PDA

View Full Version : Spooky Mulholland vs. Low mki Road

savechief
04-30-2019, 11:39 PM
I started this thread (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225175) last year to solicit opinions on what I should replace my dependable, but slightly annoying (bottom bracket, primarily) and boring CAAD10 with. This is pretty low on my priority list, but I've narrowed it down to the Mulholland and mki road, and I'm wondering what people think.

- I love the Spooky signature purple
- I prefer the 120mm stem that I would run on a 56cm Mulholland vs. the 110cm stem that I would run on a 57cm mki road
- I prefer the painted fork on the Mulholland, though I suspect Low would paint the fork for extra money
- The welds: The two are just about the polar opposites (Spooky = chunky, Low = super smooth), but I prefer the smooth welds on the Low

Pinned
05-01-2019, 12:26 AM
Not boutique, but the CAAD12 is a phenomenal bike. If you prefer the LOW, do they not offer a custom geo to get things fitted with the stem length you like? FTW used to do custom and may still offer it if the Spooky is your choice (though nothing wrong with the Spooky off the rack, it's a nice bike too).

GonaSovereign
05-01-2019, 06:09 AM
I have an opinion.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32804974897_10faac872e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RYS58t)Spooky (https://flic.kr/p/RYS58t)

Rides very nicely; wheels are in the right place. Well built. Takes 27s and 28s. And the world is a sunnier place when your bike is anodized 3DV.

Bentley
05-01-2019, 06:31 AM
You can get one built by FTW for the same money and built to your specs. I’m sure it can be anodized the same color.

ikecycke
05-01-2019, 08:17 AM
You can get one built by FTW for the same money and built to your specs. I’m sure it can be anodized the same color.

Spooky is built by FTW....just gussied up with some fancy anodizing and a geometry that they know works.

simonov
05-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Not boutique, but the CAAD12 is a phenomenal bike. If you prefer the LOW, do they not offer a custom geo to get things fitted with the stem length you like? FTW used to do custom and may still offer it if the Spooky is your choice (though nothing wrong with the Spooky off the rack, it's a nice bike too).

Low offers custom geo for a $200 additional charge. They're both good options, though. Also, though it's a little more cash, the Gaulzetti Interclub is exceptional, fully custom, and can be configured any number of ways (disc/rim, ISP/seatpost, mechanical/electronic).

Bentley
05-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Spooky is built by FTW....just gussied up with some fancy anodizing and a geometry that they know works.

I know, and he will build a custom Mulholland, just ask. That said, he really does want to fit the bike to the rider, so even if you ask for an Aluminum bike he might steer you to a steel one. :)

oldturd
05-01-2019, 10:48 AM
i have a mulholland and i love it. however, a replacement i would consider for this bike would be the mki as i'm really curious on the ride. not much help, i know. lol

i'm sure gonasovereign can second my opinion but the bike rides very well- quite compliant, but also very responsive once you're off the saddle. for comparison sake, i've stopped riding my litespeed t3 as i found the ride on the spooky almost as compliant (almost.... ).

it also helps that the mulholland has a near horizontal TT which is pleasing to my eye..

dpdan93
05-01-2019, 10:54 AM
i have a mulholland and i love it. however, a replacement i would consider for this bike would be the mki as i'm really curious on the ride. not much help, i know. lol

i'm sure gonasovereign can second my opinion but the bike rides very well- quite compliant, but also very responsive once you're off the saddle. for comparison sake, i've stopped riding my litespeed t3 as i found the ride on the spooky almost as compliant (almost.... ).

it also helps that the mulholland has a near horizontal TT which is pleasing to my eye..

horizontal TT = life

oldturd
05-01-2019, 01:13 PM
horizontal TT = life

:beer:

romalor
05-01-2019, 03:10 PM
standert kreissage is a nice option too
no anodising still