PDA

View Full Version : Tubulars: how far do you get with one tube of glue?

Gsinill
05-04-2019, 02:24 PM
So I am using Panaracer rim cement tubes (never could find the can).
They are 32g each.
Assuming you all follow OP's advice: tire, rim, tire, rim, tire --> how far do you get with one tube?

Somehow I assumed the guys from Panaracer put glue for one wheel into one of those tubes...

Not telling how far I get, first want to hear from others ;)

Ryun
05-04-2019, 02:34 PM
If the tire has all coated/sealed base tape I can get one wheel.
If it is Cotton and not coated like an fmb, the base tape will soak up a lot of that initially layer so I end up closer to 1.5 on most.
I’m more like tire-rim-rim for most tires

tuscanyswe
05-04-2019, 02:38 PM
1 tube is plenty for one tire imo.

YesNdeed
05-04-2019, 02:56 PM
I had the same inquiry earlier this week. Long story short, I found myself trying to glue a fresh tubie to a disc with about 36 hours until I wanted to use it for a TT. This was a problem. I applied glue to the tire and let it dry for 24 hours, but it seems like it took a lot of glue. So, it was tape to the rescue! Tufo tape worked great, set and forget! But then I am admittedly a tubie newbie.

sokyroadie
05-04-2019, 03:18 PM
I had the same inquiry earlier this week. Long story short, I found myself trying to glue a fresh tubie to a disc with about 36 hours until I wanted to use it for a TT. This was a problem. I applied glue to the tire and let it dry for 24 hours, but it seems like it took a lot of glue. So, it was tape to the rescue! Tufo tape worked great, set and forget! But then I am admittedly a tubie newbie.

You had plenty of time to glue a tire, 24 hours drying time is crazy - apply glue to tire & rim let dry maybe 1-2 hours repeat and then tire, rim when tire is just tacky mount. Air up and let dry overnight and you are Golden.

IMHO but never rolled a tire.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2019, 04:10 PM

NO reason to let tubular glue dry for 24 hours between coats.
THIN coats, tire-rim-tire-rim-tire...THIN coats...one right after another, then wait till glue on tire doesn’t stick to fingers(about 20 minutes), glue rim, mount, center...THEN wait 24 hours-go ride.

YesNdeed
05-04-2019, 04:42 PM
NO reason to let tubular glue dry for 24 hours between coats.
THIN coats, tire-rim-tire-rim-tire...THIN coats...one right after another, then wait till glue on tire doesn’t stick to fingers(about 20 minutes), glue rim, mount, center...THEN wait 24 hours-go ride.

That’s what I get for turning to YouTube for mounting lessons. Fortunately the tape worked great, and I rode the tire confidently, even if in a straight line.

terry
05-04-2019, 04:51 PM
Maybe I’ve been lucky but in 44 years of tubulars I’ve never done the tire rim tire rim tire thing. It’s tire once rim once and I’ve never rolled a tire, even in my racing days. If I get a flat they’re still a bitch to get off even with a plastic tire iron.

oldpotatoe
05-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Maybe I’ve been lucky but in 44 years of tubulars I’ve never done the tire rim tire rim tire thing. It’s tire once rim once and I’ve never rolled a tire, even in my racing days. If I get a flat they’re still a bitch to get off even with a plastic tire iron.

'Maybe':)...put 5 people in a room and ask about gluing on a tubular,get 6 or 7 opinions..I think the point is putting on a layer, waiting 24 hours, another, waiting another 24 hours is silly..Julien Devries(sp?)..LA7s wrench used to glue lance's tubies on this way..took 3-4 days..silly.

skiezo
05-05-2019, 09:21 AM
I just glued a set the other day. The rim had some glue from before so it was 2 thin coats on rim and 2 thin coats on tire. I got both mounted with one tube of glue. I use an acid brush on the rims and my bare finger on the tires. Mount and inflate to around 50/60 PSI. I do wrap a velcro strap around the valve stem area and pull it tite. I seems to help keep that area flatter.
Rode them on a 50 miler the next day.

ultraman6970
05-05-2019, 09:41 AM
One of the biggest mistakes is to use way too much glue, too much glue means glue spilling all over the place. Which is the main complain about using tubulars...

Just coats as potato says.... the idea behind it is that the tire pressure will make the tire to constrict around the rim, if there's no glue the tire will start rolling around the rim, sliding... glues now a days IME don't required the 24 hours some mention, like in a couple of hours or if you glue at night, next morning that thing wont go anywhere.

32 grams tubes IME you have enough probably for 2 or even 3 wheels IME, if you use one in one wheel you will notice right away that the glue is going all over the place including shoes, hair, hands, rims... That you put a lot of glue doesnt mean the work is right either... clearly it is a thing of experience aswell...

BRad704
05-05-2019, 10:01 AM
'Maybe':)...put 5 people in a room and ask about gluing on a tubular,get 6 or 7 opinions..I think the point is putting on a layer, waiting 24 hours, another, waiting another 24 hours is silly..Julien Devries(sp?)..LA7s wrench used to glue lance's tubies on this way..took 3-4 days..silly.

I've looked into the process before and there's a GCN video with a WT mechanic who says it takes 3-4 days. I have no personal knowledge, so I thought that was just the only way to do it.

In the end, I dropped wheels and tires at a friend's actual shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sokyroadie
05-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Nope, On a new or clean rim I can glue and mount (1) day and ride the next - around 18 hours dry time after mounting.

YMMV

BITD I would take a rim to the LBS and they would glue a new tire on while I waited - the yucky red mastic.

redir
05-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Actually I am quite convinced that I could rail any corner at full speed after gluing a tire on and waiting 5 minuted. Not that I recommend doing it but I bet you could. Would be an interesting test.

I'd recommend caution at telling newbies to tubulars that the most common mistake in gluing up a tire is using too little glue. It's ok if you use too much it NOT ok if you use too little. Eventually you will learn. One tube should be enough but get extra ones anyway.

chiasticon
05-07-2019, 01:14 PM
One of the biggest mistakes is to use way too much glue, too much glue means glue spilling all over the place. Which is the main complain about using tubulars...one thing I used to do is put electrical tape around the braking surface of the rims. only took a minute and I figured this made it so I hopefully wouldn't have to clean them later. downside is I used way more glue and was sloppy about it. result is of course glue spewing out the sides when I mounted the tire. no glue on the brake track (because of the tape), but extra glue between rim and tire. now I'm just a bit more careful about it and I feel the results are better. takes probably same amount of time, because less glue to clean up afterwards!

one other duh moment I had that resulted in a lot cleaner and more even glueing: don't hold the wheel still and move your brush hand. put it in a stand (or fork/frame dropout). hold your brush hand steady and spin the wheel. (again, duh)

bigbill
05-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Tube/tire. About 20% of the glue ends up on me.

Gsinill
05-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Thanks all for the responses...

OK, for this set, my rims where clean and the tires had never been glued before.
I used a little over 1 tube per wheel.
Next time, I am sure I can get it down to exactly 1 tube if I try to avoid any spill over onto the brake track etc.

In regards to keeping the brake tracks and tire walls clean, I just use a heavy duty leather work glove and rub it off right after mounting the tire.
Comes off pretty easily even from the tire.

redir
05-07-2019, 02:17 PM
I use acetone and a cloth to clean up any mess. +1 on taping up the brake track. I use masking tape and only tape off about 1/4 of the weel on the opposite side of the vlave, the last part of the rim where you pop the tire over. It's easy to make a mess there.

skiezo
05-07-2019, 04:08 PM
I have an old POS fork that I got from my LBS years ago. I made a stand for the fork and use that to glue my rims with. Works like a charm.

Tim Porter
05-07-2019, 08:30 PM
A 39 cent tossable acid brush from your local hardware store is your friend. You really don't need to go to the extreme of taping the brake tracks. You are using WAY too much on any one coat if you're overflowing the rim surface such that you get glue on the rim. Further hint: even the plain acid brush can be a little loosey-goosey and hard to control but they work like a charm if you cut off approximately half of the bristles, length-wise.

Just use the tube of glue to put a bit more than a pea sized blob between the spoke holes and smooth it on with the shortened brush. If you hold the wheel in a truing stand or fork, and follow OP's protocol, you'll be fine and it'll be neat as a pin.

rwsaunders
05-08-2019, 06:15 AM
Tim is right on regarding the acid brushes...no need to tape and wear gloves. I just place the wheel in a fork of bike which is flipped upside down, grab a chair, a glass of wine and turn on Spotify. Having the wheel in a fork makes it easy to manage the wheel in term of keeping glue off of the brake track, as well as out of the spoke holes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHG2DQY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07PHG2DQY&pd_rd_w=OKZcb&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=SuKmv&pf_rd_r=F9FRX9AEYZFKZ2NKMCYX&pd_rd_r=71cd0725-7182-11e9-a9da-2171f603c15c

redir
05-08-2019, 08:57 AM
The tape is not there for squeeze out, it's there just in case you flub mounting the very last section of the tire and accidentally rub it against the side walls. It takes literally 15 seconds to put the tape on and prevent the aggravation of cleaning it up should you make that mistake.

It's good advice for noobs too.

+1 on the little brushes.

Gsinill
05-08-2019, 09:11 AM
The tape is not there for squeeze out, it's there just in case you flub mounting the very last section of the tire and accidentally rub it against the side walls...

So you are saying there is a way to get the whole tire on without the glued area touching the rim with any tire???

I am not a tubular expert but with the few I mounted, there was no way and I am not talking about friggin Continentals...

oldpotatoe
05-08-2019, 09:15 AM
So you are saying there is a way to get the whole tire on without the glued area touching the rim with any tire???

I am not a tubular expert but with the few I mounted, there was no way and I am not talking about friggin Continentals...

Yip, not :)Contis..stretch those suckers..onto a rim, wth lotsa PSI..then, when you mount..valve in and then PUSH, PUSH, PUSH down(rim on floor)..PUSH tire down with fingers..and at the end, just pull it over the rim..:)

Tim Porter
05-08-2019, 09:26 AM
The tape is not there for squeeze out, it's there just in case you flub mounting the very last section of the tire and accidentally rub it against the side walls. It takes literally 15 seconds to put the tape on and prevent the aggravation of cleaning it up should you make that mistake.

It's good advice for noobs too.

+1 on the little brushes.

Gotcha, redir.

redir
05-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Yip, not :)Contis..stretch those suckers..onto a rim, wth lotsa PSI..then, when you mount..valve in and then PUSH, PUSH, PUSH down(rim on floor)..PUSH tire down with fingers..and at the end, just pull it over the rim..:)

I have spare rims from bad wheels that got banged up or bent. I just remove the hub and spokes and keep the rims. Right now I probably have 10 tires mounted to spare rims stretching. OF course they need to be pumped up again when I need them. I let them stretch for a day or two before mounting.

How long do you stretch them for? I know some people say they just put a foot down on the tire and stetch them by pulling on them but that never worked for me.