PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake tiers/ranking

cribbit
04-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Recently started looking at the world of hydraulic disc brakes. Realizing there's way more options here than other components as several brands pop up that don't make other components. Plus there's a lot of older lines that are hard to find release dates on. For mechanical I've always been able to just go for a bb7 or trp spyre, hydraulic seems to have a much wider range.

Are there any good resources for understanding the tiers of brakes without reading a bajillion review/comparison articles?

NHAero
04-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Shimano XT hydro brakes have been an industry standard, which you'll see on high end MTB bikes even if the drive train is SRAM. SRAM uses DOT brake fluid, Shimano uses mineral oil, which I prefer as a more benign fluid.

Of course, Campy is better :-)

I don't see a reason to go to boutique disc brakes.

Recently started looking at the world of hydraulic disc brakes. Realizing there's way more options here than other components as several brands pop up that don't make other components. Plus there's a lot of older lines that are hard to find release dates on. For mechanical I've always been able to just go for a bb7 or trp spyre, hydraulic seems to have a much wider range.

Are there any good resources for understanding the tiers of brakes without reading a bajillion review/comparison articles?

vqdriver
04-30-2019, 02:42 PM
Road or mtb?
If mtb, no reason to get too cute. Shimano or sram guides.
Nothing wrong with magura but no need to either.

NHAero
04-30-2019, 03:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I'm running the same post mount Shimano XT hydro calipers on my FS 29er, my 26er drop bar conversion and my all-rounder road bike. Reasonably priced, work great, easy to bleed, mineral oil fluid. Don't have a flat mount frame/fork so not up on the choices there.

Road or mtb?

KonaSS
04-30-2019, 03:40 PM
Road or mtb?

This x 1000.

dookie
04-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Bigger distinguish may be 'feel'. Shimano tend to be more on/off (firm), which some people like. Magura is known for more modulation (squish), which some other people like. I believe SRAM is closer to Shimano, but I have no personal experience.

Myself, I'm a Magura fan. MT8 and MT Trail in the house. The Trail is a hell of a value in my opinion. Magura also uses mineral oil, BTW.

Jaybee
04-30-2019, 04:32 PM
No extensive experience with Magura, though I've heard good things. My Guide RSC brakes feel amazing on the trail. Great modulation, power when asked for, much less off/on than Shimano. Not stoked about bleeding them though, when the time comes.

If you're new to this, I'd almost always recommend SLX or XT. Fantastic brakes, good price points, easy and infrequent maintenance.