberating.
Hang in there, friend. Beautiful times outdoors is around the corner.

Cornfed
05-07-2019, 05:59 PM
What Flash said. If you're not going outside and all you want to do is sleep, there may be more there than bicycle burnout. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself, first. Everything else will come when it comes. The main thing is to be well. We'll be rooting for you.

Spaghetti Legs
05-07-2019, 06:00 PM

In isolation, not a big deal -- interests change after all -- but if this is combined with work stress, anxiety, whatever else might be going on, it might be a sign of bigger mental health issues that you should talk to a professional about.

This bears repeating. It may not be just a bike thing.

OtayBW
05-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Honestly, I want to ride but the heart isn't there.
That's how you are now. Doesn't necessarily mean that's how you'll feel later. Cycling takes a lot of time and schlepping and cleaning and schlepping, and it can get to be a bit much if you've got a lot going on - or if things aren't going as well as you'd like right now.

Allow yourself to take a break with no judgement if that's what feels right for now. See what happens.

I'd say you're certainly not alone.

alessandro
05-07-2019, 06:30 PM

This bears repeating. It may not be just a bike thing.

Joe, I highly recommend finding someone to talk to. A neutral third party who's also trained in human psychology and behavior that you hang out with for an hour once a week. I've done it at a couple of different times in my life and found it extremely helpful. Ask around, get some recommendations, make appointments, and find the person you feel comfortable having revealing personal conversations with. A good fit. You know, like the right bicycle.

Seriously: Could you be experiencing occupational or professional burnout? This could be causing the physical exhaustion, fatigue, and apathy toward things that used to be enjoyable, such as cycling?

I'm not a practitioner, but I do work in health care, and professional burnout is increasingly recognized as a real issue, and a huge problem. It's also not necessarily job-related or work-specific.

Maybe you and your bike just need a break for a while. Or maybe you've got mononucleosis. I wish you luck and clear skies ahead.

mosca
05-07-2019, 06:33 PM
If you haven't done so recently, consider seeing a doc and getting some blood work done in case something is out of whack physically.

Also, consider that the stress from work and elsewhere could be affecting you more than you realize. (I've been there and only realized it in hindsight.)

And maybe reevaluate your bike setup and fit. If something wasn't quite right, that week-long ride could have exacerbated the situation to the point that you avoid riding altogether.

And finally, as a shallow person I will attest that some swanky new bar tape and a fresh set of tires does wonders for my enthusiasm. Sometimes I'm simple that way:)

pbalser
05-07-2019, 07:03 PM
lots of really good ideas and advise so far. smart, caring community. kudos for the humility of reaching out.

only thing I know that works is "playing it forward". Maybe head to the local bike shop on saturday am and just watch folks coming and going. Especially kids and newbies. smile at them. giggle at the excitement they have. maybe even offer a kind word or a simple high five.

nothing like gratitude to re-frame where I am at any point in time.

my $.02

Matthew
05-07-2019, 07:23 PM
I'm with the others here in thinking there is more to the issue than cycling. Sounds like the lack of love for cycling is being caused by a bigger issue. I would seriously consider getting some type of professional help. Start with your doctor and see what he or she says. All the best to you. The fact you are still visiting the forum tells me you still have an interest in bikes. Hopefully you can get that fire burning again. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing down the road. Matthew

2LeftCleats
05-07-2019, 07:23 PM
Agree with much of the above. I’d wonder about depression so if it’s gone on this long talking to someone wouldn’t hurt.

mhespenheide
05-07-2019, 07:27 PM
I like a lot of the ideas and comments here, so give some consideration to each of them.

I'll add that I started riding in high school and raced through college. When I graduated college, I debated picking up USCF racing, but was just burned out on it. The training, the intervals, the long days on the bike every weekend, obsessing over the lightest gear, watching the cyclocomputer... I was done with it. I switched over to running almost entirely, and then added in hiking and backpacking. I was away from cycling for almost a decade before I picked it back up again.

Now I back at it regularly, still mixing in the running and hiking and backpacking. (Still don't have a computer or power monitor, though.)

Maybe try a different sport for a while? Running, hiking? A dance class? Martial arts?

I will say that, having gone through periods of stress at work and mild depression, it's a tough loop to break out of once you're in it. If you think there's some possibility of that, do consider talking with someone. A therapist or pastor or longtime friend, etc.

Black Dog
05-07-2019, 07:57 PM

This is a good idea and can do no harm and only do good. It does sound like depression and if not in your head; could be chronic fatigue syndrome or an Epstein barre virus (mono). You need to see someone who can help you sort this out. At least rule out some of the causes to help you get some idea what is behind this. We have all been there to some degree and it happens and whatever you are feeling is real and you can effect change to help you feel better. Hang in there and do not lay blame on yourself, do not be hard on yourself and please do not be afraid or ashamed to get some help. Give yourself permission to take care of yourself.

Onno
05-07-2019, 08:07 PM
So much great advice here! The paceline forum is full of good people.

stien
05-07-2019, 08:13 PM
For a few seasons I would get burnt out at the end of the summer (racing starts early here in the NE) and the last season I raced I battled burnout by riding more dirt or even mountain bike trails on ridiculously the wrong bike, which made it really fun.

The problem with trying to get back into road at least for me is that I didn’t know I wanted it until I was doing it again.

It’s supposed to be fun, so if Road isn’t, try something new.

duff_duffy
05-07-2019, 08:16 PM
For me, giving up caring about speed and distance was the key. I usually ride for a set time OR set distance out. Then I decide to head back or do an extended loop if I feel good. I don’t use speedo, use to always race myself. Flats as well helped my level enjoyment, I don’t know how/why recreational riders would ever clip in:). Obviously everyone different but this helped me.

Tickdoc
05-07-2019, 08:23 PM
What a great place this is. I’m always astounded at the breadth and depth of knowledge that exists here. For me, I have a 1951 Swiss army bike that I drag out about three times a year. The tires are ancient. I can’t believe the tubes even air up. It weighs over fifty pounds. I take it out around the neighborhood in flip flops on warm summer nights and I am renewed and refreshed like jimmy buffett on a beach with a beer somewhere.

I hope you get your mojo back, and if you don’t? I hope you find some way to find some joy.

Clean39T
05-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Everybody has already said everything I'd want to say - - so I'll just leave it at wishing you well and offering a confidential inbox here if you ever need to use it..

joep2517
05-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Everyone - thank you! I want to figure out what's going on. I found happiness on my bike. I'm extreme socially inept but being on the bike provided a common interest to talk about.

Flash - I need to take what you are saying very serious. I will reach out to my company's employee assistance program.

Joe

clyde the point
05-07-2019, 09:20 PM
I loved riding in my underwear when we had the farm!
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47799299161_d0275806b4_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fPRUkB)EBABE10E-F805-48E7-BEDD-4898A4F4E4A1 (https://flic.kr/p/2fPRUkB) by Clyde the Pointer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/148750154@N02/), on Flickr

54ny77
05-07-2019, 09:24 PM
The correct answer is buy another bike, frame, whatever. N+1!

Kidding...

Hang it up, do other things. Bikes? Eh, whatever. It's not your life, or shouldn't be unless you're a pro and make a living from it. Then it's a job. Otherwise it should be enjoyable, no matter how fast or slow you go.

A week long ride is a very long ride by the way. That's got to be a mental and physical exhausting effort requiring proper recovery.

shoota
05-07-2019, 09:30 PM
I'm almost afraid to post this, because of some of the remarks. I'm really looking for advice, your experience.

About 18 months ago, I finished a week long ride. When I got off the bike, I was tired, both physically and mentally. I told myself to take a break, get some rest and then start back. The start back never happened. Over the next 18 months, I've been outside twice. I've been on the trainer some but I'm not serious about it.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you get out of your funk?

Honestly, I want to ride but the heart isn't there. Work has been stressful (I know riding would help) and when I get home all I want to do is sleep.

Please don't say HTFU. I get that and if pushed I could get on the bike and ride but it's like something turned off - and I hate that.

I loved to ride.

Thanks,
Joe

Been there so many times dude. For me it's always stress that kills my riding. I haven't found an instant fix yet but one thing I do enjoy when I'm in that funk is taking out one of my "fun" bikes for a really short cruise around the neighborhood. Like 10-20 minutes in regular clothes, no helmet, no goals, just feeling like a kid again. Currently my two fun bikes are a 70s Windosr set up SS and an 80s Tommasini Super Prestige. Maybe use the "off time" to build up a fun bike that you can ride the same way? Sometimes I enjoy wrenching more than riding.

dbnm
05-07-2019, 09:39 PM
Today I rode with a "kid" who I know. He is 20 and races for his college. He trains constantly and doesn't get the chance to "just ride" very much.

I am 50. I don't use a powermeter or heart monitor. I don't care about that stuff.

Well we had a great time. We did 70 miles and 3000 feet of climbing. He told me that he had a great time and this was the most fun he's had in a year. He also said that cycling feels like work when he is at school. That sucks.

Just go for a ride. Doesn't have to be long and difficult. Just ride. Go get coffee. Smile. Take a new route. Just spin.

Kirk007
05-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Is there happiness and joy in some aspect of your life? Are you otherwise physically active and healthy? If no and no, then yes get thee to the EAP program or your doc.

And in my experience, the first ride back is the hardest; and it's not the ride it's the thinking about it and overcoming the mental inertia. For me, in similar situations, when I get back on the bike it's like, duh, what took you so long to just do it. But first make sure you are ok with life.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

unterhausen
05-08-2019, 06:23 AM
I mostly have to remind myself that I'm riding for my health. I end up on the trainer a lot. Riding with trainerroad makes that a lot more interesting, if I was just getting on there to ride I wouldn't do it.

I really got burned out a couple of years ago and turned to mountain biking. Before that, it was gravel.

I feel a lot better when I ride. Definitely helps with any generalized anxiety. I think long rides tend to produce a fairly bad case of dysphoria under some conditions that I don't really understand. I know back in my 20s, it took me a long time to get over my first really long ride, 275 miles. Then more recently, I felt depressed for a month after my first 600km brevet. My understanding is this is pretty common. But the OP should be over anything like that.

vincenz
05-08-2019, 06:39 AM
Once I feel like my rides are becoming more like work or chores versus fun and exercise, I stop and take a break for some days. Just listen to your body.

AngryScientist
05-08-2019, 07:08 AM
Sounds like the problem is not about cycling; but a bigger issue.

18 months of feeling stressed and only wanting to sleep after work is unhealthy and you need to find a way to break that cycle.

I sincerely wish you the best. Good luck and don’t give up.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Same boat here..just don't have the desire to get all kitted up and go ride..NOT a big deal, not the end of the world.
I find that just going out and turning the pedals is worth it..no distance, speed, time, even a 'bike path bounce around'..it's all OK..you don't have to be surgically joined to a 'bike', even for appearances on this 'bike' forum.

BUT, for YOU, the answer isn't some sort of 'just get on that thing and ride'..as has been mentioned..

BUT if you are cooked, all the time, there 'may' be something else 'up'..

biker72
05-08-2019, 07:19 AM
First of all get a physical to make sure there is no underlying problem. If that checks out OK then just go for a ride...anywhere.

For no good reason I decided to take a ride to every place I've worked since I retired. It was fun and I enjoyed some new scenery.

Another time I rode by all the closer Einstein Bagel shops. Stopped at a couple and drank some coffee. No schedule..no need to be anywhere at any certain time.

YoKev
05-08-2019, 07:48 AM
I've been there too, and there are always underlying causes

For me, the little stuff tends to stack up and the inevitable straw that breaks the camels back can be crippling; how did I get here?

So, Be well and take care of yourself. The bike will be there when you are ready.

Mzilliox
05-08-2019, 08:23 AM
i burn out sometimes, more like mini burnouts.
i also do physical work and some days i just cant muster the will to ride.
So i just dont. but one needs to stay active, so find that other something.

try the Waking Up meditation app by Sam Harris.

then buy a new bike if possible, like maybe a gravel bike or mtn bike.

or buy new wheels for your existing bike.

or give it a cleanup and polish and fresh tires

sitzmark
05-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Joe, wishing you the best of luck in your journey to overcoming burnout. You will get there - have no doubt about that. It's just a process - sometimes more deep and demanding than other times, but everyone goes through it at some point in their life. Think you can see from the community here that you have everyone's support and encouragement - do find someone local who you can share more private things than what you might want to post on a public forum.

Don't sweat the bike - joy for it will most likely return, but if it doesn't it's not the end of the world. One question you might consider is if the week-long ride that ended in exhaustion was a "bucket list" kind of ride with expectations that didn't materialize. High-expectation rides can end in rejuvenating-exhaustion from accomplishing an objective/enjoying an experience, or end with exhaustion-exhaustion if it was just another unfulfilling task. Maybe you were hoping to enjoy a break from other things in your life and the ride didn't work out that way. In that case it would be reasonable for you not to be motivated to re-engage with the bike and feelings of disappointment from that experience.

Sounds like you might need another sabbatical, this time without the pressure of a pre-determined end ... some time to laugh and relax with family or a close friend(s). Maybe take the bike along, but don't make it a pillar of the journey - maybe you ride or maybe you don't - could be leisurely or spirited rides, whatever feels good at the time, but keeping the focus on fun and sharing an experience with someone.

If part of your demotivation is that feeling of starting over and performance that "used to be", you're not the lone ranger there. I (and I'm sure many others) will raise my hand and join you in that journey. Has been a couple of difficult years leading a non-profit BOD/organization with many challenges and difficult decisions. Sucked away the time and focus available for enjoying the bike. My ride buddies are now posting SCREAMING performance at the start of this season that we weren't even hitting at peak two years ago. I'm happy for them - they've put in the work. Will require a lot of commitment for me to rejoin that group on the road, but they've been there to provide encouragement and support the few times I've been out on the bike this season. If you don't have a support network, do find one because it definitely makes a difference.

Looking forward to your post when you've rediscovered your motivation and are enjoying all aspects of your life again! Keep in touch - let us know how it's going.

chiasticon
05-08-2019, 08:43 AM
I'm not going to disagree with the idea that you should consider mental health consultation. certainly sounds like there's potential for something going on there. but I will say that when you've taken time away from physical activity, it's difficult to get started up again. if you're used to coming home and relaxing/sleeping, that's what your body and mind want to do. they don't want to come home from work, grab some coffee/snack, kit up, and hop on the bike. I rode a lot less last year than I have in recent years. and almost every day, I'd come home from work, nap for an hour, then either go for a brief ride or just hang out. it was difficult to break that cycle. your body gets used to the routine. add to that that diet can easily start to make you feel sluggish and lethargic (it did for me), making it even more difficult to hop on the bike, and once you did, crappy while doing it.

anyway... just some other things to consider here. you can break out of this cycle though. whether that means you start riding again, or running, or rock climbing, or building ships in bottles... the important thing is that it sounds like you're currently not happy with yourself, and that needs to change.

Tandem Rider
05-08-2019, 09:00 AM
I believe that the human body can only handle so much stress before it needs a rest. Cycling is stress, worried about work is stress, pressure at work is stress, significant other issues are stress, a sick kid is stress, you get the idea. It sounds like your "stress bucket" is full and you need to find a way to make it less full.
When we found out about my daughter's condition, I went from racing masters at the national level, training every day, to sometimes getting out for an hour at most, by myself, small ring, just moving. I couldn't handle that much stress.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2019, 09:11 AM
I believe that the human body can only handle so much stress before it needs a rest. Cycling is stress, worried about work is stress, pressure at work is stress, significant other issues are stress, a sick kid is stress, you get the idea. It sounds like your "stress bucket" is full and you need to find a way to make it less full.
When we found out about my daughter's condition, I went from racing masters at the national level, training every day, to sometimes getting out for an hour at most, by myself, small ring, just moving. I couldn't handle that much stress.

Important part..Cycling is stress..when it becomes a 'job', it IS stress, a problem to resolve/solve. Sounds like the OPs issue is that cycling had become a burden, a point of stress and then, NOT riding a stressor as well(hence his post)..

YUP, sounds like water jug(stress) is full..go see an impartial third party, helped me, my wife, my kids...BUT don't just 'get out there and ride'..not good advice, IMHO..

benb
05-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Work at finding something else for variety and don't sweat relaxing on the cycling.

If you're not a pro cyclist there is no need to go crazy about it like we all seem to do from time to time.

For the most part constantly cycling does not really lead to great generalized fitness.. if you take time off and do something else it's good for you.

In 2016 & 2018 I did my highest concentration of really hardened training in a long long time. Both times I burnt myself out pretty good and didn't really finish the season strong at all. In 2018 after my big event I had put enough stress into my system that my blood pressure was kind of high.. it went back to normal after a couple weeks go chilling out. It's the 2nd time it's happened to me cycling. First time was in my 20s and was way more severe.

2017 I said I was chilling big time, I've been saying the same thing this spring, let myself have a slow start.

2018 and 2019 have both been very cold, wet springs here. Last year I rode a ton of big mile days in the rain & cold which is not at all good for mental state. I've basically been not riding in the rain this spring at all.

I'm always peeved about cycling seemingly burning away all my upper body strength, we just got a new rock climbing gym here very convenient for me, I just joined, I am way more excited to do that right now, especially since it is incredibly corrective of everything that gets weak and atrophied from constant cycling. I am catching myself feeling guilty about calories burned or weighing a pound or two more but then I catch myself and realize that's ridiculous.. pretty much every time I go up and come down I'm heaving like I just did a nasty interval workout on the bike so I'm definitely getting a fitness benefit. And there's absolutely no downside to going and doing that on a rainy day.

One thing I notice.. exercise is a good time for me to clear my mind. If I'm burnt out on cycling it gets hard to do that. I can't be in the moment. If I can't be in the moment the stress relief benefits of cycling go away.

Running totally doesn't work for me due constant injuries that super stress me out. If I lived in the right place I'd be into surfing or kayaking or something.

pdonk
05-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Having gone through burnouts (bike, life, work) a few times, here is my advice, and advice based on talking with a counsellor when I went through a dark period a number of years ago.

Do a quick inventory on the things that bring you joy.
Make time to do these things first.
Don't put things on the list that are "supposed" to bring you joy
Don't focus on things that make you unhappy.
If cycling is not on the list don't do it or do it just a bit or in a form you like until it makes the list. If it does not make the list don't worry about it.

Maybe your life priorities and your interests have changed and cycling does not need to be a big part of it anymore. Its not like you can't come back to riding, your bike will always be there.

One of the weird things is how we let our activities identify who we are to others and how we hold those ideas of who we are strongly. Maybe its the idea that everyone thinks of you as a "C"yclist and maybe you really only need or want to be a cyclist is a part of the issue.

joep2517
05-08-2019, 11:59 AM
There is so much to read through and digest. I appreciate all of your input. I need to take some time to think about what everyone has said and then - take action.

My stress, outside of work, is centered on "not" riding. Riding has always been my escape; it's when I let go of everything and stomp on the pedals and refocus. My mind wants to ride but my heart isn't there and that frustrates - which, in turn, stresses me. Several people have said that I need to lighten up and I agree. I am a goal driven person so I need to chill out.

Physically, I'm fine. I'm at my doctors monthly due to a prior condition. All of my numbers are good. My doctors want me to ride (and that may indirectly add to my stress); they keep reminding me :) of the benefits of exercising.

To everyone - thank you.

Joe

Nooch
05-08-2019, 01:05 PM
While not the OP I want to also thank the community for being generally awesome..

I'm in a similar boat.

Last year was the best year I'd had on a bike, damn near period. No, not the best miles, but the best quality -- racing was great -- no results, but I didn't get dropped *too* much.

But last year we also had our third daughter. And while it was "easy" to get out and ride while she was little, now she's fun and developing her personality and I'm falling back in the 'slump' i had when my first two were born (18 months apart). I work 60-70 hours/week between a full time job and a part time serving job (I don't get to dictate my schedule, and as many times as I've asked for less hours having the extra money takes other burdens off my shoulders, so I keep on pushing...)

I'm also having my best year professionally this year, which sadly is taking my attention away from cycling. I've been promoted, selected for our company retreat, things are going well..

But the bike... Like Moana sings of the sea, it calls me. I want to ride -- the desire is there, when I get out I'm happy (although slow, now -- up some weight, so that doesn't help..) but the fatigue of the work week, followed by the desire to be with the kids, and right behind that, the kid's new obligations (6 yo's play softball, dance class, etc...) there's just not a lot of time for the bike and i.

Last year the 4:30 mornings were easy... this year, I'm lucky to hear an alarm before 6:15...

Sorry for the hijack.. the long and short is I've been there before, I'm there now, and I think you'll come out of it. I did once, I hope I can again -- hopefully quicker than the 3.5 years it took me the last time...

Kirk007
05-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Dang Nooch that's a lot on your plate. I know it can feel selfish to take time away from those obligations so something like a bike ride, but some me time and exercise, while easily sacrificed is essential to long term health and happiness. Your at the beginning of a long and hopefully wonderful path with the three kids, you need to take care of yourself along the way. Get out for even an hour a few times a week - in my experience even that will make a difference.

pdonk
05-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Dang Nooch that's a lot on your plate. I know it can feel selfish to take time away from those obligations so something like a bike ride, but some me time and exercise, while easily sacrificed is essential to long term health and happiness. Your at the beginning of a long and hopefully wonderful path with the three kids, you need to take care of yourself along the way. Get out for even an hour a few times a week - in my experience even that will make a difference.

With a 2.5 yr old, my wife and I have been having a similar series of discussions. She finally understands that me going for a 3 hr ride on a Sunday morning makes me a better partner and father as when I come home I an ready for the rest of the day and week and can provide a better quality of focus on things. I've also bought lights for morning and night riding in an attempt to minimize lost family time. My one saving grace is that I work a very steady number of hours on a consistent schedule, even though work is always on my mind.

macaroon
05-08-2019, 01:30 PM
I hope you can work things out Joe. The exact same thing has happened to me; I stopped riding in October 2017, and I've yet to properly restart.

I used to ride a lot, but the longest ride I've been on in 18 months was 30 miles. Like you, in my mind I want to ride, but in my heart I just don't care anymore. I used to put cycling first, almost above all else. I would worry about missing days and losing fitness. But then one week off became two, and two became three and so on, then I realised I was no longer bothered about losing fitness, and the worry no longer existed.

Cycling for me was a good way of escaping, a way to deal with stress. But these days I think I feel less stressed and worried, maybe I've worked out how to deal with it better? In some regards I probably feel more free, since I no longer need to ride my bike. Perhaps that's the same for you? Maybe it's hormonal :-D that's another explanation I came up with. Or it's aging.