PDA

View Full Version : Schwalbe Pro One 28mm vs S-Works Turbo 28mm vs Conti GP5000 28mm

SoCalSteve
05-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Hi all,

Thoughts on the similarities and differences between these 3 tires, please.

I’ve been a Conti GP4000 25mm fan forever, but wondering if I should switch as my new bike can handle 28’s easily.

Full disclosure, I’ve spent about 100 miles on both the new Conti’s and Turbo’s. So far I think the Turbo’s are superior.

Would love to hear others thoughts, especially regarding the Schwalbe’s.

Thank you all in advance!

Steve

John H.
05-02-2019, 09:06 PM
I have ridden the Pro One and The S-Works.
Both are really good tires.
Specialized feel softer, but surprisingly don't ride any faster. Cut fairly easily and wear more quickly than the Schwable.
The Schwable has been a very good tire for me. Rides well and pretty good durability.
I expect that the GP5000 will be similar- Casing feels like the Schwable- But a 28 in the new GP5000 is a smaller tires than either the S-Works or Schwable.
Need the 32 to more or less match those tires-

NYCfixie
05-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Been riding Schwalbe 28mm for at least a few years on wide rims; have not found anything better yet if you consider both the ride quality and durability.

I am trying the Conti5000 just because it comes in 32mm. The Schwalbe now comes in 30mm so I may get around to just getting those once my 28mm stock runs out.

My N=1 life means I have a mid-reach rim brake bike so I am going for fatter rubber as much as possible.

SoCalSteve
05-02-2019, 09:22 PM
I have ridden the Pro One and The S-Works.
Both are really good tires.
Specialized feel softer, but surprisingly don't ride any faster. Cut fairly easily and wear more quickly than the Schwable.
The Schwable has been a very good tire for me. Rides well and pretty good durability.
I expect that the GP5000 will be similar- Casing feels like the Schwable- But a 28 in the new GP5000 is a smaller tires than either the S-Works or Schwable.
Need the 32 to more or less match those tires-

Do you run them tubeless?

Thanks!

S

mistermo
05-02-2019, 10:59 PM
I've flatted 4 tubeless 28 Schwalbe Pro Ones in the span of about 100-150 miles. I gave up and installed a 28 Conti 5000 and have yet to put any miles on them, but rides "fine" in the mere couple miles I've tried. I have Spec Turbo cotton 26s (tubed) on my other bike and they're my favorite.

scharny
05-03-2019, 08:32 AM
I've flatted 4 tubeless 28 Schwalbe Pro Ones in the span of about 100-150 miles. I gave up and installed a 28 Conti 5000 and have yet to put any miles on them, but rides "fine" in the mere couple miles I've tried. I have Spec Turbo cotton 26s (tubed) on my other bike and they're my favorite.

I've been using Schwalbe Pro Ones for a long time and have come to the conclusion that they are great as a front tire but they are too puncture-prone to use as a rear tire. Of course that also depends on what you are using them for - I ride 'em on lots of cracked pavement and gravel/dirt.

dem
05-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Same.. ProOne wear out super fast (<1500 miles) in the rear and puncture that goo won't seal.. back to Continental for me.

scharny
05-03-2019, 09:05 AM
Same.. ProOne wear out super fast (<1500 miles) in the rear and puncture that goo won't seal.. back to Continental for me.
Wait - there's a tire out there that actually lasts 1,500 miles?!

false_Aest
05-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Steve,

I've had bad luck with Schwalbe tires in the SoCal environment. They've all dry rotted REALLY fast. I didn't think much of it at first but it happened on 3 different models. As you know, our office isn't too far from your place. My guess is the ocean air. I seem to recall Swoop having the same issue with the Ultremo a few years back.

As for 28mm tires. Bruh, do it! Measure the OD of your 25s.
Measure the OD of the 28s. Reduce PSI by 10 for every 2mm larger.

GP5000 are awesome. So are the Vittoria Corsa Control (you didn't ask but I'm saying.)

I seem to remember hearing that the tread on the Specialized tires is all the same size but the casing size differs. This means that the rubber-to-casing ratio is a bit "better" on the larger tires therefore they roll faster. (****, don't quote me on that. It was probably something I heard while in a jetlag daze at the TPE show.)

FWIW, I don't hate Schwalbe. They make amazing ebike tires. Awesome enough for me to spec them OE.

FlashUNC
05-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Vittoria Corsas. Even though you didn't specify them.

SoCalSteve
05-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Vittoria Corsas. Even though you didn't specify them.

Thanks Tommy and Flash!!!

I’d try the Vittoria's, but am a bit weary of their puncture resistance capabilities. Thoughts on this, please.

And yeah, my new bike easily handles 28’s.

AngryScientist
05-03-2019, 10:14 AM
I’d try the Vittoria's, but am a bit weary of their puncture resistance capabilities. Thoughts on this, please.

graphene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvcR5xSmkG0

FlashUNC
05-03-2019, 10:15 AM

I've been using the Corsas for going on four years now across some pretty terrible East Bay roads with two flats during that time. I've picked my share of small stones and glass shards out of the tread post ride that didn't cause a flat, so whatever the Graphene and other bits they're adding for puncture protection are doing their job.

Are they Gatorskins? No. But they also ride nice and not like garden hoses taped to the rim.

false_Aest
05-03-2019, 10:47 AM

They're on par with any other "race" clincher in that it's not designed around flat protection, it's designed around going fast with some added flat resistance.

Knowing where you ride, the biggest form of flat prevention is to look at your tires when you're done riding and remove any embedded debris. I'm a pretty firm believe that if you're gonna flat on PCH or in Santa Monica, you're gonna flat no matter what the tire -- Why did I, literally, see a fork on the road just past Topanga? Surfer trash! -- unless you're riding Gatorskins.

Oh yeah, regarding PSI. Once you think you've found the magic PSI, reduce it by another 5-10 PSI. You'll thank me.

LouDeeter
05-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Another vote for the Vittoria, either the Pave 700x27 old ones or the Graphene. There is a new Corsa Graphene out with apparently a new blend material, but I've only used the G+ Corsa and Control. No issues with punctures. I do regularly check my tires for glass shards and pick them out with a sharp pointy tool. I've recently been riding the Panaracer Competition 700x28, but they measure out at 31 width so might not work if you are tight with 28 in other tires. I do like the ride of the Panaracer Competition but with less than 500 miles, it is hard to grade their puncture resistance.

dem
05-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Wait - there's a tire out there that actually lasts 1,500 miles?!

ha, what're you getting? I usually get 6000 out of a GP4000 (3000 on the front, then 3000 on the rear.)

I hope the GP5000 will be similar, but given my GP4000 pile, not until next year!

fmradio516
05-03-2019, 12:46 PM
ha, what're you getting? I usually get 6000 out of a GP4000 (3000 on the front, then 3000 on the rear.)

im struggling with the math here

FlashUNC
05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
im struggling with the math here

He's rotating the tire from the front to the rear.

fmradio516
05-03-2019, 12:56 PM
He's rotating the tire from the front to the rear.

aha! got it. I thought he was just combining the mileage of the front and rear tires independent of each other. :)

crossjunkee
05-06-2019, 04:02 PM
If you like the GP4K's, you'll absolutely LOVE the GP5k's! I've gone through 3, S-Works this year due to cuts. Something has changed in the rubber from the big S. Vittoria Corsa's were doing OK until the tread started coming unglued from the cotton, now I don't trust them.

I say go with the GP5000's. I have them on now and so far so good!