PDA

View Full Version : OT: Homeowners insurance - dog nip

buddybikes
04-30-2019, 07:43 PM
Homeowners insurance... Few years ago one of our pups was outside on lead, normal backyard dug up due to new septic. Kid surprised him and to make long story short - he nipped. Father took to primary (was just a scratch) but the mess began, quarantine, etc. No, ZERO, claims made, not even primary care visit. Now trying to get new homeowners insurance and we can't get it. He is a managed dog in fenced area, has dog walker, but sometimes thing happen. What have others done, does it get to point of rehoming our favorite son or can we get saved somehow. He is a 5 year old American Eskimo Thx

Ken Robb
04-30-2019, 07:46 PM
Homeowners insurance... Few years ago one of our pups was outside on lead, normal backyard dug up due to new septic. Kid surprised him and to make long story short - he nipped. Father took to primary (was just a scratch) but the mess began, quarantine, etc. No, ZERO, claims made, not even primary care visit. Now trying to get new homeowners insurance and we can't get it. He is a managed dog in fenced area, has dog walker, but sometimes thing happen. What have others done, does it get to point of rehoming our favorite son or can we get saved somehow. He is a 5 year old American Eskimo Thx

Check with independent insurance broker to see if they know of a company who will insure you with the dog. You mean the insurer you had at the time of the nip kept you for five incident-free years and now won't renew?

buddybikes
04-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Done that with 2 local agencies

AngryScientist
04-30-2019, 07:49 PM
are any of the carriers willing to quote you minus ANY dog related coverage?

buddybikes
04-30-2019, 08:03 PM
...not yet :-(

We haven't had a claim in decades, this is causing extreme anxiety in household. Wife is a CPA, very conservative approach to living. (not voting) Threatened to throw dog out this afternoon while he was snuggling up to her. I had massive panic attack, one of those wondering if it is the ticker. Anyone here had similar experiences and what you've done?

glepore
04-30-2019, 08:11 PM
Too issues-a) is it an "excluded" breed-ie pit, cane corso etc.?
b) the "one bite" rule. In most jurisdictions, if the dog isn't at large, you have zero liability unless the dog has "known vicious propensities" or in layspeak, has bitten someone before. Now that you have the one bite, the risk is exponentially greater.

So, that it explains it but doesn't help. My s/o will tell ya its par for my course.

ultraman6970
04-30-2019, 10:02 PM
Maybe one forumite wants to take your baby???

Second question, where are you located???

Asking because maybe a forumite wants to take care of him you know. Did you ask your friends? maybe a friend with a farm?

makoti
04-30-2019, 10:12 PM
No claims made, no payments made out. How did they even hear about it?
Many years ago, I had a dog I owned bite a neighbor. We were sued. Ins Co settled for a pittance (it was more of a scratch than a bite, but the victim had a lawyer daughter so suing was too easy). We got continued coverage, even after that. Denying you for this seems crazy.

rwsaunders
05-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Most insurance underwriters give you a one and done regarding dog bites as others have stated and your breed might be excluded from coverage in general. Over $500M in dog bite claims paid out last year in the US so you can see why an insurance company might be cautious.

Louis
05-01-2019, 01:13 AM
Few years ago one of our pups was outside on lead, normal backyard dug up due to new septic. Kid surprised him and to make long story short - he nipped.

What's especially frustrating is that that's what dogs were bred to do - defend the home against outsiders. To hold that against the dog seems to me to be particularly unfair.

buddybikes
05-01-2019, 05:12 AM
>No claims made, no payments made out. How did they even hear about it?

We were renewing our insurance, asking our agent to find better deal. They appeared to find one, and she ran std questions by my wife on phone. this came up and she explained, that was the end.

Rehoming, I can't fathom. He is a good dog, I work from home and is my "son".

I have been bitten many times by neighbors dogs, blood running down my leg. I asked about having their shots, once that went home and cleaned it.

We are in Rhode Island, the nip happened in MA while we were prepping our house for sale.

thx

buddybikes
05-01-2019, 05:34 AM
American eskimo, just between a mini and standard. Only breed we have ever owned. We have a female also which we "rescued" who is a sweatheart.

ultraman6970
05-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Sweet animal... :)

clyde the point
05-01-2019, 09:09 AM
This is a confusing story. From what I can tell, you told on yourselves for no reason and now there is a record of that conversation and it's keeping you from obtaining coverage. Not sure why the story was told but wow the consequences are overwhelming. Seems to me that someone needs to correct your "insurance profile" somehow and be careful about what you say to people who have control over your insure-ability in the future.

makoti
05-01-2019, 10:18 AM
American eskimo, just between a mini and standard. Only breed we have ever owned. We have a female also which we "rescued" who is a sweatheart.

That's a good looking dog. No way I'd give him up. There has to be a workable answer. Good luck.

AngryScientist
05-01-2019, 10:22 AM
That's a good looking dog. No way I'd give him up. There has to be a workable answer. Good luck.

absolutely. once you're in the family, you're in the family. No one gets "re-homed" in my book.

jds108
05-01-2019, 10:46 AM
If it was me, I'd just try to get insurance and not have any dog related coverage in that insurance.

When I took out my umbrella policy, there was a big premium to cover my boats, and I decided to just not include the boats under the umbrella. Maybe homeowner's doesn't work that way, but I'd sure check on it.

snah
05-01-2019, 11:32 AM
If it was me, I'd just try to get insurance and not have any dog related coverage in that insurance.

When I took out my umbrella policy, there was a big premium to cover my boats, and I decided to just not include the boats under the umbrella. Maybe homeowner's doesn't work that way, but I'd sure check on it.

There are carriers that will allow you to exclude the dog from liability, my company does it, but I'm not local to you. That breed is not one I've ever seen on an excluded list either.

zmalwo
05-01-2019, 12:38 PM
Seems like a sweet boy, I'd do anything to keep him. It reminds me of an old military saying, don't ask don't tell.

PQJ
05-01-2019, 12:58 PM
We were renewing our insurance, asking our agent to find better deal. They appeared to find one, and she ran std questions by my wife on phone. this came up and she explained, that was the end.

Maybe it is time for a new agent and a different story (read: no story) when the issue comes up. (Yes, that could loosely be construed as an encouragement to commit insurance fraud, but this is America circa 2019 and it seems as if lying, cheating, stealing and defrauding are now de rigueur).

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I say seriously or literally, nor should this be construed as legal advice.

m4rk540
05-01-2019, 01:16 PM
This is a confusing story. From what I can tell, you told on yourselves for no reason and now there is a record of that conversation and it's keeping you from obtaining coverage. Not sure why the story was told but wow the consequences are overwhelming. Seems to me that someone needs to correct your "insurance profile" somehow and be careful about what you say to people who have control over your insure-ability in the future.

Similar to admitting to having smoked a cigarette on a health or life insurance form. One cig ever = smoker's premium.

Maybe it is time for a new agent and a different story (read: no story) when the issue comes up. (Yes, that could loosely be construed as an encouragement to commit insurance fraud, but this is America circa 2019 and it seems as if lying, cheating, stealing and defrauding are now de rigueur).

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I say seriously or literally, nor should this be construed as legal advice.

White lies are the new (necessary) truth.

PQJ
05-01-2019, 02:02 PM
White lies are the new (necessary) truth.

Got it. As for cigarettes, I just tell them I never exhaled. Works every time.

vincenz
05-01-2019, 02:13 PM
We have one too, though his bark is definitely worse than his bite... Hope you get it sorted.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190501/1b6e881c3f12102092bade401d013cb6.jpg

Chris
05-01-2019, 03:11 PM
We had a Doberman that never hurt anyone other than licking them too much. Because of the breed, we had a "vicious dog" exclusion or something, but were still able to insure. That was through AAA.

buddybikes
05-01-2019, 03:57 PM
Thx for the advise, think we can sort this out.

Beautiful Eskie there, yes barking is the norm which we have lived with for 20 years (my female currently sitting on bed looking outside at someone, alerting me)

Rpoole8537
05-02-2019, 07:29 PM
I recently read an article that informed me about CLUE, Comprehensive Loss Underwriters Exchange. It sounds like a "credit bureau" for insurance scores. My GF filed a water damage claim that was not denied, and asked about another claim, never filed the second claim. She was suddenly uninsurable. Before that, 30 years of paying premiums without a claim. She ended up buying catastrophic insurance at a high rate. I suspect she was on the CLUE list. You may want to see if you are on the list and why.
Does anyone know more about this list?