PDA

View Full Version : EP-NO? Anybody?

Bill Bove
12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Has anybody tried this supplement yet? One of my salesmen just gave me a bottle as a sample/holiday gift. Will it make me go schitzo?

paulh
12-04-2006, 01:49 PM
It's a distinct possibility.

fiamme red
12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
I just did a Google search and I came up with a seller called "Svelte Cycles (http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/sveltecycles/Categories?category=Energy+Supplements)." Anyone here heard of them? ;)

Spicoli
12-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm afraid to admit this, but I almost tried that? Makes sense if it actually works? Someone was selling it fairly cheap, but I chickened out at the last minute. Give it a try and let me/us know if you have any results, its mostly beet root I think which is kinda like overdosing on iron pills? If you start growing hair in funny places or any other freaky stuff pls take some photos of the abnormalities so we can get a good laugh in! :banana:

swoop
12-04-2006, 02:05 PM
just take some good ole american iron supplements. in theory it should raise your hematocrit level... as long as your doc says it's ok.

znfdl
12-04-2006, 03:13 PM
I'd prefer a good dry-aged ribeye.

Fat Robert
12-04-2006, 03:54 PM
i've talked to three dudes who get paid to ride their bike who all use this stuff...they say the same thing -- that over time it helps you recover a little bit better and train a bit harder...ymmv

one of the guys sells the stuff

two of the guys don't

fwiw

Too Tall
12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm having a Yogi Berra moment bro. Didn't we talk about this garbage before? Walk to the waste can and insert fake supplements asap. Don't put that cr@p in your body. xxxooo, Too Tall.

morty
12-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm with Too Tall, don't mess with it :no:

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

djg
12-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Asking around is not a bad way to collect isolated annecdotal evidence, but if you want to know what the stuff might or might not do to you, there's really no good substitute to well-designed, large-scale, clinical trials data, of the sort FDA routinely requires for Rx drugs, but routinely does NOT require for dietary supplements. Such large scale trials are not perfect indicators of either efficacy or safety, for all sorts of reasons, but they tend to be pretty good ones and, absent funny business, they're about the best we know how to do.

Some countries have slightly greater data requirements for certain categories of what we'd consider "dietary supplements," (notably, Germany), so if you don't find much of anything here, you could try looking there, but without lots of public, and publicly scrutinized, experience with the stuff, I'd be inclined to avoid it myself. Inclined in a big way.

cpg
12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm with Josh on this. If you're not making a living riding your bike why even consider it? I know it's only some stupid supplemet crap and most likely is harmless but why bother.

Curt

Birddog
12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Do they sell it at WalMart?

Birddog

A.L.Breguet
12-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Ya know, the name and ad banners alone should be enough of a turn-off.
It suggests that the makers are trying to sell to people who would take epo or whatever if it wasn't banned. Is this an American thing or what. You know a pill for everything. Why not eat right and train smarter?
On a somewhat related note, there is an energy drink for sale called "cocaine", the print on the can says it is the legal alternative. ***?
:no:

BillyBear
12-05-2006, 09:51 AM
...screw it, my basic tenet is beware of anything that might cause "certain sexual side effects"...I'm fast enough and recover fast enough for me, and don't want any "side effects".

toaster
12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
EP-NO?

No, stupid product.

Sportlegs?

Hmm, yeah. It's got a catchy name and I want my legs to be sporty.

That's the logic behind impluse buying and passing along anecdotal advice about dietary supplements.