PDA

View Full Version : OT The Derby...wow

Chris
05-04-2019, 06:23 PM
I get that Maximum Security moved out of his path, but it seems that the horses affected didn't get in on the spoils and a horse that was clearly beaten ends up the winner. No good feelings anyway that shakes out.

Bruce K
05-04-2019, 06:53 PM
The Stewards of the Meet took a long time reviewing the tape and I am sure did not make the decision lightly as there is a HUGE amount of money at stake (forget stud fees, purses, reputations, etc).

Sloppy tracks tend to produce weird results.

BK

pdmtong
05-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Maximum Security Cavendished it....

buddybikes
05-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Maximum Security's sperm will still be worth top dollar, people want the best genes

asindc
05-04-2019, 07:18 PM
Maximum Security Cavendished it....

Good point.

Mzilliox
05-04-2019, 07:34 PM
if only the horses cared

mistermo
05-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Alway thought it would suck to be the winner, yet in the winning photo, have another horse ahead.

joev
05-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Wow is right. In my opinion, it just looked like racing. When watching live, I didn't notice the drift. If anything, it looked a bit "tight" in the group for a moment. Seems those close quarters happen a lot on my local Saturday ride as it winds up for the town sign sprint.

Not sure I am a fan of the instant replay when it took them so long to try and see if there was something there to DQ the winner.

longlist
05-04-2019, 07:59 PM
its not just that is slowed the other horses down or moved them into sloppier lanes. its that his legs could've and almost did go under another horse and take them out. could've been deadly with a horse moving at 45+ miles per hour and landing on a jockey. or other horses stepping on the fallen horse and jockey. that's why they called it.

merckxman
05-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Loud chorus of boos during trophy presentation.

Frankwurst
05-04-2019, 08:17 PM
It's horse racing. A small man trying to control a large animal that also has a will of it's own. Horse racing. Not NASCAR. I cry BS on the judgement.:beer:

wgp
05-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Loud chorus of boos during trophy presentation.

I was with a group of Kentuckians who believed that the boos were for the governor of KY (who did the presentation), who they say is enormously unpopular. But who knows ...

FlashUNC
05-04-2019, 10:49 PM
It's horse racing. A small man trying to control a large animal that also has a will of it's own. Horse racing. Not NASCAR. I cry BS on the judgement.:beer:

That is literally the jockey's job.

I don't agree with this being the one to call in the 145 year history of the race, but I do get why they made the call. The jockey's got a bit of a reputation for this sort of thing, and yeah, it was a dangerous move. Though you'll see far worse not get flagged, and this was 100% a hail mary from the #2 horse's contingent to see if they could rule lawyer a win.

Tough all around.

Bruce K
05-05-2019, 04:26 AM
I read the estimated wagering losses were north of $9 Million due to the decision.

I’m guessing more than a few boos were about that

BK

johnniecakes
05-05-2019, 06:40 AM
"Rubbin is racing"

PQJ
05-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Personally, I look forward to the day when horse racing is banned.

witcombusa
05-05-2019, 01:18 PM

Long overdo
Any venture where humans, animals and large sums of money can be made. Guess who the loser is.

Dino Suegiù
05-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Yes.

This incident gets mention here, and worldwide attention including cries from the President of the US, but horses die everyday at race tracks all over, and very little if any notice is ever given. There was an article last week about 23 horses that have died so far this year at the famous Santa Anita race track in California. Lip service was given, of course, but apparently the business is still quite open for business, and surely that is not the only case or place, if 23 in 4 months die at such a well-known high-profile course.

buddybikes
05-05-2019, 07:56 PM
>>>This incident gets mention here, and worldwide attention including cries from the President of the US, but horses die everyday at race tracks all over, and very little if any notice is ever given. There was an article last week about 23 horses that have died so far this year at the famous Santa Anita race track in California. Lip service was given, of course, but apparently the business is still quite open for business, and surely that is not the only case or place, if 23 in 4 months die at such a well-known high-profile course.

Money Trumps all :mad:

bikinchris
05-05-2019, 08:48 PM
Wow is right. In my opinion, it just looked like racing. When watching live, I didn't notice the drift. If anything, it looked a bit "tight" in the group for a moment. Seems those close quarters happen a lot on my local Saturday ride as it winds up for the town sign sprint.

Not sure I am a fan of the instant replay when it took them so long to try and see if there was something there to DQ the winner.

Hmm. I noticed the wide drift and said to myself it wasn't good.

pdmtong
05-06-2019, 12:31 AM

he went from lane 2 to lane 4 or 5...

if that was cycling he would have been relegated.

in horse racing that could cause a massive pile and death to horse and riders.

jockey has to control the horse. he did not. hence....

William
05-06-2019, 07:09 AM
About as close as I get to this...

Random person: "Wow you're tall, do you play basketball?"

Me: "No, are you a horse Jockey?"

:banana:
W.

unterhausen
05-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Me: "No, are you a horse Jockey?"

Nice. The other thing that short people do well is fly fighter jets. I had a fighter pilot boss that was jockey sized. Always made me feel tall.

redir
05-06-2019, 08:20 AM
I used to live right down the street from Churchill Downs. Louisville is a great place to be on Derby Day and the week leading up to it. It's in my blood still and I miss it. That's unfortunate, unless of course you bet on the 65-1, but taht was some interference there for sure.

That or maybe a mob boss had his way :D

zap
05-06-2019, 08:49 AM

I noticed and thought the same during the race.

pdmtong
05-06-2019, 10:05 AM
I actually watched it live. I believe the whole debate started because an objection was raised. Why didn't the officials call it first as there are cameras everywhere?

unterhausen
05-06-2019, 10:12 AM
I'm sure there would be less controversy if the objection had come from the owner of a horse that was obstructed and not second place. But the officials could have called it themselves for even less controversy.

Bruce K
05-06-2019, 10:35 AM
There were actually 2 objections - the second from the rider who was physically impeded

BK

bambam
05-06-2019, 11:03 AM
Big stage and some people who don't know but feel they have the right answer because they watch racing 3 or 4 times a year.

Looked to me like the horse went from 1 or 2 row at change from 3 to 4 turn to 4 or 5 row 1/4 turn later then back to row 2 on the exit(to block the inside?). Wasn't sure if it was horse or jockey but I'm not the steward who decides. I've seen inquiries and objections before. Didn't seem any longer to decide than some others to me. I was shocked that the objection didn't come from the other 2 that were pinched by the horse that drifted and the other that was holding his line.

Reminded me of DeMare moving left and right resulting in Sagan to get eliminated in the TDF and probably another green jersey and Cavendish paying the price.

I just assume the stewards get it right most the time.

Just glad no one was hurt.

buddybikes
05-06-2019, 11:15 AM
>I just assume the stewards get it right most the time.

Meanwhile in this modern culture there the stewards will be sued for applying the rules.

When will other sports follow suite, why not?

rounder
05-06-2019, 09:55 PM
he went from lane 2 to lane 4 or 5...

if that was cycling he would have been relegated.

in horse racing that could cause a massive pile and death to horse and riders.

jockey has to control the horse. he did not. hence....

I normally agree with everything you say. But in this case, I believe Maximum Security should have gotten the win. I know that pictures show that Maximum Security veered off to the right and shut down horses in his way. But, there were 19 horses running and bumping into each other all along the race. I heard that Maximum Security veered to avoid a puddle. These were three year old colts and it sounded like he was looking for good footing. I do not blame him...I would have done the same thing if I was a horse.

Anyway, this was the Kentucky Derby. There has never been a disqualification of a winner before. Horse racing is already on a downward trend. If they are going to disqualify a winner under these circumstances to a horse who otherwise had no chance of winning, then what is the point of betting on horses, or any other sport, when the outcome can be left to the decisions of a few judges (like in ice skating).

sitzmark
05-07-2019, 12:26 AM
61D-13.004 Maintaining a Straight Course. (1) If the stewards determine that a racing infraction was intentional, or due to careless riding or driving, the jockey shall be held responsible. (2) When the way is clear in a race, a horse may be ridden or driven to any part of the course, but if any horse swerves, or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with, impede, or intimidate any other horse, it is a racing infraction. (3) The offending horse shall be disqualified if, in the opinion of the stewards, the racing infraction altered the outcome of the race, regardless of whether the infraction was accidental, willful, or the result of careless riding.

That said - it is likely that a puddle of water directly in front of Max Security is what spooked him to move right. (vid capture) The puddle is on the arena rake tire line and MS was running on that line leading into the puddle. The video still is exactly where MS started to drift right. Saez steered him left immediately after.

Tough call - when running horses in slop like that there are going to be consequences. Track officials bear some responsibility for starting the race in those conditions - if safety is truly the primary concern the race should have been postponed until the track was in better shape. That many horses in those conditions was ripe for a disaster. Luckily one didn't happen.

Louis
05-07-2019, 12:34 AM
Track officials bear some responsibility for starting the race in those conditions - if safety is truly the primary concern the race should have been postponed until the track was in better shape. That many horses in those conditions was ripe for a disaster. Luckily one didn't happen.

As you suggested, there's also the 20 horses in this race vs 14 for most big events.

More horses = more $$$$

Safety is probably not the #1 concern for these people.