PDA

View Full Version : The latest in carbon fiber:

CNY rider
05-07-2019, 02:59 PM
I haven't bought a strong trimmer in over a decade.
Who knew?

MattTuck
05-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Is it laterally stiff but vertically compliant?

I need to get a string trimmer this spring, so actually interested in your choice.

NHAero
05-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Darn! I just bought one a few months ago, and I didn't get the racing version. Will that take 32s?

sparky33
05-07-2019, 03:53 PM
Thinking a bi-lam trimmer situation would be even better.

tangent:
I borrowed a neighbor's cordless electric Li mower this weekend - pleasantly surprised at the whole experience. No noise, no pungent gas odor, no mess, super simple...ideal for my tiny suburb lawn. Seriously thinking of getting a Li trimmer also and taking this chore back from the lawn guy who supposedly cuts my yard. Any other Li mower thoughts out there?

skiezo
05-07-2019, 04:01 PM
I have a CF shaft on my trolling motor. That thing is just plain tough as nails. It has bounced off of rocks in the river and been in the shape of a pronounced bow and keeps coming back for more.

CNY rider
05-07-2019, 04:12 PM
I tried it out this afternoon and it definitely planed for me.
I’m happy to get rid of one of my gas cans. I plan to give it a one year trial and if it’s a winner the gasoline mower is walking the plank next year.

cp43
05-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Thinking a bi-lam trimmer situation would be even better.

tangent:
I borrowed a neighbor's cordless electric Li mower this weekend - pleasantly surprised at the whole experience. No noise, no pungent gas odor, no mess, super simple...ideal for my tiny suburb lawn. Seriously thinking of getting a Li trimmer also and taking this chore back from the lawn guy who supposedly cuts my yard. Any other Li mower thoughts out there?

We have a Li mower and string trimmer (and leaf blower, and hedge trimmer). We have 2.5 acres, so primary mowing is with a gas powered riding mower, but the tight areas get cut with the electric. The Li items we have (Lowe's brand, 40v) have been trouble free and work quite well. For a small yard, I would say, go for it.

The electric will bog down more easily than a gas powered mower though. So, if you let the grass get too long, or mow when it's wet, you may not be able to take a full width cut.

CNY rider
05-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Is it laterally stiff but vertically compliant?

I need to get a string trimmer this spring, so actually interested in your choice.

I Went with the Consumer Reports recommendation.
First thing I noticed was how quiet it is and the lack of disgusting 2 stroke fumes following me in a cloud.

sparky33
05-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Nice. Sounds like the supple mowing experience I've been looking for.

We have a Li mower and string trimmer (and leaf blower, and hedge trimmer). We have 2.5 acres, so primary mowing is with a gas powered riding mower, but the tight areas get cut with the electric. The Li items we have (Lowe's brand, 40v) have been trouble free and work quite well. For a small yard, I would say, go for it.

The electric will bog down more easily than a gas powered mower though. So, if you let the grass get too long, or mow when it's wet, you may not be able to take a full width cut.

zap
05-08-2019, 10:05 AM
Purchased same three weeks ago. Third ego product.

Nice to just slide on a battery and get to work.

jb_11
05-08-2019, 12:32 PM
I've had an EGO trimmer and mower for ~3 years. They've both been wonderful. A big selling point on the mower is that is folds up and stores vertically. Way less wasted floor space. They're both significantly quieter than gas powered models too.

benb
05-08-2019, 01:42 PM
I don't think I'd care about lateral stiffness and vertical compliance here, just weight.

I have a pretty beefy Echo weed wacker, that mother is heavy & really hard on your arms the way it balances.

The CF shaft would probably be really appreciated.. even if it doesn't weight that much that weight is on the end of a long lever arm.

Ugh.. I bought the Echo a long time ago now and it is insanely reliable.. but the electric one would be perfect for my yard.. it's not a big yard. I had a lot more to do when I bought my Echo and battery operated stuff wasn't nearly as good back then.

d_douglas
05-08-2019, 01:53 PM
I have a friend in Europe (a cyclist) who is involved in carbon manufacturing of this type. He works w a German company that has factories in Bangladesh that contract services for all things carbon fibre - sailing : hockey : cycling : automotive : aerospace: medical.

The last three are their long term goals.

In any case, a carbon trimmer shaft is likely more their speed at the moment!!

bet!

unterhausen
05-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Nice to just slide on a battery and get to work.
I had a pretty decent gas string trimmer, but I didn't use it very often and we can't get ethanol free gas so the gas would go sour between uses. It's so much nicer just to have a battery. A 5ah pack does our yard just fine. I have a dewalt and it has the same packs as my drill and other cordless tools, which I think is a big selling point. Still uses up string faster than I want to mess with it though.

beeatnik
05-09-2019, 02:55 AM
Graphite for distance.
Steel for feel.

C40_guy
05-12-2019, 07:28 PM
I've been looking for an electric string trimmer too...thanks!

I started kayaking 3 years ago. Picked up an older Current Designs Solstice GTS and the best upgrade, partway through the season, was moving from a basic aluminum shaft paddle to a Werner Camano all carbon paddle. The difference in feel is unbelievable.

Unfortunately, just like wheelsets, you can never have one paddle. So I'm looking for a Werner Shuna paddle now. It's a high angle paddle, versus the low angle Camano. Won't make a difference to anything but my paypal balance. :)

cmbicycles
05-12-2019, 08:00 PM
I'm curious to know what kind of run times people are getting from these electric trimmers. I use my trimmer once every few weeks and if it would last for a good 30 minutes of trimming that would be a welcome change from fighting my echo trimmer to get up to full throttle.