PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Cosmic Carbone Question...

orbea65
12-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Just got a smokin deal on a set of these from one of Swoop's buddies..:)

They are tubies (of course). I will be using Conti Comps on them. Should I just use the standard 22mm width, or should use the 19mm width?? The wheels will be used for crits and road races, not time trials.
I think he used tufo tape, as there appears to be a layer of this on the wheels. I could leave it on there, and glue over it, as it is on there pretty smooth.....but is there an easy way to remove the tape? Seems to be on there pretty good..
thx!
BTW, I've had 'the other' brand carbon wheel before, 404's. Lifting these carbones (sl's, with the alum. rim) out of the box, they really don't feel that heavy. I can't wait to use them.

sspielman
12-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Standard width tubulars-like Veloflex Criteriums- would be perfect. I would try to remove the tape to start gluing from a clean, fresh surface, but that is my bias.

swoop
12-05-2006, 01:23 PM
22's. antony didn't do a lot of crits last year... so... i can't imagine those wheels have any miles on them at all!

orbea65
12-06-2006, 07:01 AM
22's. antony didn't do a lot of crits last year... so... i can't imagine those wheels have any miles on them at all!

They certainly don't appear to have much use. Both are dished perfect, and one has a tiny side to side play in one spot, probably have a local guy take 5 minutes to adjust one or two spokes. I think he said these are 2005's. Do the newer wheels come with the huge Ksyrium-like spokes? I like the more standard looking blade spokes on these, not like the huge aluminum blades (parachutes) on Ksyriums.
Gonna pop off the freehub to clean drip some oil into as it sounds a bit dry.
I'll go with the conti comp 22's for tires. Sweet wheels!!

sspielman
12-06-2006, 07:10 AM
this Forum's very own Matt Barkley coined the term for these wheels "Carboners"....I think that it should be used more widely.....
The King of fast wheels.....