PDA

View Full Version : Facilitation help in Montréal, Québec, Canada?

mikemowbz
05-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Hello Paceliners.

First off - mods please feel free to delete or move if this is either inappropriate or posted in the wrong place.

I am reaching out here to see if any esteemed member may be able to assist in purchase of bicycle frame in Montréal, Québec, Canada this week. Older hand-built steel frame, picture and seller description seem to indicate no issues beyond normal chips and marks from regular use.

I am located in Vancouver, BC, and the seller - quite reasonably, to his credit - has suggested repeatedly that he would be most comfortable if someone who knows bikes could inspect the frame set. Otherwise, I had suggested that my cousin in town (who does not know bikes) could take care of it.

Seller has indicated that he's quite flexible to meet in a public location in downtown Montréal most days in the morning or around noon...

I could even arrange it so that the only 'duty' volunteered would be a brief inspection of the frame - as I could have my cousin meet with $ and take the frame home to have shipped to me, to make demands on any 'facilitator' as minimal as possible.

PM or email if you are local and might be willing to help.

rePhil
05-06-2019, 01:53 PM
How about a compromise and have your cousin FaceTime or Skype you while doing an inspection?
That still leaves the shipping issue, but thee frame would be yours.

zennmotion
05-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Marinoni? :banana:

This seems like a lot of fuss for a used steel frame- a certain amount of trust and risk comes with any long distance purchase, but assuming you already have a good set of pics and asked the obvious questions about rust and dents, you should be good to go. It doesn't take much expertise to stick a finger in the BB shell for rust and a quick visual for bubbled paint and cracks at the lugs- otherwise things like dropout alignment aren't possible to see without tools anyway, and in any case can be corrected with steel. Why would the seller be so nervous if you state your acceptance of the purchase "as is" and you also take responsibility for the shipping via your cousin? In fact, the seller's unusual reluctance might make me a little nervous- what's going on with the frame that s/he is so concerned about being able to make a post-sale solid case for--"but it was inspected by an expert"? Unless this is a super high value sale the seller seems odd- Craigslist seems to bring out the flakes. Just tell the seller that your cousin is fully deputized, and you accept the risk, and- geez.

mikemowbz
05-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Marinoni? :banana:

This seems like a lot of fuss for a used steel frame- a certain amount of trust and risk comes with any long distance purchase, but assuming you already have a good set of pics and asked the obvious questions about rust and dents, you should be good to go. It doesn't take much expertise to stick a finger in the BB shell for rust and a quick visual for bubbled paint and cracks at the lugs- otherwise things like dropout alignment aren't possible to see without tools anyway, and in any case can be corrected with steel. Why would the seller be so nervous if you state your acceptance of the purchase "as is" and you also take responsibility for the shipping via your cousin? In fact, the seller's unusual reluctance might make me a little nervous- what's going on with the frame that s/he is so concerned about being able to make a post-sale solid case for--"but it was inspected by an expert"? Unless this is a super high value sale the seller seems odd- Craigslist seems to bring out the flakes. Just tell the seller that your cousin is fully deputized, and you accept the risk, and- geez.

I have thought, and done, all of that. I keep getting - "well, I'd really feel a lot better..." after suggesting a couple of times that I've done this before, assume private-sale scenarios to entail both a bit of trust and a bit of risk (which I accept), don't expect to be making any returns on an in-person cash sale, etc. It's not really a lot of money, in my view, and I was honestly not worried about it...

As you suggest, the insistence that it *needs* to be inspected when I've asked all of the requisite questions - assured no dents, dings, thread or alignment issues, no cracks, no rust, etc. - and confirmed sizing in detail - actually makes me a little wary. But it seems like it may come from a sincere place...peace of mind, ensure everyone is truly happy...which is why I figured I'd see if anyone here has 15 minutes to spare.

I've done similar myself for others: inspect a bike in person when a seller is willing to ship but buyer wants to confirm description/details. Worth a shot.

Bike is not a Marinoni, but rather a more obscure Québec maker (frame set actually painted in Marinoni's shop, though). Unusual tube set. Cool bike, high on my list as someone who digs stuff by small Canadian and Québec builders.

rePhil
05-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Ryffranck ?

veggieburger
05-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Yes, please share...what kinda bike is it?

zennmotion
05-07-2019, 02:09 PM
it seems like it may come from a sincere place...peace of mind, ensure everyone is truly happy...which is why I figured I'd see if anyone here has 15 minutes to spare.

Err, the BS approach is a possibility-- just give your cousin a couple phrases to lend street cred "the trail measure on these bikes is what makes them ride so well" or something about torsionally stiff vertically compliant, or some garbage about the tubing "9-6-9 is a sweet choice when matched with the butted zone that's perfect for these lugs". The seller has no idea who your cousin is. I can guarantee that once the meeting is arranged in a public place, momentum is on your side and the seller will go home with cash, happy to have the thing off the to-do list...

Fake til you make it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYSG8AQO3tw

mikemowbz
05-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Ryffranck ?

Yes, please share...what kinda bike is it?

Desmarais, built with Columbus MS. Pretty unique bike.

I own an EL OS Ryffranck and an SP Marinoni special. An older (1970s or very early 80s) Marinoni and an interesting Desmarais with have been on my list for some time.

mikemowbz
05-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Err, the BS approach is a possibility-- just give your cousin a couple phrases to lend street cred "the trail measure on these bikes is what makes them ride so well" or something about torsionally stiff vertically compliant, or some garbage about the tubing "9-6-9 is a sweet choice when matched with the butted zone that's perfect for these lugs". The seller has no idea who your cousin is. I can guarantee that once the meeting is arranged in a public place, momentum is on your side and the seller will go home with cash, happy to have the thing off the to-do list...

Fake til you make it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYSG8AQO3tw

Ha!