PDA

View Full Version : OT:OT:wireless router killing wired connection

eddief
12-04-2006, 08:09 PM
I have concerns about going 75 feet and through 6 walls with my new Belkin N1 router. But it is sending a signal to my thinkpad laptop and the Imac G5 on the other side of the six walls.

What I don't understand is why my wired PC with cable modem is experiencing such high degradation. The CABLE from Comcast goes into the modem, and then a cable from the modem goes to the router, and then a cable comes outa the router to my pc.

Now surfing via the wired pc sucks.

I'd rather work on a bike any day. Got any ideas?

spiderlake
12-04-2006, 08:19 PM
what happens when you run a speed test from your wired PC and a wireless machine on your network? Check out:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I don't know anything about the Belkin routers but could be a duplex issue, DNS issues or maybe different MTU settings on your PC compared to your wireless devices. You might also want to check the cable between the router and our PC.

Yeah, I know none of these are definitive suggestions but might point you in the right direction. Hope it helps!

I have concerns about going 75 feet and through 6 walls with my new Belkin N1 router. But it is sending a signal to my thinkpad laptop and the Imac G5 on the other side of the six walls.

What I don't understand is why my wired PC with cable modem is experiencing such high degradation. The CABLE from Comcast goes into the modem, and then a cable from the modem goes to the router, and then a cable comes outa the router to my pc.

Now surfing via the wired pc sucks.

I'd rather work on a bike any day. Got any ideas?

pale scotsman
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Are you using AOL? If so the MTU (maxiumum transmission unit) for AOL has to be set @ 1400. Not something they tell you unless you got an A in mind reading...

eddief
12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
not aol.

znfdl
12-05-2006, 02:44 AM
Is the network secure? Could a neighbor be reading you signal? I have a Belkin unit and pickup a signal 150ft from my house.

MarcusPless
12-05-2006, 11:59 AM
You might also want to confirm that your wireless devices are, in fact, using your wireless network and not your neighbor's network. :)

--Marcus

JasonH
12-05-2006, 12:34 PM
So the only thing that changed was you bought the new wireless router? Are you using the same cable from your pc to the router as before? If so try another port on the router and see if your connection improves. Make sure you aren't using one labelled Uplink.

Whether or not it improves (if it does the first port you tried was faulty) I would return the unit. MTU's and duplexing should all be automatically taken care of with any standard network nowadays. Did you ever set up a shared connection with this computer using windows? If so, good luck getting things back to normal, ICS is almost as :crap: as AOL.

Keith A
12-05-2006, 12:56 PM
What I don't understand is why my wired PC with cable modem is experiencing such high degradation. The CABLE from Comcast goes into the modem, and then a cable from the modem goes to the router, and then a cable comes outa the router to my pc.What happens if you bypass the router and plug directly into your modem? Do you still get the speed degradation? Using the speed test posted here will give you some solid numbers to work with. If you don't get a slow down when plugged in directly to the cable modem, then at least you know it is your router that is the problem.

BURCH
12-05-2006, 01:13 PM
The only variable that you really introduced is the router. It sending out a wireless signal should not be affecting it the wired computer unless the router is not functioning properly.

I work remotely from home in the same setup as you are explaining and I have had to get the cable company to come out here several times because my connection and its speed is my livelihood.

Here is what I learned recently

1) The cable that goes to your modem should not have any splits before it gets to your modem. The cable comes from the pole to your house. It should split at your house where one cable goes directly to your modem without any splits. The other cable can split over and over to the TVs. This cable that goes to the modem should also be newer. A cable installed 10 years ago will not be able to carry the same speed signal that the new cables carry.

2) This wouldn't affect your hard wire computer, but if you are using a security encryption on your wireless signal, it will definately slow down the signal to your laptop.

I would call the cable company and have them test your modem for speed. They can do it remotely from their location, but they may have to send a guy out to attach a box to your outlet for a bandwidth test. I had the first issue explained above and the cable company had to run a brand new line into the house for the modem. They didn't charge for the work since it should have been done when we moved in they said.

Good luck.