PDA

View Full Version : OT: car camping sleeping pads

weaponsgrade
05-03-2019, 12:15 AM
I'm looking for some suggestions on sleeping pads. I have an old Thermarest (Guidelite - I think) that I used for backpacking, but I'm looking for something more comfy. It'll be used mostly for summer car camping so weight, packed size, and r-value are less of a concern than comfort. Something under $100 would be good too since I need to get 4.

zmalwo
05-03-2019, 12:25 AM
a foldable stretcher is the best. a mat over your vehicle interior will feel uneven even if you use a thick sleeping bag. a Talon litter is kinda expensive but pretty handy for camping also folds up pretty small. Military cots are also pretty comfy, lighter than a stretcher but a pain in the ass to set up every time. Both provide elevation and temperature isolation from the ground.

TMD
05-03-2019, 12:39 AM
It is a bit pricy, but the Thermarest Mondoking is great. Highly Recommend

Bradford
05-03-2019, 07:54 AM
I have a nice, and expensive, Big Agnes pad for backpacking, but use cheap Colman blow up mattresses for car camping. I bring a plug in inflater with an AC inverter so I can blow it up using the car's power. It is a much better night's sleep and you can pick up the Slim version in twin size for under $30 at Walmart.

If you are in a tent, like we are, then pay attention to size. We have a six person tent, 4 in the main area plus two in the vestibule, and I can fit three twin slim pads in the main area and a full in the vestibule.

I'm getting too old to be uncomfortable when I sleep and appreciate the extra cush.

Likes2ridefar
05-03-2019, 08:13 AM
IMO best car camping are the luxury map pads by thermarest in the largest size. It’s almost as good as my Casper at home :hello:

I like it more than the mondoking mentioned above after trying both.

Lewis Moon
05-03-2019, 08:16 AM
I've done three Grand Canyon river trips on one of these (https://www.jpwinc.com/product-category/paco-pads/?v=7516fd43adaa). Pricey but the best, as evidenced by the number of guides and river companies that use them.

Jellybird3
05-03-2019, 11:26 AM
It is a bit pricy, but the Thermarest Mondoking is great. Highly Recommend

Agree 100%

Henrythewound
05-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Costco has some thickish pads (https://www.costco.com/Lightspeed-Outdoors-Self-Inflating-Sleep-Pad-with-FlexForm.product.100475040.html) that I find comfortable and they are $35 at my local store.

kingpin75s
05-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Cannot hit that $100 price point with my recommend but had to get new backpacking and car camping pads a couple of years ago and after much research settled on Exped pads at the time. Really nice pads.

I use this one for car camping:

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/megamat-10-mw-green

gdw
05-03-2019, 12:09 PM
Bradford nailed it, for car camping the Coleman air mattresses and an electric pump are a great choice. They're inexpensive, comfortable, and durable.

AngryScientist
05-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Bradford nailed it, for car camping the Coleman air mattresses and an electric pump are a great choice. They're inexpensive, comfortable, and durable.

absolutely. and if your tent is big enough, get a big one. it's nice being able to roll over at night without the confinement of staying on a narrow sleeping pad.

Likes2ridefar
05-03-2019, 12:15 PM
My only problem with those are the r values usually are very low which even in the summer can be pretty chilly. We used to use one but ultimately went to the luxury pads and I sleep much warmer. I’m a notoriously cold sleeper and always take my feathered friends 20 degree unless it’s arizona summer temps...

I think the luxury pad or the thicker mondoking is more comfortable, especially if you are sharing the larger Coleman style air mattress with someone else.

srcarter
05-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Seconded. We tried a bunch at a local sporting goods store and purchased the Luxury Map by Thermarest. We had been using a cheap inflatable Coleman air mattress. Like the Thermarest far more.

IMO best car camping are the luxury map pads by thermarest in the largest size. It’s almost as good as my Casper at home :hello:

I like it more than the mondoking mentioned above after trying both.

Ozz
05-03-2019, 12:24 PM
...but use cheap Colman blow up mattresses for car camping. I bring a plug in inflater with an AC inverter so I can blow it up using the car's power. It is a much better night's sleep and you can pick up the Slim version in twin size for under $30 at Walmart.....

+1

You are car camping, so don't worry about weight, they pack smaller than most pads, and you have a power supply for an inflator.

12snap
05-03-2019, 12:29 PM
I love my Big Agnes. It's this one: https://www.bigagnes.com/Insulated-Air-Core-Ultra?size=16&custcol15=1

I used it 3 out of the past 4 weekends for mtn bike trips to the desert.

MSRP on the 20" x 72" is $99.95. You should be able to find it on sale somewhere for cheaper.

brownhound
05-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Someone gave me one of these: https://www.thermarest.com/cots

I LOVE compared to a pad for car camping. Basically as comfortable as a bed.

05-03-2019, 08:11 PM
I used to be a Thermarest NeoRest XTherm fan. Then I tried a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus. It's a bit heavier so the weight-weenies don't go with it, but the comfort is unparalleled. The edges don't collapse like on the better Thermarests. The Comfort Plus has two layers so you can pump up the bottom one for better insulation and keep the top one softer like a pillow-top mattress. Thermarest overstates their R-values a bit at 5.7 for their top mattresses and Sea to Summit understates theirs at 5.0. I can assure you the Sea to Summit is the warmer of the two. Go read www.outdoorgearlab.com reviews.

Louis
05-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Someone gave me one of these: https://www.thermarest.com/cots

I LOVE compared to a pad for car camping. Basically as comfortable as a bed.

+1 on this.

A few months ago I used one for about 7 nights and it was fine. It was coolish, so I put a thin blanket over the mesh and had a plain sheet over me.

dnades
05-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Thermarest. We still have some that are 15plus years old. The new ones are a bit thicker which is nice. I think our original ones are either 1 inch or 1 1/4 thick. The newer basic model I bought two years ago are 1 1/2 thick and a little warmer. We use them on the ground, in a tent for three weeks and no complaints. I was amazed at how comfortable they were 15 years ago and they've gotten better. Pretty sure they make one that is 2 inches thick and a bit wider than the standard version. I think they were 85 bucks or so. Can't quite remember but definitely worth it.

csm
05-06-2019, 07:58 PM
I've got a Nemo. Has some insulating value. When paired with the sierra designs down bad sleeping bag it's as comfortable as home.
I use it backpacking and motorcycle camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk