PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cell phone batteries

cmbicycles
04-29-2019, 09:58 PM
I have a Samsung galaxy s4 that I am needing to recharge a couple times a day. I am not streaming or playing games so not really overuseage. I am thinking about replacing the battery to extend it's use time between charges. A quick check shows myriad "authentic" oem etc fakes abound, so any other choices to consider for reputable companies?

kppolich
04-29-2019, 10:08 PM
GS4 was released 6 years ago and had a 2600 mAh Li-ion battery when new.

Compared to the GS10+ that just came out with a 4100mAh.

Time for a new phone or a bigger than stock replacement battery.This one is 5400mAh and comes with a new back since it is thicker. 200+5 star ratings
https://gorillagadgets.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s4-5400mah-extended-life-battery-w-nfc?variant=367853783&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwwZrmBRA7EiwA4iMzBMt9BWQoLczIK6oGOxSl biW-MVtEIVvLIrrfTLqvyEsXSj2gUZofhRoCW50QAvD_BwE

peanutgallery
04-29-2019, 10:12 PM
New battery? I'm confused

Pretty sure that thing is gas powered and is equipped with a pull start:)

pbarry
04-29-2019, 10:20 PM
Bought a few of off ebay for Motorola phones I owned several years ago. Had great luck and got lots of use after replacement. Ready to pull the trigger on a battery for my Nexus after suffering through several months with a backup LG.. Find a good seller with 99% feedback or better.

likebikes
04-30-2019, 12:20 AM
s4? wow

54ny77
04-30-2019, 01:02 AM
For a fun parlor trick, smash that thing several times with a hammer, wait for it to get warm, then toss it in a big Orange home Depot bucket half filled with water.

godfrey1112000
04-30-2019, 05:11 AM

I never have to charge my tin cans and string:eek:

chris7ed
04-30-2019, 06:12 AM
I had an old phone and thought why should I update it works great. I did update. I was wrong. Old phone was slow and the screen wasn't clear... Get a new one.

vav
04-30-2019, 06:42 AM
OP, I was in the same boat a few months ago.(S5 though) Bought this Power Bear : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VSP8PXH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far so good. Whereas like you, I had to charge twice a day, now at the end of the day I am still around 35-40 %

mktng
04-30-2019, 08:25 AM
zero lemon makes great aftermarket batteries for samsung.
had them for my older S3. which i loved. thought id never want to upgrade....i had the ridiculous 7400mah extended battery. it was overkill...

but to echo what some people are saying... get a new phone.

you can pick up a S7 Edge for next to nothing these days. amazing battery life. super nice display

MattTuck
04-30-2019, 08:38 AM
I say go for a battery replacement. Cost is marginal. And if it doesn't work out, you can go for a new phone anyway. Seems worth a try.

Battery capacity degrades with each charging cycle.

Only caveat is that you make sure you have all your data backed up before hand.

I always thought swappable batteries was the right design for mobile phones. But seems that most/all of them now are sealed.

cmbicycles
04-30-2019, 08:55 AM

No pull start, it predates the internal combustion engine, Its probably been used by Fred Flintstone.

Plan is to try battery first, then if that goes awry consider a new phone. Battery is way cheaper and I have no other issues with the phone. While I'm sure I'd appreciate the faster/better screen/etc... I'd rather spend money somewhere else.

Mr. Pink
04-30-2019, 09:30 AM
I had an S5, was directed to an Interstate brick and mortar store to buy a new battery. Buy two, the extra one is handy when traveling, size of a credit card.

ScottW
04-30-2019, 11:21 AM
I've had good results over the years using ebay batteries on my old Motorola Razr, LG VX4400, Blackberry, S4, and an iPod or two. Look for a seller with thousands of feedbacks and a >99% rating, and check to make sure their positive feedback is specifically coming from people who have bought batteries, as opposed to whatever other accessories they may sell.

You won't realize how slow your S4 is until you upgrade. I thought mine was fine but was pleasantly surprised when I upgraded to the S7, which I will think is fine until such time as the wife gets it in her head that we need to blow money on new phones again. I also didn't realize how awesomely convenient inductive charging is until I had it.