PDA

View Full Version : Even lower gravel bike gearing

dem
05-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Headed to do the full Mauna Kea in July (assuming no injuries an losing 10 pounds) so I figured I'd see if I could get a 44T on there.

Full wolftooth combination: 44T cog, Tanpan MTB travel agent to use road shifters, Goatlink for larger cog clearance.

44/28 crankset with 10-44T cassette.

http://www.haphazard.com/bikes/may2019/wolfpartssm.jpg

http://www.haphazard.com/bikes/may2019/wolftrainsm.jpg

XXtwindad
05-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Cool!

d_douglas
05-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Perfect! Those XTR cranks are just excellent looking...

farmerjosh
05-05-2019, 08:36 AM
That's wild!

NHAero
05-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Love it!
When the 42 wore out on my 10-42 on my MTB I replaced with a 44T Origin8. It's a 1x11 with SRAM XX1. I notice that the shift down from the 44 to the next lowest cog is a tiny bit hesitant vs. the 42T.

It's great to know that set-up you're using works. I'm running an 11-40 with the Ultegra R8000GS RD and a Roadlink DM, and RS685 shifters on my Litespeed. Running 42-28 in front, which is 43T of total differential and the R8000 is rated at 39T, but no issue because it's set up almost as a 1x with a bailout, so the 28T in front is only used to the middle of the cassette. Wolftooth says it's optimized for 11-36 through 11-42, and will work on 10-42 but not as well as factory levels - interesting this last bit.

What shifters are you using?

dem
05-05-2019, 10:55 AM
In my brief test ride, the 44 jump is definitely more hesitant going up (it is not nearly as machined as the SRAM 42, which has ramps on every tooth.. the Wolftooth only has 4(?) ramps machined into it.)

Putting on new tires today, so assuming I get those done I'll take it out for a longer test ride. :)

I'm also using the RS685 shifters.

zennmotion
05-05-2019, 01:35 PM
I'm fascinated by these beyond-spec gearing solutions with aftermarket adapters and component mixes. I do wonder though about "real world" conditions, such as tunnel vision shifting at hour 4+ on a steep hill, a little grit mixed into the drivetrain, less-than-perfect alignment with any number of pieces etc. In my experience, what works in the workstand, or on the short test ride sometimes goes off, or very badly (e.g., derailleur into the spokes :eek:) when it counts most with a perfect storm of adverse conditions. I've had a number of CX races and a bucket-list overseas adventure ride ruined by stuff like this that worked fine on multiple rides, until it didn't. Sometimes finishing the ride with an unbroken bika> having the crazy wide gears to ride every steepest hill. At some point it seems like it would be better to walk- and ability to grind rather than spin is not a completely useless skill, it's getting forgotten with modern gears. I'm often shocked at the times single speeders do in adventure events compared with geared bikes.

Stevemikesteve
05-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Yessiree. Just ordered parts a couple days ago to convert my 1x to 2x with 44/28 crank and will keep the 11 speed 11-42 cassette on there. Rival 22 shifters with 10 speed Gx long cage rd.

dem
05-05-2019, 03:02 PM
I had 6000 miles on the previous 44/28 + 10-42 combination, probably 80% of those miles in abusive ridiculous conditions. It has done Death Valley, Pike's Peak, and all sorts of off road nonsense. :)

I also destroy brake pads every 500 miles and rotors every 2000. I put a 180 on the front now, that seems to be helping.

Just did a longer shake down on the 10-44 and it seems to work pretty well - it's definitely slower with the big jump, but no issues shifting into it on 25% dirt grades so far, and the rest of the combinations seem to shift the same.

tony_mm
05-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Yessiree. Just ordered parts a couple days ago to convert my 1x to 2x with 44/28 crank and will keep the 11 speed 11-42 cassette on there. Rival 22 shifters with 10 speed Gx long cage rd.

What was your 1x gearing ?
And why from 1x to 2x? (Trying to figure out what I would need myself...)

Stevemikesteve
05-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Mainly because 1x for camping was tough for me. I knew it would be but had a tad bit of 1x intrigue nonetheless. Mine is a 42 crank and that 11-42 cassette I mentioned (Sram). I've had the bike about 6 months now and bought it complete (kona rove st which I am loving). I camped on it a few weeks ago for it's first time. 1x is decent but not ideal for me. I bought the bike as my A1 daily driver (longish rides, riding to work, locking up at grocery store, everything) and to camp every so often to replace my current 700c rig. 1x is too much of a struggle for me on a loaded bike if it's hilly. Going to a 40t or 38t chainring is an option but it wouldn't be enough for me. Not to mention spinning out even more than I already am on descents.

tony_mm
05-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback!
I suppose I would like a 1x (it just sounds interesting and it looks good) but my brain says 2x would be better...LOL

Bostic
05-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Has anyone here done the Mauna Kea climb? It's another bucket list item for me. Last year on vacation in Colorado my wife and I drove up both Mt. Evans and Pikes Peak. I've been to 10k elevation plenty of times including the ride up Haleakala but 14k up I was definitely feeling the altitude.

A cyclist I used to ride with from time to time did the climb up Mauna Kea on a standard road bike with 700x25c tires and said the dirt section was absolutely horrible. He also didn't descent back down.

dgauthier
05-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Perfect! Those XTR cranks are just excellent looking...

The rest of the bike looks rather handsome too. Dem, may I ask you to post some pictures of the whole bike?

Have a great time on the islands!

muz
05-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Has anyone here done the Mauna Kea climb? It's another bucket list item for me. Last year on vacation in Colorado my wife and I drove up both Mt. Evans and Pikes Peak. I've been to 10k elevation plenty of times including the ride up Haleakala but 14k up I was definitely feeling the altitude.

A cyclist I used to ride with from time to time did the climb up Mauna Kea on a standard road bike with 700x25c tires and said the dirt section was absolutely horrible. He also didn't descent back down.

I went up there planning to ride to the top, but turned back shortly after the visitors center. Very fine powder like volcanic ash and steep pitches, be prepared to walk unless on a mountain bike. I was fishtailing up the grade, did not want to risk descending it, so turned back.

BTW, one person who did the ride says the 4K to the top took as long as the 10K to the visitors center.

dem
05-06-2019, 01:27 PM
I've gone to the Mauna Kea visitor center (9000 feet) from the coast, and Mauna Loa (0-11000), as well as Haleakala (and Pike's peak, and Mt Evans, and various others.)

The full MK is definitely another level, some good write-ups on this site:
https://pjammcycling.com/climb/1.Mauna-Kea

For me of the climbs I've done, Pike's peak has been subjectively the most difficult. Above 12,000 feet, the air just gets really thin. Top of Pike's is roughly 10% grades.. MK is 10-20% in parts, plus that nasty dirt section. :)

Our strategy is going to be to soft pedal as much as possible until the access road turn off, stay well fed and hydrated, then grovel to the top.

Rest of the bike (generic China frameset + lightbicycle carbon wheelset) and my wildly outdated blog URL :)

http://haphazard.com/bikes/may2019/fullsidesm.jpg

muz
05-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Having some tread or knobbies on the tires would be a good idea, especially if you're planning to ride down!

dem
05-06-2019, 06:51 PM
In the pic I have Specialized Trigger 700x38 which have been solid, but they are pretty heavy and don't roll super great.

I just installed a set of 700x38 Challenge Gravel Grinder TLR - they are over a half pound lighter than the Triggers and feel like they roll quite a bit faster. They have pretty big side knobs I'm hoping will help paddle me up through the dirt part without being such a drag on the pavement.

We'll have sag support if conditions going back down seem sketchy.

http://www.challengetech.it/products/gravel/gravel-grinder-tlr-096/en

Clancy
05-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Any issue with the chain line with the MTB cranks? What BB are you using?

Heisenberg
05-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but it sounds like riding the whole way to the summit is going to be prohibited soon.

https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2019/04/28/second-round-hearings-proposed-maunakea-rules/

https://i.imgur.com/bobMpsi.jpg

dem
05-06-2019, 09:41 PM
That is a super bummer indeed, looks like their meeting is July 18 and then it goes to the governor for approval. Given how much people hate bicycles in general, I assume it will pass. :(

Our trip is at the end of July, so we may just eek in under the wire. Man that makes me think I gotta double down on the diet!

re: crankset, I'm using the MTB BSA bottom bracket with all the spacers on the NDS side (two 2.5 mm spacers) - then I make it up a bit with my shoe cleat placement. This is heavily frame/crank dependent, so very "your mileage may vary"