PDA

View Full Version : Sad news - Della Santa

jamesdak
05-04-2019, 11:10 PM
It's being reported that Roland Della Santa passed away tonight. Another legend is gone....

FlashUNC
05-04-2019, 11:18 PM
Sounds like the news coming out is accurate.

Just gutted to hear this. Godspeed.

gasman
05-04-2019, 11:34 PM
That's really sad to hear. I met him briefly at the Sacto show-what a gentleman.

Condolences to his family and friends.

xnetter
05-04-2019, 11:37 PM
Oh no! Awful news. Never met the man but his reputation as a class act preceded him.

I may have to take out my DS tomorrow on a pour-one-out send-off ride. RIP Roland.

KJ

David Kirk
05-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Now that sucks.

I had the privilege to meet him a few times and got such a good feeling from him.

dave

ronlau
05-04-2019, 11:52 PM
It's being reported that Roland Della Santa passed away tonight. Another legend is gone....

RIP Roland. I am glad I had the chance to talk to you for hours and heard so many of your stories.

Last time we met we had a good talk and laughs, I am glad we had those time together.

Godspeed my friend, keep riding tubulars, Campagnolo Record and drive your Porsche fast.

Ron

ronlau
05-04-2019, 11:54 PM
RIP Roland. I am glad I had the chance to talk to you for hours and heard so many of your stories.

Last time we met we had a good talk and laughs, I am glad we had those time together.

Godspeed my friend, keep using Campagnolo Record and drive your Porsche fast.

Ron

When Dario passed, I got this out and repaint it.

Per Roland request, Campagnolo Chours 11.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=235098

Blue Jays
05-05-2019, 12:07 AM
Damn it. :(
Such unfortunate news to read.

54ny77
05-05-2019, 01:54 AM
Damn damn damn damn damn.

I've had a frame in his queue for several years now, kept putting it off and lately thinking I need to get around to finishing it before Roland hangs up the torch. That opportunity is gone.

He was such a terrific individual. This saddens me greatly to hear of his passing, in part because I lost the opportunity to have a special frame crafted by him which I intended to treasure forever (there's a very emotional connection with when I first got in the queue, and that's partly why I kept delaying it; he always graciously said just give a shout whenever I wanted to get started), and in part because of the loss to his family & friends and the cycling community at large. We have lost one of the best framebuilders in the country. So much history there.

I've had occasion to have some lengthy chats with him over the years and relished all of them. He gladly gave time on the phone to share philosophies, share stories of mutual friends, and in speaking of his craft.

My condolences to family and friends worldwide. It is a big loss.

Roland, godspeed my friend. And yes, of course I intended to have an Italian threaded BB!

merckx
05-05-2019, 05:36 AM
Oh, boy, this is gutting news. I've had several conversations with Roland in recent years. He was never at a loss to tell a good story or three. He built a classic Corsa for me that was a real stomper. I loved leaning on the pedals while leveraging that machine.

rwsaunders
05-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Respects to his family and friends and you never read a bad word about Roland...quite a fellow from the stories that you hear from people who have dealt with him over the years.

pbarry
05-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Where are you hearing about Roland?

Mike V
05-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Where are you hearing about Roland?

I saw something on Della Santa Facebook page.

gomango
05-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Respects to his family and friends and you never read a bad word about Roland...quite a fellow from the stories that you hear from people who have dealt with him over the years.

Yes, always approachable at NAHBS.

I talked to him on several occasions about building a canti version of the Corsa. I mentioned fender eyelets and I'll never forget the pained expression on his face.

I ended up buying a road frameset from rwsaunders, but had recently (early fall) called Roland about another build.

I will definitely miss Roland, but I am very appreciative of the RDS bike I currently own.

weisan
05-05-2019, 01:55 PM
NAHBS, March, Sacramento

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/03/28/PREN/c73abda3-0a76-45ba-bbf1-c30901151b7e-Edited_NAHBS_Della_Santa.jpg?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp

ctcyclistbob
05-05-2019, 02:00 PM
RIP Roland ... you were a true gentleman.

choke
05-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Dayum.

I spent maybe 20 minutes talking to him at NAHBS. In that brief time I really came to like him, he was a character and had me laughing hard a few times. I was seriously considering having him build a frame for me after our conversation.

Riposa in pace Roland.

parris
05-05-2019, 09:46 PM
RIP. My wife and I met Roland when we were on our honeymoon 25 years ago. She's got family and friends in Reno the friends that we stayed with were friends of his.

Fivethumbs
05-06-2019, 02:22 AM
Roland was a one of a kind guy. He made me a couple of frame sets, the first about ten years ago. Back then he had a P.O box and you mailed him a letter telling him you were interested in a frame. Then you waited for a phone call. When he called me we ended up talking for well over an hour. Actually every phone call we had lasted over an hour. He had all kinds of stories about Lemond and Hinault and bike building and racing. He only asked me for three measurements - seat tube length, top tube length, and set-back (either in inches or degrees). I asked about a down payment and he said that when my frame set was finished he'd call me. Then when it was done he called me. I expected him to tell me to send him a check before he shipped the frame set but instead he said "when you receive it just send me a check." Yes, that's right, I did not pay one cent until after I received the finished frame set and that's the way Roland wanted it. I was blown away. Both frame sets were fantastic in every respect. When I built each one of them up everything went together perfectly. The bikes handled great and tracked perfectly straight. The world has lost a true artist and gentleman.

redir
05-06-2019, 08:16 AM
That's too bad. I've always lusted over his bikes. He was a huge influence on 3 time Tour De France winner Greg Lemond too.

bheight1
05-06-2019, 08:33 AM
So sorry to hear this news. As has been said by so many, a simple friendly man that just built fabulous frames. This Corsa remains the oldest frame in my stable and will continue to be ridden regularly, as it rides perfectly!

fiamme red
05-06-2019, 07:23 PM
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2019/05/06/framebuilder-roland-della-santa-dies#.XNDPjuhKi70

homagesilkhope
05-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Roland was a good soul. RIP.

sw3759
05-06-2019, 10:46 PM
I was really crushed when I heard the news about Roland.my experience with Roland was much like Fivethumbs.i only have the 1 Corsa but he built me another fork a couple of years ago,just wanted a flat crown threadless for kind of an update to the threaded sloping he built originally,he had mentioned he was having health issues due mainly to being a bit overweight I think,but the recent photo from NHABS appears he had gotten his weight back down.i'll always cherish the frameset he built for me.

God speed Roland

https://reno-rambler.blogspot.com/2019/05/rip-roland-della-santa.html#!/

weaponsgrade
05-07-2019, 12:28 AM
I met him at his "shop" in Reno many years ago to get fitted for a frame. I was there the whole afternoon. He gave me a tour of his shop, the history of the various jigs and tools, and recounted stories from back in the day. I recently sold that frame to get something with discs (yes, I know - the horror) and now I kinda wish I still had it. He had a good run.

dgauthier
05-07-2019, 03:06 AM
Roland was a one of a kind guy. He made me a couple of frame sets, the first about ten years ago. Back then he had a P.O box and you mailed him a letter telling him you were interested in a frame. Then you waited for a phone call. When he called me we ended up talking for well over an hour. Actually every phone call we had lasted over an hour. He had all kinds of stories about Lemond and Hinault and bike building and racing. He only asked me for three measurements - seat tube length, top tube length, and set-back (either in inches or degrees). I asked about a down payment and he said that when my frame set was finished he'd call me. Then when it was done he called me. I expected him to tell me to send him a check before he shipped the frame set but instead he said "when you receive it just send me a check." Yes, that's right, I did not pay one cent until after I received the finished frame set and that's the way Roland wanted it. I was blown away. Both frame sets were fantastic in every respect. When I built each one of them up everything went together perfectly. The bikes handled great and tracked perfectly straight. The world has lost a true artist and gentleman.

I must confess to not knowing that much about Della Santa. I'd expect he'd be as facinating as any frame builder would be (they generally are), but your description is simply unheard of. Imagine how comfortable he must have been with his own abilities to get to that point. May we all be fortunate enough to be a little like him some day.

FlashUNC
05-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Definitely taking this out this weekend if weather permits. Or maybe even if weather doesn't permit. Roland never did want folks babying his bikes.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1545/25073669085_7e21bba612_o.jpg

crankles
05-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Definitely taking this out this weekend if weather permits. Or maybe even if weather doesn't permit. Roland never did want folks babying his bikes.

Yikes that's nice. That needs to see more sun... and rain...and potholed descents down Claremont. Roland would be pleased to see a few scratches on that thing.

FlashUNC
05-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Yikes that's nice. That needs to see more sun... and rain...and potholed descents down Claremont. Roland would be pleased to see a few scratches on that thing.

Oh its certainly got them -- team AC does wonders with their photography -- but a few more scratches wouldn't hurt the character.

54ny77
05-08-2019, 02:23 AM
This thread is a treasure.

Those of us who've had the pleasure of interacting with Roland have all experienced the same thing.

What a gem of a man. So sad he's no longer with us.

Pls. post up some pics of your DS. :banana: :cool:

(Flash your blue rig is sweet. Who did the stem?)

jemdet
05-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Those chainstays, geez that's nice. That stem is amazing too - did Roland make it?

FlashUNC
05-08-2019, 08:55 AM
The stem is Eric Estlund at Winter Bicycles.

If you need a stem, he's your guy.

ronlau
05-08-2019, 11:33 AM
To all,

I want to preserve this little gem from Roland's web site.

Ron

https://www.dellasanta.com/build

What You Can Get

A beautifully made all-steel lugged frame and fork.
A frameset that fits either modern or vintage components, preferably Campagnolo.
A frame that fits you just right, designed around a traditional racing format and rider position.
Hand-filed lugs and tightly brazed joints, all highlighted by a tasteful paint job and Della Santa decals.
A frameset at a reasonable price, delivered in a timely manner.
Racing stories, rider stories, old Navy stories, old Reno stories, Old Reno Italian stories…

What You Can’t Get

A frame made from carbon, aluminum, titanium, bamboo, whalebone, etc.
Sorry, but Della Santas don’t accommodate disc brakes, aftermarket forks or larger diameter tubing.
A huge headtube extension, sky-high handlebars, whacky frame angles.
Your own custom-made graphics, lugs filed into flames, an airbrushed scene of a nude girl riding a dragon.
Overpricing, chip-on-the-shoulder attitude or anything resembling artisanal blather.
Off the phone or out of the shop in less than 1 hour

donevwil
05-08-2019, 11:42 AM
To all,

I want to preserve this little gem from Roland's web site.

Ron

https://www.dellasanta.com/build

What You Can Get

A beautifully made all-steel lugged frame and fork.
A frameset that fits either modern or vintage components, preferably Campagnolo.
A frame that fits you just right, designed around a traditional racing format and rider position.
Hand-filed lugs and tightly brazed joints, all highlighted by a tasteful paint job and Della Santa decals.
A frameset at a reasonable price, delivered in a timely manner.
Racing stories, rider stories, old Navy stories, old Reno stories, Old Reno Italian stories…

What You Can’t Get

A frame made from carbon, aluminum, titanium, bamboo, whalebone, etc.
Sorry, but Della Santas don’t accommodate disc brakes, aftermarket forks or larger diameter tubing.
A huge headtube extension, sky-high handlebars, whacky frame angles.
Your own custom-made graphics, lugs filed into flames, an airbrushed scene of a nude girl riding a dragon.
Overpricing, chip-on-the-shoulder attitude or anything resembling artisanal blather.
Off the phone or out of the shop in less than 1 hour

Phenomenal, thanks for posting.

FlashUNC
05-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Even that bit is new, as the new web presence just launched earlier this year. Typically it'd just been one image with an email address (checked by his buddy Coot), a PO box for mail and a phone number to call.

When I was working with Roland for the geo on my bike, he mailed me the chart for sign off. Our first conversation, he spent more time telling me what he wouldn't do than what he would. He knew what he wanted to build, and if you wanted something else, go somewhere else.

PoppaWheelie
05-08-2019, 11:52 AM
I got mine from the tip that Charles posted a few months ago...rides wonderfully. I had the flu when NAHBS came to town and missed the chance to speak with Roland....but we had a phone call a few weeks ago. He picked up out of the blue and talked to me for almost an hour. Super sad...

bfd
05-08-2019, 12:04 PM
This thread is a treasure.

Pls. post up some pics of your DS. :banana: :cool:

(Flash your blue rig is sweet. Who did the stem?)

I would post pics of my DS, but I can't seem to figure out how to post. My picture is on my computer and I don't have a url for it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

rwsaunders
05-08-2019, 12:12 PM
bfd...send me an email and I'll post it for you.

Joe...don't forget that you promised to send your DS to me on a lend/lease program. You can hang onto the Hyperons and EE brakes though, as it rains too much around here and I don't want to ruin the brake tracks.

mhespenheide
05-08-2019, 12:41 PM
I never worked with Roland; I didn't know he had any health issues. But he was the frontrunner for a custom frame I was planning on buying myself for my 50th birthday, a few years from now. I was distinctly looking forwards to driving up to Reno to meet with him and work with him.

Godspeed, Roland. You will be missed.

rwsaunders
05-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Here is a pic of my DS

https://i.imgur.com/ioFU2rUl.jpg

FlashUNC
05-08-2019, 05:56 PM
bfd...send me an email and I'll post it for you.

Joe...don't forget that you promised to send your DS to me on a lend/lease program. You can hang onto the Hyperons and EE brakes though, as it rains too much around here and I don't want to ruin the brake tracks.

If you're ever out this way, it's yours to take out for a spin or three.

bfd
05-09-2019, 11:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/ioFU2rUl.jpg

Thanks to RW, I now know how to post a picture to this forum!

But I do have a story about DS. About 3 years ago I wanted one built one up with Sram etap 11. I tried ordering through my LBS, but he was having trouble with DS. So I waited and finally decided to call him direct. When I asked about my order and told him I wanted basically a track frame with RD hanger and internal brake cables and that I would put on etap, he said NO! He then started talking about building a frame for Mavic Zap and how that failed and he had to add shifter bosses and stuff. He obviously didn't have any faith in etap. So I passed and didn't get a frameset from him. :(

Then about a year later I found this excellent DS frameset with CK headset for cheap! Of course, I had to buy it and I put on proper Campy Chorus 11 mechanical. The bike rides amazing well. Maybe the best way to describe it is the bike is "springy." Just the right amount of flex to smooth out the road, but when I stand on it, no flex so all the power goes to the wheels! Or at least that's what I feel....So I feel lucky to have been able to sample some of the Roland's magic.

Btw, here's a link to a nice write up:

http://www.handbuiltbicyclenews.com/c26-frame-builders/387-roland-della-santa-1946---2019

Good Luck!

rwsaunders
05-09-2019, 06:23 PM
If you're ever out this way, it's yours to take out for a spin or three.

I’m scheming now Joe.

bikingshearer
05-09-2019, 08:09 PM
I saw Roland at a few NAHBS shows dating back to the last one in San Jose - bought a DS cap and had him autograph it for me at that one (I still have it, still in unworn condition). He seemed amused and bemused that anyone would want that, but he did it cheerfully. I only had brief chats with him at the shows because I knew I was not in the market and I did not want to take him away from potential paying customers, but he certainly never hustled me along. I bought a couple DS water bottles at this year's NAHBS; I'm glad I did.

For all of you who knew him, my sincere condolences. The bike world lost a special builder; you people lost a friend. :(

And @FlashUNC, I saw you on that beautiful DS not long after you first moved to the Democratic People's Republic. I'm big, slow and old, and I was trudging up on Old Tunnel - I think I was on my blue Ron Cooper and may have been wearing my Della Santa wool jersey. You slowed down to match my snail-like pace and we chatted a bit, beautiful blue bike owner to beautiful blue bike owner. That DS was stunning, and the time with you was fun. (The subject of Peter Sagan never came up. :p) I remember how pleased you were that you had been able to stop at Roland's shop during your move out from the Tarheel state; the respect and connection you felt were palpable and it was a real pleasure to experience. Enjoy that rig as an ongoing memory of your friend.

fiamme red
05-09-2019, 08:24 PM
The Pull: http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/05/the-pull-remembering-roland-della-santa/.

This article has been updated with quotes from Greg LeMond and Dannie Nall: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2019/05/06/framebuilder-roland-della-santa-dies#.XNTSV45Ki70.

metalheart
05-09-2019, 08:47 PM
I bought my first adult bike in 1987-88, a Lemond Team Pro in pearl white I rode the hell out of it for a few years until life took over and it sat in the garage until I sold it. As I returned to cycling I learned that the Lemond Team Pro of that vintage was made by Roland. When I knew that and knew about Roland, I was sad that bike passed on from my life.

The first NAHBS I attended I asked him about those bikes and he just gave me a big smile and said something like ' some of those were very good work.' At the second NAHBS I attended we talked a bit and I reminded him on my Lemond and that resulted in a few stories. And, at this last NAHBS I stoped at his booth and just said, :Lemond Team Pro" and he said, "Oh, I remember you."

I always admired his graciousness, his style, the heart he put into his work. RIP.

54ny77
05-09-2019, 11:22 PM
FYI if you were in contact with the DS workshop at some point, send an email to Coot. He'll pass along any kind words.

osbk67
05-13-2019, 05:30 AM
So sorry to hear this news. As has been said by so many, a simple friendly man that just built fabulous frames. This Corsa remains the oldest frame in my stable and will continue to be ridden regularly, as it rides perfectly!

That is simply a fantastic-looking racing bike. Outstanding colour scheme.

fiamme red
06-07-2019, 03:37 PM
https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/features/rest-in-peace-roland-della-santa/

FlashUNC
06-07-2019, 07:38 PM

404'd.

Keith A
06-07-2019, 09:54 PM
404'd.Didn't work for me either, but here is a cached version...
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:GsNEvJb9GXIJ:https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/features/rest-in-peace-roland-della-santa/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-d

thwart
06-08-2019, 07:34 AM
Here's the original Pez post, with the video of Roland (not sure why it briefly 'disappeared'):

elcolombiano
06-09-2019, 06:16 PM
I met him at the show in Salt Lake City a few years back. Talked to him for a while. Real nice guy. I wanted to have him build me a frame. I waited to long. Sad to see he has passed.