PDA

View Full Version : Beyond meat ipo today

alancw3
05-02-2019, 07:50 AM
set to start trading today. I believe the symbol will be BYND:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-beyond-meat-public-offering-20190502-story.html

interesting take by Jim kramer at mad money:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=uh3_finance_vert&p=beyond+meat#id=1&vid=2438fc055a446610c4b86a9306342666&action=click

45K10
05-02-2019, 11:35 AM
I like the idea especially seeing that Beef has the highest effect on the environment compared to other foods. I'm just not sold that processed meat replacements are all that healthy. The Impossible burger has almost 500mg of sodium per serving, that's a lot. So, I'm hesitant to invest my money at the moment.

harlond
05-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Opened at $25, now around $60. A bit surprised by the rapid run-up.

benb
05-02-2019, 01:07 PM
The impossible burger has probably been pre-seasoned?

A teaspoon of salt has 2000mg of sodium. If you mix a teaspoon into 4-5 burger patties your making by hand you're not that far off 500mg.

I don't know that I use a teaspoon but I usually put spices in burgers.

The Impossible Burger 2.0 is seriously good. Not sure where else I stand on it but it's really good. Love the option to have one at a restaurant where the beef burger is going to be a 1500cal meal. I think it would be too expensive at home to seriously think about replacing grilled homemade burgers regularly.

I haven't tried a Beyond Burger but I wish them luck too.

45K10
05-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Yep I heard they taste good. I'm looking forward to trying one.

I am also a little bit surprised by the quick run up. We'll see how it does over the next week or so.

MattTuck
05-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Less than 10 million new shares issued, not hugely surprised by attention its getting. You could probably find 10 million vegans in California alone that want to own the stock for virtue signaling reasons.

I'd like to try some of the animal protein competitors, and see where they are in terms of scaling and cost.

Fun times to be alive. hopefully we are not on our way to Soylent green.

mistermo
05-02-2019, 03:06 PM
EDIT: My bad. This is Beyond Meats which is NOT the same as the Impossible Burger. Don't know that I've had their product.

ORIGINAL POST:
Way back, I tried to buy Starbucks stock about a year before they went public and was told they weren't offering stock. About a year later, this would've been around 1994ish, I learned that they'd gone public and figured I'd missed the window.

About a year ago, I had my first Beyond Meat Impossible Burger. They're delicious and I go out of my way to find restaurants that serve them. About a year ago, I looked into whether they're publicly traded or not. They weren't. Today, thanks to this forum, I hear they're suddenly public. Their Burger King test in the heart of the country did phenomenally well. I will buy their stock. Like Starbucks, this is the real deal.

I dare say the "fake" meat tastes better than real meat.

Demand is far outstripping their ability to make it. Their issue is scale right now. That's a super good problem to have.

vincenz
05-02-2019, 03:34 PM
The impossible burger has probably been pre-seasoned?

A teaspoon of salt has 2000mg of sodium. If you mix a teaspoon into 4-5 burger patties your making by hand you're not that far off 500mg.

I don't know that I use a teaspoon but I usually put spices in burgers.

The Impossible Burger 2.0 is seriously good. Not sure where else I stand on it but it's really good. Love the option to have one at a restaurant where the beef burger is going to be a 1500cal meal. I think it would be too expensive at home to seriously think about replacing grilled homemade burgers regularly.

I haven't tried a Beyond Burger but I wish them luck too.

This seems right. If it really tastes as good as people say, I would be interested in purchasing if they could sell it like packaged ground beef not salted. If the price were comparable, I would eat it for health and environmental reasons alone over beef.

makoti
05-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Yep I heard they taste good. I'm looking forward to trying one.

I am also a little bit surprised by the quick run up. We'll see how it does over the next week or so.

Both the burger & the sausages are pretty darn good. Cooking the burger...it's a bit different. Don't put a lot of extra "wettness" on the burger before cooking (marinades, sauces) The patty becomes soggy. They burgers don't brown like beef. If you're one of those who can't stand red meat, this might not be for you. Even fully cooked, the center will retain redness.
I was pleasantly surprised with the ones I had. I wish the sodium content was lower, but that's not a huge deal for me, thankfully.

ryker
05-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Not sure if you have A&W restaurants in your part of the world but those in Canada offer the Beyond Meat burger. The taste is the same as conventional fast food meat, which is to say it tastes like whatever condiments you've chosen. In burger form the texture is the same as fast food burgers. To the extent that cheap meat is really just a "platform" for seasoning and condiments rather than of intrinsic value, the environmental cost is hard to stomach.

MattTuck
08-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Interesting criticism from Whole Foods founder, John Mackey, "“The [brands] who are capturing the imagination of people — and I’m not going to name these brands because I’m afraid I will be associated with the critique of it,” says Mackey, “but some of these that are extremely popular now that are taking the world by storm, if you look at the ingredients, they are super, highly processed foods.”

The article goes onto say that there are other reasons to buy them, and that it may be a more ethical choice on a number of levels. But, the jury is out whether they are actually more healthy.

article. (https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/21/whole-foods-ceo-john-mackey-plant-based-meat-not-good-for-your-health.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab)

In other news, Beyond Meat is trading at $156!!

Elefantino
08-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Beyond is going to start taste-testing Beyond Chicken nuggets at Atlanta-area KFCs.

The burgers are better IMO than the Impossible burgers.

benb
08-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Since this thread was started we actually got some Beyond Burgers and cooked them at home.

I cooked them in a pan per some of the online instructions instead of the barbecue. A small bit of canola oil in a nonstick pan.

My wife had actually bought 2 packages, they have recently reformulated them so we tried both types. The newer type got more of a sear like beef than the original did but the taste was about the same.

I would have to say I think the visible difference and/or taste difference between beef:beyond burger might be larger than beef:impossible burger but I think I preferred the Beyond beef burgers.. they were very satisfying and seemed less greasy/less stomach upsetting. (I'd rate a lot of high fat beef burgers as fairly stomach upsetting too FWIW.)

The Beyond burgers we had were 250cal/patty. I really liked them. They are still expensive.

This stuff may be processed but there are no antibiotic issues! The antibiotic resistance being generated in big beef feed lots is quite terrifying!

Also Whole Foods sells so many woo-woo products that are low quality that I don't really trust their CEO on anything to do with health or science, etc..

Maybe it's gotten better since Amazon took over but I always took issue with the fact you couldn't do all your shopping at Whole Foods without sacrificing quality on some things cause they were only selling expensive earthy crunchy stuff that didn't work as well as the mass market products in certain categories. (E.x. something like deodorant or shaving cream)

alancw3
08-28-2019, 02:17 PM
I still like boca burgers after eating for 20 years. they changed their burger formula somewhat eliminating the original but they still have the "all American burger" which I really enjoy. impossible and beyond beef are the new kids on the block and people seem willing to pay the high price. I buy a four pack of 2.5 oz boca burgers for about $3.00. one fits nicely on a Thomas light English muffin for a total of about 200 calories before condiments. I just wish Costco would carry the larger size burgers again. they stopped carrying several years ago when they started carrying Morningstar black bean burgers which I don't like. I am going to try the impossible whopper but with 1080 mg of sodium I am in no rush.

verticaldoug
08-28-2019, 05:01 PM
I think the reason Farmers feed animals anti-biotics is it helps with weight gain. We eat the anti-biotic/rBGH laced meat/milk and now we also have a fatness problem. Correlation is not causation, but.... I refuse to take my tinfoil hat off.

William
08-28-2019, 05:40 PM
;)

tctyres
08-28-2019, 05:42 PM
I think the reason Farmers feed animals anti-biotics is it helps with weight gain. We eat the anti-biotic/rBGH laced meat/milk and now we also have a fatness problem. Correlation is not causation, but.... I refuse to take my tinfoil hat off.

Eating a lot of saturated fat will do it. Fats, both from meat and coconut oil, which is used in these burgers, are energy-dense. Losing weight involves watching total energy intake as well as available carbohydrates (generally as grams per total gram).

People have started coming up with similar recipes for these "fake meats" and the ingredients are not expensive at all and have fewer processed foods: for example, https://www.planted365.com/2018/05/18/impossible-burger/

I think the way taking vegetable matter and converting it into meat via food science is hokey. I mean, sure, it seems to work, but calling it "grilled sandwich plant protein" albeit unsexy, is probably OK. We used to joke about "mystery meat" in K-12 and wondered what was actually in McDonald's patties. Now, the "mystery" is a selling point.

Blue Jays
08-28-2019, 06:23 PM
Curious to try one of these premium veggie burgers just to see what all the buzz is about.