PDA

View Full Version : Hed 3, Corima 4 spoke, Spinergy Rev X...

SoCalSteve
12-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi all,

Do these "style" carbon wheels have any use on bikes other than Time Trial bikes? Can they be used on "regular" road bikes? Do they serve any advantages or disadvantages on bikes other than TT bikes?

Just curious as to the pluses and minuses of using this style of wheel.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

93legendti
12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Is the Spinergy Rev X, the wheel with the 4 pairs of wide, thin carbon spokes? If so, I am pretty sure that Pavel Tonkov had a penchant for using one for his rear wheel. I think he used it during road stages, but maybe I am thinking of the final Mountain TT in the 2000 Giro.

That being said, I do not know if there is any benefit and if I was a real big rider, I would think the wheel would be too flexy.

nm87710
12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Spinergy RevX is no longer manufactured. It is prone to catastrophic failure if tension is lost on any one of the 8(4 each side) carbon spokes which on occasion break :crap: Spinergy abandoned the design due to lawsuits.

HED3s are solid wheels with well known aero properties. I've used HED3s in flatter RRs as they are a bit heavy. Great wheels if you go solo or are in a break. They really shine above 40km/hr or in cross-wind. Some lateral flex and thus not usually used in crits. Bombproof.

just my 2 pesos

SoCalSteve
12-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Maybe using Spinergy's was a bad example...

I guess the point of the posting-questions is: Can these wheels be used for training rides, hill climbing or just a Sunday cruise to the beach?

What is the downside (weight not being a factor to me) of the wheel? Upside? Or anything else?

Thank you,

Steve

orbea65
12-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Maybe using Spinergy's was a bad example...

I guess the point of the posting-questions is: Can these wheels be used for training rides, hill climbing or just a Sunday cruise to the beach?

What is the downside (weight not being a factor to me) of the wheel? Upside? Or anything else?

Thank you,

Steve

My gues is that they won't offer much aero advantage at all at the speed of your typical training ride, and they will be heavier than almost every 'normal' wheel out there. If you want to ride them because you like the way they look.....then go for it, I guess.

SoCalSteve
12-05-2006, 02:21 PM
My gues is that they won't offer much aero advantage at all at the speed of your typical training ride, and they will be heavier than almost every 'normal' wheel out there. If you want to ride them because you like the way they look.....then go for it, I guess.

Is 1850 grams heavier than most wheelset?

Weights 700c

Front Tubular 790g
Rear Tubular 1000g
Front Clincher 820g
Rear Clincher 1030g

I am sure my 32 spoke wheelset with CK or Phil hubs is about the same weight. Maybe 50 grams, give or take.

Again, besides weight...Is there any disadvantage?

Thanks,

Steve

PS: And yes, they would look very cool on my Colngao Carbonissimo, dont you think?

Bruce K
12-05-2006, 02:39 PM
They are a bear in cross winds

BK

obtuse
12-05-2006, 05:32 PM
they corner poorly, exhibit weird traits when pushed and feel awful on bad road surfaces and flex in weird directions when sprinting or climbing out of the saddle. the best behaved of all the wheels you mentioned for regular road riding were the spinergys....these at least sort of behaved like regular wheels but they were prone to catastrophic failure. get some cosmic carbones or some bontrager aelous you'll get most of the aero benefits of those dedicated time trial wheels and they'll ride better.

the corimas and the heds are time trial specific wheels. they're designed for stead outputs on non technical courses...they sacrifice ride quality, feel and stiffness for aerodynamics. if you're prepared to make those sacrificed your money and effort would be better spent purchasing aerobars.

obtuse

SoCalSteve
12-05-2006, 05:57 PM
they corner poorly, exhibit weird traits when pushed and feel awful on bad road surfaces and flex in weird directions when sprinting or climbing out of the saddle. the best behaved of all the wheels you mentioned for regular road riding were the spinergys....these at least sort of behaved like regular wheels but they were prone to catastrophic failure. get some cosmic carbones or some bontrager aelous you'll get most of the aero benefits of those dedicated time trial wheels and they'll ride better.

the corimas and the heds are time trial specific wheels. they're designed for stead outputs on non technical courses...they sacrifice ride quality, feel and stiffness for aerodynamics. if you're prepared to make those sacrificed your money and effort would be better spent purchasing aerobars.

obtuse

Dont hold back...How do you REALLY feel about them?

Thanks,

Steve

cydewaze
12-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I had a pair of Rev-Xs. I didn't much care for them. Out of the saddle, they flexed so badly that I had to run my brakes as far as possible from the rims to avoid rub, and they still rubbed. Ride quality on rough surfaces was fine, but like Bruce said, they were awful in cross winds.

I finally took advantage of Spinergy's "trade-in" policy - I destroy the wheels, and provide photographic evidence of such. In return, Spinergy sold me a new set of wheels for cheap.

I picked a set of X-aero Lites and they ended up on the wife's bike.