PDA

View Full Version : Gumby style Veloce /Centaur 10 Ultra vs Powershift

paredown
05-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Still trying to get clear about this:

1. First version 2009 gumby hood Centaur 10 (silver or carbon) and first version Veloce (black, old lettering) were released as Ultrashift. These are the rare/hard to find version;

2. Second version changed to Powershift for both; at some point Centaur logo and Veloce logo on brake blade changed.

3. No internal parts available but you can buy replacement bodies in either Powershift or Ultrashift with either black or silver shift lever. These are identical internals.

Additional--and questions:

1. The first Ultrashift Centaurs had soft shifting; kit to remedy this is NLA (no longer available). Running changes solved this problem, and I'm assuming the replacement bodies in distribution have the newer internals with more positive shifting;

Is there any kludges/fixes for a body that has soft shifting by taking the body apart and replacing something?

Can you modify the cable spool (thought to be part of the problem) or change/adjust the detent mechanism?

2. Is there any difference between the Left shifter in the Ultrashift vs Powershift versions?

3. Did the logo change on the brake blade coincide with the change from Ultrashift to Powershift for Centaur and Veloce?

raisinberry777
05-06-2019, 06:31 PM
There's three types of 10 speed Ergopower v3 levers.

Type 1: 2009-2010 (Ultrashift)

These levers have the Ultrashift mechanism. These operate the same as their 2009-2010 Super Record/Record/Chorus 11 speed counterparts, except for being 10 speed. The easiest way to identify them is the logos - they are the same as their v2 counterparts.

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-1rmgckn/products/4326/images/46025/TSR_Watermark_-_7406__00522.1464816460.700.950.JPG?c=2

https://static.evanscycles.com/production/components/shifters/product-image/484-319/campagnolo-centaur-carbon-10-speed-ultra-shift-ergopower-00102298-9999-1.jpg

Type 2: 2011-2014 (Powershift v1)

These levers have the Powershift mechanism, with one shift down (harder)/multiple shifts up on the right lever. On the left lever, it changes to a three position lever rather than the micro-ratcheting ultrashift. These are identified by the new logos, and the thumb lever sitting at a right angle to the lever.

For the left lever, the three index positions are moved by pushing the finger lever in a similar manner as you would with an Ultrashift lever. On the thumb shifter, it moves down one position when the lever is pushed down, another when the lever is released, and once more when the lever is pushed down again.

https://static.evanscycles.com/production/components/shifters/product-image/Original/campagnolo-veloce-power-shift-10-speed-ergo-shifters-silver-EV243203-7500-2.jpg

https://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360062563/campy-centaur-levers-red.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Type 3: 2015-present (Powershift v2, Veloce only)

Centaur was dropped for 2015, so the current levers 10 speed Powershift levers are Veloce only. Powershift v2 operates the same as v1, but with a change in lever ergonomics. The thumb lever changes to a droopy lever in a similar position to the EPS thumb levers.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1120x840/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/p/cpb332d_01.jpg

oldpotatoe
05-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Paragraph 1, section 3....Ultrashift ARE rebuildable, and parts ARE available from the few of us who cannibalizes the levers BUT unlike 2008 and older ERGO, no springs and carriers and such to break or wear out. BUT I have all the innards for levers 1992-2018, left and right.

For soft shifting 2009 10s levers, yes the ‘kit’ is NLA(it was deeper ‘valleys’ in the actual shift disc) but you can get crisper shifter some by adding shim(s) or by adding one of those concave notched discs.

For 2019-SR/Record/Chorus is Ultrashift, Potenza and Centaur are 11s and ‘Powershift’...

zmudshark
05-06-2019, 07:43 PM
My first modern shifters were 10s Centaur soft shift. I like them. I can see why the more positive shift is preferred by most, but coming from dt shifters, I appreciated the soft touch.

They work fine.

Ralph
05-06-2019, 08:42 PM
And....I think too much is made of the difference between Ultra Shift and Power Shift. I have some 2010 10 speed Centaur Ultra on one bike, and Centaur 10's triple 2011 Power shift on another. And I don't prefer one over the other. They both shift great!

A couple days ago, I discovered I had bought (and forgot about) a pair of Veloce 10's Power shift with silver brake levers....and the droopy shift button/lever. Some day, gonna put those on something. Supposedly, they have some improvements.

Bostic
05-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Can some one post (or help me find) a video of current droopy thumb Potenza or Centaur shifting in action for the front and rear on a bike in a stand? I’ve seen in person Super Record and I personally had the first generation 10 speed Gumby.

paredown
05-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Thanks all. The pictures helped a lot! I'm kind of regretting dumping my Veloce Black Ultras--but still trying to decide if I can live with the silver Centaur Ultras with the soft shifting...

I'm also trying to decide if I want to pick up some more parts while I can still find them.

macaroon
05-07-2019, 08:26 AM
You can't buy the shift disc anywhere, but the lever bodies are still available and they don't cost a great deal. You'd need to fit a brake lever blade, bar clamp and hood though.

The lever bodies with the upgraded internals are actually a slightly different shape to the soft shifting ones though (I found it made fitting them to the bars a bit trickier). Think it's just the area where the bar sits is a slightly different shape.

The cable spool on the first generation levers is also pretty poor; it's white plastic and doesn't hold the cable properly. These were changed to a black plastic one on the later levers. These are available (although hard to find) so one of these may improve the shifts enough for you.

The "axle" that goes through the middle of the levers runs on plastic bushings, but at some point they switched the bushings to bearings instead. Don't think this coincided with the shift disc upgrade though, as I've got a spare right hand lever with the soft shifting and the bearings.

oldpotatoe
05-07-2019, 08:47 AM
You can't buy the shift disc anywhere, but the lever bodies are still available and they don't cost a great deal. You'd need to fit a brake lever blade, bar clamp and hood though.

The lever bodies with the upgraded internals are actually a slightly different shape to the soft shifting ones though (I found it made fitting them to the bars a bit trickier). Think it's just the area where the bar sits is a slightly different shape.

The cable spool on the first generation levers is also pretty poor; it's white plastic and doesn't hold the cable properly. These were changed to a black plastic one on the later levers. These are available (although hard to find) so one of these may improve the shifts enough for you.

The "axle" that goes through the middle of the levers runs on plastic bushings, but at some point they switched the bushings to bearings instead. Don't think this coincided with the shift disc upgrade though, as I've got a spare right hand lever with the soft shifting and the bearings.

-Not really true..you talking about the 'upgrade' kit? I have clickier 10s stuff.

-Mostly the edge was dragging on the inside of the lever body..as an aside, the '2015+' spools are white..

-Don' think so..either a brass bushing or bearings..been inside a lot of these, never saw a plastic bushing, Ultrashift.

macaroon
05-07-2019, 09:06 AM
-Not really true..you talking about the 'upgrade' kit? I have clickier 10s stuff.

-Mostly the edge was dragging on the inside of the lever body..as an aside, the '2015+' spools are white..

-Don' think so..either a brass bushing or bearings..been inside a lot of these, never saw a plastic bushing, Ultrashift.

You can see the beige/yellow plastic bushing in the pic below. 10 speed Centaur FWIW (same as the OP's lever). At least one of my Veloce levers is the same.

You can also see the (grubby) white plastic cable spool, the black one (shown separately) holds the cable more securely.