PDA

View Full Version : Make wearing team kit cool again

Elefantino
05-01-2019, 05:35 AM
From Caley Fretz of CyclingTips:

Three or four years ago, at a product launch, I was handed a small baggie containing some brown and blue cloth I'd later learn was a team replica AG2R-La Mondiale kit. I laughed to myself as I opened it. Team kit?! Who wears pro team kit? Only posers and real pros wear team kit.

Two Julys ago I was standing in a parking lot off the back of the Izoard poking a text message to my editor back in Boulder when Romain Bardet stepped around the corner, climbed into the back of a white van, and sunk himself into an inflatable ice bath. He's just finished third on the day, and his face had been wiped off but his arms were still covered in dark brown dust. He put his head back and grimaced, just slightly, and with no helmet or glasses that grimace seemed, somehow, more real and more human than the ones we see on TV. I became a fan, I'll admit it.

I gave away that AG2R kit, shortly after I got it, at least a year before I saw Romain's grimace. Now I really wish I hadn't.

Pro bike racing is awesome. It's hard as hell and the guys and gals who do it are worth looking up to. I'm not entirely sure why we, the enlightened amateurs, are so opposed to wearing kit that supports our favorite teams, or our favorite riders. Is it because we feel we haven't earned it? Bollocks. That assumes someone will confuse us for the real thing, and, let's be honest, that ain't happening.

This weekend's Secret Groad, on Sunday, May 5, will have a couple real pros in attendance. They'll be in team kit, probably, because they have to be. I say we make them feel at home. Wear team kit, if you've got it. Old kit, new kit, whatever. A peloton of posers we may be, but we'll look damn fine.

dgauthier
05-01-2019, 05:46 AM
How is wearing your favorite rider's team kit any different than wearing your favorite football player's jersey, or whatever?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

(Edit: My wife would tell you the words "cool" and "cycling kit" never go anywhere near each other, so the whole question is nonsensical. Something about looking like a giant sperm, in the best of circumstances...)

oldpotatoe
05-01-2019, 06:36 AM
From Caley Fretz of CyclingTips:

Team kit? No problema..'Award' jerseys, like polkadot, maillot jaune, maglia rosa, WCS?? Nope, Nein, Nyet, never..IMHO, of course.

CunegoFan
05-01-2019, 06:37 AM
The snobbery around wearing team kit is asinine. Pro cycling is a sponsor-based sport. For their money the sponsors, the teams, and the riders would love tons of amateurs riding on roads while wearing their logos.

Veloo
05-01-2019, 06:51 AM
If we're telling people wear whatever you want, don't worry about what people think of you then why not for jerseys?
I used to have the overall TdF points jersey cuz I really liked the design with the yellow/ green/ red and polka dots.
Now I find myself considering the Reynolds jersey on Prendas cuz I was a fan of Delgado when I first got interested in the sport. ALso looking for an RMO and/or Systeme U jersey cuz I liked Mottet as well. Wished his red Rivat shoes fit me better. :)

biker72
05-01-2019, 07:10 AM
I don't care. Wear what you want.

Bob Ross
05-01-2019, 07:11 AM
How is wearing your favorite rider's team kit any different than wearing your favorite football player's jersey, or whatever?

Because no weekend warrior who likes to run the gridiron (flag, touch, or full-contact) is going to wear Tom Brady's jersey and his pants and his arm warmers and his helmet etc. etc. etc.

Likewise for the guys shooting hoops in their Jordan #23 jersey...they're not also wearing Jordan's #23 shorts and his #23 socks. (I'll concede that some of the more well-off fans also wore Jordan's shoes.)

Amateur cycling is the only athletic activity I've seen where fans embrace the full kit, head to toe. It's like Cosplay with heart-rate monitors.

jamesdak
05-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Because no weekend warrior who likes to run the gridiron (flag, touch, or full-contact) is going to wear Tom Brady's jersey and his pants and his arm warmers and his helmet etc. etc. etc.

Likewise for the guys shooting hoops in their Jordan #23 jersey...they're not also wearing Jordan's #23 shorts and his #23 socks. (I'll concede that some of the more well-off fans also wore Jordan's shoes.)

Amateur cycling is the only athletic activity I've seen where fans embrace the full kit, head to toe. It's like Cosplay with heart-rate monitors.

I think there's a lot of insecurity in people if they react to what someone else wears. I mean really, who cares? Live life and screw what other's think.

vincenz
05-01-2019, 07:20 AM

(Edit: My wife would tell you the words "cool" and "cycling kit" never go anywhere near each other, so the whole question is nonsensical. Something about looking like a giant sperm, in the best of circumstances...)

I duno, because people who wear players’ jerseys usually do so off the field and in casual wear, not while playing the sport, so it’s fine. At least that’s my take on it.

fignon's barber
05-01-2019, 07:25 AM
I don't get all judgmental about what others are wearing. I think it's rather interesting when you pass someone in some old team kits. The other day, I went by a guy in full Hitachi kit from the late 80's. I thought, "Style!".

Plum Hill
05-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Ooh...how do you feel about Carrera bibs?

Elefantino
05-01-2019, 07:32 AM
Team kit? No problema..'Award' jerseys, like polkadot, maillot jaune, maglia rosa, WCS?? Nope, Nein, Nyet, never..IMHO, of course.
This surprises me. Isn't this just paying homage to the sport?

Aside, sort of: When I wore my pink Mercatone kit climbing the Stelvio during the 2017 Giro I received many, many "Vai Pantani!" or "Vai DuMoulin!" cries that to me seemed good-natured and supportive. And when I got to the top I was a popular guy!

Blown Reek
05-01-2019, 07:36 AM
When I wore my pink Mercatone kit climbing the Stelvio during the 2017 Giro I received many, many "Vai Pantani!" or "Vai DuMoulin!" cries that to me seemed good-natured and supportive. And when I got to the top I was a popular guy!

That's because the cycling culture in Europe is different than here. In the U.S., you might as well be the Lampre Guy if you're wearing a pro kit.

https://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/500/medium/fatguyinspandex.jpg

charliedid
05-01-2019, 07:37 AM
I'm going all in on US Postal commemorative kit this season.

Elefantino
05-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Ooh...how do you feel about Carrera bibs?
Or this. I draw the line at this! :eek:

(There is actually a full, unworn kit at HQ but even I wouldn't wear it.)

Elefantino
05-01-2019, 07:49 AM
That's because the cycling culture in Europe is different than here. In the U.S., you might as well be the Lampre Guy if you're wearing a pro kit.
True, to a large degree.

Why do you think that is?

oldpotatoe
05-01-2019, 07:50 AM
This surprises me. Isn't this just paying homage to the sport?

Aside, sort of: When I wore my pink Mercatone kit climbing the Stelvio during the 2017 Giro I received many, many "Vai Pantani!" or "Vai DuMoulin!" cries that to me seemed good-natured and supportive. And when I got to the top I was a popular guy!

Europe, no doubt but go to the basketball courts at the local park, any cityUSA, where lotsa pickup games are played and come dressed like Lebron and see what happens..:)

wallymann
05-01-2019, 07:55 AM
people that have an "issue" with civilians wearing pro team kits need to get a life.

we're fans of the sport, why should we be judged for wearing the uniforms of the riders and teams we support?!

does someone actually think i'm trying to impersonate deVlaeminck?!

http://brown-snout.com/cycling/bikes/gazelle_aa-special/maiden-voyage/IMGP0475.JPG

Blown Reek
05-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Why do you think that is?

As an American, I can only assume that since we're the Best Country On Earth, we know things that lesser countries don't.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to refill my 44oz soda at the gas station, hit up a few pain clinics for my meds, and roll coal on some cyclists. brb.

vincenz
05-01-2019, 08:35 AM
I think we need a European to chime in on this to see if there really is a difference in the way this is perceived.

Mzilliox
05-01-2019, 08:37 AM
just dont wear white kits after labor day right?

who cares about any of this crap? you like a team kit, wear it.

you dont like team kits or have a hangup on nostalgia and the symbolism of an inanimate object, cool dont wear them.

i wear mismatched armsleeves and socks too

unterhausen
05-01-2019, 08:48 AM
I think there's a lot of insecurity in people if they react to what someone else wears. I mean really, who cares? Live life and screw what other's think.This is the way I feel. And for some reason, it has spilled over into the general population. I was riding in my club jersey, which has zero advertising but a couple of organization logos, and some hiker in the woods made a snide comment about it.

Team kit? No problema..'Award' jerseys, like polkadot, maillot jaune, maglia rosa, WCS?? Nope, Nein, Nyet, never..IMHO, of course.the humor of me wearing the pokadot jersey has appealed to me. Even when I was a lightweight in good condition, as a climber I was a good descender.

Matthew
05-01-2019, 09:07 AM
I bought a couple of Novo Nordisk bibs this winter because the price was right and they are good quality. And I'll admit I liked the little Colnago logo on them and the color as they matched my bike and a Capo jersey I have. Gonna wear the crap out of them and don't care what others think. Team shorts, matching color but different brand non team jersey! Oh noooo!

FlashUNC
05-01-2019, 09:12 AM
Current team kit? No. But if you've got defunct team kit, that's cool.

To OldP's point, there's a video that made the rounds a couple years ago of a guy who showed up to a pickup game in full Chicago Bulls uni from 1996. Specifically Jordans.

He was, uh, not received well.

rccardr
05-01-2019, 09:14 AM
I wear team kit with impunity.

The more obscure, the better.

prototoast
05-01-2019, 09:17 AM
I like the idea of wearing pro team kits to support your favorite team, but the logistics of it just don't make any sense. Teams change team names and kit designs far too often. As has just happened with Sky->Ineos, this can even happen in the middle of the season. BMC had a decent run of stability but the current EF team has changed its name every year of its existence. My Red Sox jersey from 20 years ago is still relevant, not a single world tour cycling team from that time has the same name.

unterhausen
05-01-2019, 09:17 AM
I was at the bike shop when someone showed up in a U.S. Postal speed suit that probably fit him a bit better when he bought it. No to that.

I bought the Randonneurs USA jersey and matching shorts. When I wear them together, people come running out of their houses to salute the flag and stand at attention. Didn't think it would be so gaudy. https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1T100UH
https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1B10097
I usually don't wear them together, but maybe I will in France

hummus_aquinas
05-01-2019, 09:18 AM
I don't have any strong opinions on it although it reminds me of the guy that plays pick up games in full 90s Jordan gear which is pretty hilarious.

If it feels good, do it.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PnXhHP92zYc/sddefault.jpg#404_is_fine

tv_vt
05-01-2019, 09:28 AM
If my La Vie Claire jersey was full zip, I'd probably still wear it.

wallymann
05-01-2019, 09:48 AM
My Red Sox jersey from 20 years ago is still relevant, not a single world tour cycling team from that time has the same name.

i guess i shouldnt wear my brooklyn dodgers jersey, lest i be stoned to death for committing the sin of "irrelevant apparel".

https://scontent.fdet1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13501874_10208772546862905_7341145074096424608_n.j pg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.fna&oh=294353d1831a797f223031d3b6b15ad3&oe=5D395D3C

Seramount
05-01-2019, 09:54 AM
my personal fashion rules allow pro jerseys (if the team is no longer in competition) and providing the colors go with the bike.

no full kits, that's tacky overkill (besides, I only wear black shorts).

have never had anyone say anything negative about my sartorial selections.

bicycletricycle
05-01-2019, 09:57 AM
I would wear team kit if they made some in wool. Nothing wrong with being a fan of a team or rider.

gdw
05-01-2019, 10:01 AM

This. Wear what you want but it just seems kind of strange to some of us.

PS- I have a trunk full of uniforms left over from my time in the military. Apparently some of it is popular with the "living historians" who like to play soldier. Anyone interested?:banana:

Elefantino
05-01-2019, 10:45 AM
just dont wear white kits after labor day right?

Unless you are Mathieu Van der Poel.

i wear mismatched armsleeves and socks too

But do you ride like Michael Woods? With just one leg warmer?

https://images.app.goo.gl/7SKaE9knswTP4BQj6

makoti
05-01-2019, 11:22 AM

None of those sports are things you can do by yourself & stand out. The culture of the "matchy-matchy" peacock is strong in amateur cycling, almost as much as tennis used to be.
So you have those who will happily wear current or vintage team gear (I wear gear from amateur teams I don't belong to & are a LONG way from my house, but no pro), or those who obsess about what others do AND wouldn't be caught dead out there with less than 6" sock heights.
Anyone who confuses me with a Pro cyclist when I'm on the road likely shouldn't be out without supervision, anyway.

BRad704
05-01-2019, 11:38 AM
This all reminds me... where can I pick up a commemorative World Champion Bora Sagan kit? I've got some local races coming up. :banana:

I'm nobody around here, but that was a joke. I like the vintage team kits, but I have my own amateur team kits to wear anyway.

johnniecakes
05-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Really doesn't matter to me, just so you wear something. I also ride with sleeveless jerseys when it gets hot in summer. Some frown this also, but I don't care, I still wear them cause it is much cooler (temperature wise)

marciero
05-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Never, ever for me. No judgements on those who chose to though.

choke
05-01-2019, 04:10 PM
I used to wear them, not so much now but that's due to the fact that I seldom wear anything other than wool jerseys these days. I do have a wool Cinzano jersey on the way though. :) I never owned a full kit though.

Ooh...how do you feel about Carrera bibs?I had a pair of those back in the day and I loved them. I'd have no problem wearing them now.

Black Dog
05-01-2019, 04:29 PM

To OldP's point, there's a video that made the rounds a couple years ago of a guy who showed up to a pickup game in full Chicago Bulls uni from 1996. Specifically Jordans.

He was, uh, not received well.

Thats my take on it. Older teams (retro) jerseys are neat. If a current team wants me to advertise their sponsors then they can send me a jersey and a cheque. I will not hold my breath. ;) I do not in any way worry about or care what others wear or don't wear, it really is their business and effects me in no way. I just am not a fan boy of anything really and would feel odd in full team kit.

kppolich
05-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Everyone is free to do what they want.

Retro, solid colors, or my current cycling team kit only for me.

-KP

Michael Maddox
05-02-2019, 08:25 AM
I used to wear team kit. But after thinking about it, I decided that I really don't have the game to wear it comfortably. Without the strength and skills, you end up looking like a cosplayer. If you want to support your favorite teams, wear their casual stuff...a polo or a t-shirt or a jacket.

Of course, all this goes out the window at an Eroica. Ride that classic bike in full regalia. That IS a cosplay event.

No hate for those who love it...I just don't do it anymore.

Dave B
05-02-2019, 08:38 AM
I understand the snobbery of some roadies (specific to them) that wearing pro team kits are a fashion faux paux.

Let me give you a different take, now remember I have absolute zero concern for people who don't like the stuff I like, be it China stuff, muscle cars, whatever.

So with out getting too deep here goes:

If you value yourself depending on what people say about you, both good and bad, you will never form your own opinion of yourself and that is what leads to potentially serious problems. If you look at yourself at the end of the day in the mirror and say that you did the best you could that day then what else matters? No one's opinion of you matters more than your own. Live your life as though it is the only one you have and if others do not like what you are doing, it tends to be their issue not yours.

I am far from perfect and live in the protected world of academics, so take that with a grain of salt, but I still think is rings true.

Wear the kit for whatever you want if it makes you happy.

Cheers

Dave

tctyres
05-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Of all the jerseys, maybe the polka dot TdF KOM one is the most iconic. I love blowing by people who wear that.

I don't wear team kit for a team I'm not on. It's not my thing. That said, there are some that are truly iconic. I wound up behind a guy wearing that zebra-striped stuff on Monday and was like: Woah! Also, I passed a guy in full team Italy kit -- I have less of an issue with national kit.

Mark McM
05-02-2019, 10:19 AM
I wear team kit nearly every time I ride. But it is the team kit for the local club I belong to.

If some pro team was willing to compensate me in some way, I'd wear pro team kit. Otherwise, I see no reason to put out the cash for the kit of a team I get nothing in return from.

William
05-02-2019, 10:33 AM

I kind of run the same way. No problem at all with team kits etc... National Championship jerseys, World Championship jerseys, etc...not going to wear those. The former racer in me says; "I didn't earn it so I'm not going to wear it".

But that's just me...

W.

redir
05-02-2019, 10:40 AM

Right but what about wearing your pro hockey jersey while playing hockey?

Bradford
05-02-2019, 11:19 AM

I played adult hockey in two groups for 20 years in Boston before moving out west. For the most part it was the same group of guys, but new people came in out every year. We only cared about two things: can the dude play and is he a jerk. If you can play and are a good dude, it doesn't matter what you wear. If you can't play or if you are a jerk, it also doesn't matter what you wear.

That being said, there was a high correlation between talent and gear. For the most part, the better skaters used old, beat up gear that we had been wearing for a long time, some of it since high school. For most of us, it was common to have our stuff held together with duct tape, patches, and bad sewing jobs. Also, for the most part, when a guy showed up in new equipment, or in a nice Bruins jersey, he couldn't skate. Those guys usually didn't last. There were exceptions, but as a rule, the way you looked was inversely proportional to talent. Or, in cycling terms, it wasn't about the bike.

For most of my time with those skates, I had two ratty jerseys, one white and one a darker color, both of which looked like I stole them from a homeless guy and smelled even worse. Towards the end, I got my hands on a jersey from my college team when the varsity was selling that year's game unis as a fund raiser. I wore that for the last few years and the only comments I heard were compliments. Because the only thing that mattered was whether or not I could skate. I think growing up in this environment is one of the reasons I find the peacockery of cycling so ridiculous.

Wear what makes you happy, who cares what people think.

Clean39T
05-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Don't care what others do, but I'm definitely partial to muted tones and simple colors these days - little to no logos, etc.

Isadore, Eliel, etc.

m4rk540
05-02-2019, 11:40 AM
Love team kit. It's a good way to know which wheels to avoid on big group rides. Maybe, a positive form of snobism. Well, actually not snobism as I feel all cycling kit is somewhat bizarre. But most seem to follow the silly rules and give up pro team kit as they become more knowledgeable about road riding culture.

As for vintage team kit, it's the reverse. Those are the guys you know have been riding for 30 plus years. And the best riders only seem to wear the jerseys and caps. I can't imagine vintage or repro team kit bibs being comfortable.

Ronsonic
05-02-2019, 09:05 PM
my personal fashion rules allow pro jerseys (if the team is no longer in competition) and providing the colors go with the bike.

no full kits, that's tacky overkill (besides, I only wear black shorts).

have never had anyone say anything negative about my sartorial selections.

Sounds a lot like my personal rules. I've got one team jersey and it matches the frame livery, otherwise it's just colors and black bibs. Seem to have ended up with a white shoes and helmet. But all matchy is a bit idolatry or something.

tsarpepe
05-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Comparisons with hockey, football, or basketball are flawed IMO. With those jerseys, you're really only flying your team's colors. Cycling kits are so different. Some can have upwards of dozen sponsors of them; and more often than not the team's name is itself a business unrelated to cycling. So, if you really look at it, you are not at all supporting a team, but advertising a bunch of brand names; and, unlike the cyclists you admire, you are not getting paid for it. For me, that's a turn off enough...

jp!
05-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Don't care what others do, but I'm definitely partial to muted tones and simple colors these days - little to no logos, etc.

Isadore, Eliel, etc.

^ This

rlanger
05-02-2019, 10:16 PM
I really don't care what people choose to wear, or ride for that matter, as long as they aren't jerks and take their turn at the front of the paceline.

I have an old Cervelo Test Team Jersey that I'll occasionally, wear. It's an amazing Castelli racing cut jersey that was my very first cycling jersey.

But the rest of my kit these days is very simple non-team stuff.

Matthew
05-03-2019, 01:30 AM
Ha! Bradford's hockey analogy is 100% spot on with what I've found playing here in Michigan. Used to play drop in with a few former local and a couple brief NHL pros. Their gear was always on its last leg. Beat up and mismatched. But man those cats could play. And their stories were even better. Miss those days on the ice.

Powerful Pete
05-03-2019, 06:48 AM
I think we need a European to chime in on this to see if there really is a difference in the way this is perceived.

Resident Yuroopean here (honestly don't know how many others of us there are here).

IMHO we (at least in Southern Europe) tend to wear more team kits - both pro and local. Always wore whatever I wanted, even from current pro teams, as long as it wasn't a winning jersey (pink, polka dots, etc). This conveyed who you were a fan of - proudly wore full Pantani kit in years gone by including the blue jeans bibs for quite some time and thought nothing of it, as an example.

I was rather surprised by the US/Anglo dark colors aesthetic which seem to be the cool thing on this side of the pond and in Northern Europe.

parco
05-03-2019, 11:38 AM
The club I used to ride with had a polka dot jersey that got awarded to the best climber on that weeks ride. It really came down to these two guys who were both great climbers and would challenge each other every week for the rights to wear the jersey. It was all in fun but it gave us something to ride for even though none of use could climb as well as those two guys.

makoti
05-03-2019, 12:19 PM
IMHO we (at least in Southern Europe) tend to wear more team kits - both pro and local.

One thing I always enjoyed doing on my trips to Italy was shopping for "store kit", stuff that the store team (every decent shop has one) wore. I never thought twice about wearing it. Sponsors, shop name all over it, who cares. If it looked sharp, I'd buy it.
I once had a Motorola jersey. Wore it all the time. No one ever confused me with an actual team member

rides2slow
05-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Was it ever cool?