PDA

View Full Version : I loved my Wahoo Bolt...until now *SOLVED*

makoti
05-06-2019, 08:36 PM
There was some sort of app upgrade. Suddenly, every time I turned on the app it tried to pair the phone. Nasty music blaring & a video. Every time. Finally, I said fine, I'll re-pair it. BIG mistake.
I unpaired the phone & tried to re-pair. My Galaxy S7, which paired originally great wouldn't pair.
Fine, I'll uninstall the app & start over. Nothing.
Fine, I'll empty the cache & try. Nope.
Fine, let's try the data. Maybe it thinks it's already paired, still. Nope.
Called CS. They got almost nothing. Try in different lighting. Tried many, nope.
Try taking a pic of the QR code and scanning that. Did it, nope. Ok, try a full reset. That should work. It didn't, and now I have an out of the box Bolt with the wrong fields available & no way to change them.
Anybody have trouble getting your Bolt to pair & worked around it? How?
Seriously, I loved this thing but not being able to use it expect for really basic stuff because my phone won't see it is crazy.

Clean39T
05-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Was having the same thing last few days and reset it today - took 3-4 mins and now everything seems fine..

Pixel 2 here, fwiw.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

shoota
05-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Not updating ANYTHING now.

makoti
05-06-2019, 09:20 PM
Was having the same thing last few days and reset it today - took 3-4 mins and now everything seems fine..

Pixel 2 here, fwiw.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You couldn't get it to pair, either? Did you unpair it?

unterhausen
05-06-2019, 09:22 PM
sounds like he reset the bolt.

Please keep us updated. I'm really leaning towards a 1030, but a bolt is still in the running.

I know they just did a major update to correspond with the roam introduction.

makoti
05-06-2019, 09:51 PM
sounds like he reset the bolt.

Please keep us updated. I'm really leaning towards a 1030, but a bolt is still in the running.

I know they just did a major update to correspond with the roam introduction.

If I get it running again, I'll be sure to let you all know. One update...when I did the hard reset, I got basic fields - no power or Cadence. I easily (very easily) re-paired my power & cadence units and HOORAY! fields for those came back. Can't adjust them at all, but it's something.

FlashUNC
05-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Factory reset?

makoti
05-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Factory reset?

I did that 5 times, to get a new QR code to try (generates a new one with each reset). Never did it help.
The thing is, I don't know how this is a BOLT UNIT issue. This sounds like an APP issue. It won't scan the QR code. The unit seems to work, it creates the code, it isn't the units fault the phone won't read it & I know the scanner works fine in other apps.

Mikej
05-07-2019, 07:49 AM
email wahoo, they are pretty good at helping.

makoti
05-07-2019, 08:07 AM
email wahoo, they are pretty good at helping.

Emailed & called. They've been "helpful", it's just none of the suggestions have worked so far.

Cat3roadracer
05-07-2019, 09:12 AM
“Technology will save us if it does not kill us first.”

berserk87
05-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Wahoo has pushed some updates through lately. I wonder if one of the files pushed through to you was corrupted.

unterhausen
05-07-2019, 09:32 AM
I'm sure it's wahoo's fault, keep bugging them until they tell you about a software update. I'm sure one is coming.

I assume you've turned off the bluetooth on the phone and turned it back on, i seem to have to do this all the time with my wahoo devices.

makoti
05-07-2019, 10:31 AM
I'm sure it's wahoo's fault, keep bugging them until they tell you about a software update. I'm sure one is coming.

I assume you've turned off the bluetooth on the phone and turned it back on, i seem to have to do this all the time with my wahoo devices.

Yep. Phone/bolt off/on several times.
They did mention that they'd heard about the video playing all the time & we're working on it.

One twist in this that I can't see making a difference, but...
I, for a day (long story. Could not get service in my house), switched cell carriers. I'm on the one that hardly works, waiting for my new sim to go back to verizon. Could the fact that I get little usable service with this carrier matter? I can't send text images at all with it & this phone. Maybe some other glitch?

John H.
05-07-2019, 10:54 AM
In the last 2 weeks SRM and Pioneer powermeter users got a surprise.
Wahoo put through an update- This update made the power readings wonky.
Negative and low power numbers- No way to fix on the road.

Wahoo is still trying to figure out a fix.

scoobydrew
05-07-2019, 11:01 AM
Got a Bolt about 2 months ago. Loved it when I first got it, but the last 2 firmware updates haven't been productive. My data pages have been completely reset and the LED lights no longer work as intended (I have it set up for HR zones).

Hope they get this fixed ASAP.

kppolich
05-07-2019, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Not updating ANYTHING now.

Coming from someone who works in the software development field, companies release updates to fix problems, not cause more negative effects. Updates in the future could bring new features like navigator and turn by turn which many customers have asked for over the years since the initial release.

I do agree that these bugs should have been caught during the Wahoo Regression testing, but smaller companies like this typically rely on consumers (you) to do the final round of testing before they release another patch or update.

simonov
05-07-2019, 11:24 AM
One twist in this that I can't see making a difference, but...
I, for a day (long story. Could not get service in my house), switched cell carriers. I'm on the one that hardly works, waiting for my new sim to go back to verizon. Could the fact that I get little usable service with this carrier matter? I can't send text images at all with it & this phone. Maybe some other glitch?

I'm not a Wahoo user, so I'm mostly going on what you said in this thread, but if the Bolt requires the app to scan and register the QR code to pair, and if the app relies on a connection to their service to validate the QR code, then it's possible your spotty connection to the internet is causing issues. Can you put your phone on Wifi and try everything when you're positive you're getting internet access?

wallymann
05-07-2019, 12:24 PM
wipe/rebuild your S7's boot cache.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28028

Mikej
05-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Is your Bluetooth on your phone working? Is the app allowed to use your camera?

makoti
05-07-2019, 09:59 PM
I'm not a Wahoo user, so I'm mostly going on what you said in this thread, but if the Bolt requires the app to scan and register the QR code to pair, and if the app relies on a connection to their service to validate the QR code, then it's possible your spotty connection to the internet is causing issues. Can you put your phone on Wifi and try everything when you're positive you're getting internet access?

I thought this. Just went back to the Big V as a carrier, phone is back to running as usual. No different. Connected to WiFi.

wipe/rebuild your S7's boot cache.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28028

I'll try this. I assume it's the same for any S7 (I'll double check, though)?

Is your Bluetooth on your phone working? Is the app allowed to use your camera?

Yes & yes. The scanner works fine in other apps.

jfranci3
05-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Ride summary on unit:
209np
222avg power over 3 hours on my last ride.
NP higher than avg? I'm good for 190w over 1hr. Noticed w numbers lingering on screen during 0 cadence (800w for 10sec at 0 cadence) :rolleyes:

It looks like they re-platformed the whole backend stack, so I assume we'll see a few more bumps in the road. The upload to Strava failed at home. Did a manual upload to Strava and got good data. It's interesting that my unit recorded data correctly, but didn't display it correctly.

I've been using my Bolt for the past 2 years and this is the only bad software update I've had. In fact, I just sold my Bolt, tried a Garmin 130 , returned it, and bought another Bolt. It's like they didn't even test with a power meter at all, nor did they test Strava uploads - which is a good bit of their customer base.

gospastic
05-08-2019, 11:29 AM
The last firmware update seems to have really messed things up. I'm getting frequent freezes now. Completed rides aren't syncing automatically. Very annoying.

unterhausen
05-08-2019, 11:51 AM
I think I would ask support how to revert both the app and firmware. They usually have that available

makoti
05-09-2019, 05:27 PM
Solved!
Problem was simply...I'm old.

I AM old, so the font on my phone is a little on the large size. That meant that the QR reader was a narrow rectangle instead of a square. I tried a friends S7, and his worked, but his scanner looked a bit larger (but still a rectangle). Brainstorming...font size?
So, I took all the screen sizes to smallest possible (fonts & screen size). The scanner became larger & a square, and paring worked.
Unreal how these things work sometimes. So, if you ever hear of pairing woes, check the font size & try again.