PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a thinner front derailleur clamp

KJMUNC
05-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Old part to look for, but my current bike utilizes a front derailleur clamp (Smolik brand) and the hinge on the backside creates such limited clearance that I can just barely run a 23c tire. I'd love to be able to move up to at least a 25c tire so I'm not riding on pizza-cutters all the time.

From just looking online at various options KCNC appears to be the thinnest at the hinge, but hard to tell.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a front derailleur clamp that is "thinner" at the hinge and provides more clearance?

Pic below for reference. Thanks!

kramnnim
05-03-2019, 09:40 AM
Parlee carbon clamps, can't get much thinner.

kramnnim
05-03-2019, 09:40 AM
https://store.parleecycles.com/products/parlee-carbon-front-derailleur-clamp

KJMUNC
05-03-2019, 09:45 AM
wow....that is thin.....incredibly expensive! Thx for the heads up.

FlashUNC
05-03-2019, 10:00 AM
What about a Campgnolo clamp? They hinge at a different point and may get you some more clearance.

R3awak3n
05-03-2019, 10:01 AM
wow....that is thin.....incredibly expensive! Thx for the heads up.

they are fantastic though and you can find em cheaper on ebay. Also can find knock off brands on ebay for like $30. I never used the knock off brands but I have heard they work well.

Can't get thinner than that.

KJMUNC
05-03-2019, 10:08 AM
they are fantastic though and you can find em cheaper on ebay. Also can find knock off brands on ebay for like $30. I never used the knock off brands but I have heard they work well.

Can't get thinner than that.

Yep, this is probably the route I'll go. Looks like there are a bunch of options on eBay. All my tires are either 28c or 23c so unfortunately I don't have a sample to fit and check how much clearance I need for 25s. Those Carbon clamps are thin enough I should be able to at least get 25s, maybe more.

Thanks all!