PDA

View Full Version : OT: Car stuff and wrong info.

Cicli
05-01-2019, 06:05 AM
So, a week ago my wife went and bought herself a new car. Paid cash and brought it home, all on her own. Pretty cool. Car is a 19 Honda Accord and is really a nice car. I did t get involved.
Last night I was looking at the paperwork and it Turns out all of her registration/title and warranty paperwork has the wrong VIN number on it. Not the same as what’s on the car. Seems they gave her the car she wanted but invoiced the wrong car. How much of a pint in my a$$ is this going to be? Hopefully none for us but....... does anyone in the know, know?

Thoughts?

buddybikes
05-01-2019, 06:20 AM
Back to the dealer, demand they pay for all re-registration work. You will have real mess if stopped by police for infraction, accident, or reslling car with bad title. Do not drive car, unless simple drive to dealer.

No small matter that needs immediate attention. Be prepared to reach out to registry of MV, insurance, and your state consumer affairs offices.

good luck

AngryScientist
05-01-2019, 06:24 AM
So, a week ago my wife went and bought herself a new car. Paid cash and brought it home, all on her own. Pretty cool. Car is a 19 Honda Accord and is really a nice car. I did t get involved.
Last night I was looking at the paperwork and it Turns out all of her registration/title and warranty paperwork has the wrong VIN number on it. Not the same as what’s on the car. Seems they gave her the car she wanted but invoiced the wrong car. How much of a pint in my a$$ is this going to be? Hopefully none for us but....... does anyone in the know, know?

Thoughts?

that's pretty diligent of you to have caught that Cicli, good work. You definitely save yourself a big hassle finding this now than somewhere down the road. You effectively have a car with no title or registration right now, which is a pretty big deal.

I would have your wife get that car back to the dealership and have them sort it out for you immediately. Even driving the car right now is questionable, the vehicle insurance is probably technically invalid since it is not for the VIN of the car you actually own.

This is a unique situation, but i will say anytime i have had to deal with the DMV/MVC of any state it has been a HUGE hassle, but you should be able to just return the car to the dealer and have them fix it since it is 100% their fault.

i would call ahead, speak to the manager of the dealership and tell him you're dropping the car off and expect them to fix it promptly.

dgauthier
05-01-2019, 06:27 AM
The VIN identifies the car that was built. Your insurance company will use it to look up the model, color, options, etc. from the manufacturer's database. It has to be right.

This sort of thing happens. The dealer should re-file all your paperwork with the correct VIN number, while keeping everything else (price, for instance) the same.

They should give you no hassle. Let us know how it goes.

charliedid
05-01-2019, 06:42 AM
You guys are freaking out for no reason.

1) Your wife calls the dealer and explains the situation.

2) Your wife calls the insurance Co. and explains the situation.

3) Your wife takes the car to the deal and everything gets sorted out. Maybe they give her a loaner, maybe she sits on the couch and watches an episode of Judge Judy or a little CNN for a bit.

4) Your wife returns home with all the correct paperwork.

Life. It happens.

Mikej
05-01-2019, 06:55 AM
I'm sure the dealership would also like to get this straightened out, since they will most likely have an extra car and be missing one.

biker72
05-01-2019, 07:00 AM
You guys are freaking out for no reason.

1) Your wife calls the dealer and explains the situation.

2) Your wife calls the insurance Co. and explains the situation.

3) Your wife takes the car to the deal and everything gets sorted out. Maybe they give her a loaner, maybe she sits on the couch and watches an episode of Judge Judy or a little CNN for a bit.

4) Your wife returns home with all the correct paperwork.

Life. It happens.
+1
No reason to "DEMAND" anything. They should be falling all over themselves to correct this error.

veggieburger
05-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Cicli, let us know the outcome. Very curious if this is an easy solution with a happy ending.

NHAero
05-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Fargo!

Where's Marge?

I'm sure the dealership would also like to get this straightened out, since they will most likely have an extra car and be missing one.

Ken Robb
05-01-2019, 10:22 AM
This happened to us when we bought our Mazda in 2014. All we had to do was phone the dealer and they got it all straightened out immediately. What Accord did you get? I'm loving my 2019 Civic Si. Because we are so pleased with our 2014 Mazda 3 we might have bought a new Mazda 3 but the latest model wasn't expected until late Spring and I didn't want to wait.

soulspinner
05-01-2019, 10:30 AM
This happened to us when we bought our Mazda in 2014. All we had to do was phone the dealer and they got it all straightened out immediately. What Accord did you get? I'm loving my 2019 Civic Si. Because we are so pleased with our 2014 Mazda 3 we might have bought a new Mazda 3 but the latest model wasn't expected until late Spring and I didn't want to wait.

+1...it should be nbd. I work at a Volvo dealership part time...it happens once in a great while. Interested in your Accord and have advice about the brand as I have one and next door neighbor is a 17 year Honda certified tech. If you have the time Im interested in what you think of it as I eventually have to replace my 15 year old car.

fmradio516
05-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Fargo!

Where's Marge?

:hello:

i really like that movie a lot. cant get my wife to finish it without her falling asleep.

Tickdoc
05-01-2019, 11:15 AM
I want a wife like yours!

No, really , kuddos to her for a great purchase. This happened to us when we bought our son's car sort of (also an accord, btw). I either threw away or never received the title in the mail and dealer had to reissue a new title. They gave me another paper tag for the delay and paid for the reissue.

Should be a simple correction on their part.

OtayBW
05-01-2019, 11:24 AM
So, a week ago my wife went and bought herself a new car. Paid cash and brought it home, all on her own. Pretty cool.I agree, but I'm wondering why the implied expectation was so low. Not knocking you, just curious.

BikeNY
05-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Something similar happened to my brother a few months back, but on a leased vehicle. They didn't find out until the police knocked on their door! Seems the dealership couldn't figure out where the car went, so they reported it stolen in order to activate the GPS locator, which means the police get involved. Seems the paperwork was for the correct car, but they gave them the wrong car, and it took them over a month to figure it out! They were told not to drive the car, as it was reported stolen. A few days later they swapped cars.

I still don't understand how they couldn't find it!

batman1425
05-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Is the car they invoiced a nicer one? Maybe just ask to swap for that one seeing as that's the one they sold you according to the paper work ;)

djg21
05-01-2019, 01:17 PM
+1
No reason to "DEMAND" anything. They should be falling all over themselves to correct this error.

You all beat me too it. This sounds to have been a clerical error. **** happens, and the Dealership will fix it. There is no need to be hostile at this point. In fact, the OP will be far better off maintaining a good relationship with the dealership. Something about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar?

Cicli
05-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Well, the dealer was great. This was our second purchase from them in about a month. So....... here is the result.
The wife called and spoke to the sales manager. He assured he would make it right. He caller her back in about an hour to send someone to the house with new paperwork for her to sign. She signed it and the rep left. No big deal. This afternoon they stopped by with copies of the paperwork she signed, not one but two sets of weather tech floor mats. One for the Accord and one for my Civic Si. And to top it off, a check for 1000.00 for our troubles. We asked for nothing but that they get it straightened out.
I am now a lifetime customer. :banana:

For whoever asked, she got a Accord Sport Touring in blue.
Mine is a Tonic yellow Civic Si coupe.

I have always liked Honda because they run. This dealer is new to us but we will always deal with them. Really straight up people that went above and beyond what they needed to do.

jtakeda
05-01-2019, 10:46 PM
Well, the dealer was great. This was our second purchase from them in about a month. So....... here is the result.
The wife called and spoke to the sales manager. He assured he would make it right. He caller her back in about an hour to send someone to the house with new paperwork for her to sign. She signed it and the rep left. No big deal. This afternoon they stopped by with copies of the paperwork she signed, not one but two sets of weather tech floor mats. One for the Accord and one for my Civic Si. And to top it off, a check for 1000.00 for our troubles. We asked for nothing but that they get it straightened out.
I am now a lifetime customer. :banana:

I have always liked Honda because they run. This dealer is new to us but we will always deal with them. Really straight up people that went above and beyond what they needed to do.

Wow. What a great dealer. I’d be thrilled to be inconvenienced in that way if that’s the result.

Matthew
05-01-2019, 11:26 PM
Wow that's great. Sounds like a top notch dealer for sure. Mats and 1k? Wow.

Ken Robb
05-02-2019, 09:36 AM

Is the shift linkage on your Civic the best you have ever used?

veggieburger
05-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Great outcome....love stories that end like this!

Cicli
05-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Is the shift linkage on your Civic the best you have ever used?

It works very nice.

kitsnob
05-03-2019, 04:43 PM
3 Best Manual Gear boxes (NOT IN ORDER):

BMW
MINI (SEE BMW ABOVE)
HONDA

muz
05-03-2019, 04:55 PM
And to top it off, a check for 1000.00 for our troubles.

I am a cynic, but if this happened to me, my thought would be "I guess we overpaid for the car"! :banana:

Ozz
05-03-2019, 06:02 PM
I am a cynic, but if this happened to me, my thought would be "I guess we overpaid for the car"! :banana:

Or, they want to make sure you give them top scores on the Honda survey.....

makoti
05-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Thoughts?

I bought my latest car in May. Pretty smooth. Saleslady was working her first sale (She didn't do much to make the sale). Her name was Linda. Take the car home, start to get all the stuff they mail you after you buy a car. Welcome to VW family, Sample Sirius, extend your warranty, blah, blah, blah. ALL of it addressed to...Linda. It took 3 months to get her name off my car.
Good luck. Hopefully this will be a lot smoother.

acorn_user
05-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Nicest box I've ever used was in an old 1998 Nissan Micra. So snick-snick :)

BMW
MINI (SEE BMW ABOVE)
HONDA

m4rk540
05-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Did she buy the car all by her lonesome in 2019?

Cicli
05-04-2019, 06:18 AM
Did she buy the car all by her lonesome in 2019?

What’s that supposed to mean?
Yeah, she did. Unusual for my wife. Believe me. We would do fine in the 50’s. She longs to be June Cleaver.

m4rk540
05-04-2019, 02:27 PM
https://www.hotcars.com/top-25-cars-women-buy-more-of-than-men/

bikinchris
05-04-2019, 04:32 PM

BMW
MINI (SEE BMW ABOVE)
HONDA

I bought a used Mustang II which needed a trans rebuild. The SR4 trans. After my brother and I went through the trans it was very sweet. Later, the clutch cable broke. I had no trouble whatsoever driving it home to replace the cable. Start it in gear and shifting through the gears and down shifting until taking it out of gear and coasting into the workspace at my dad's garage.

ldamelio
05-05-2019, 04:26 PM

BMW
MINI (SEE BMW ABOVE)
HONDA

There are 911 reasons that your list is incorrect.

Ken Robb
05-05-2019, 06:21 PM
There are 911 reasons that you list is incorrect.
I never heard anyone brag about delightful shifting in a 911. That might be the weakest part of a neat car.

TimD
05-06-2019, 09:08 AM
There are 911 reasons that your list is incorrect.

Perhaps more accurately there are 981, 982, 986, or 987 reasons that list is incorrect :)