PDA

View Full Version : LBS Recommendation East Bay Area?

503m979
04-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

I just moved to Danville, CA (East Bay Area) from San Diego (with a 3 month detour in Seattle).

I'm looking for a good LBS in the area. Any strong recommends?

/dave

oldpotatoe
04-29-2019, 09:25 AM
Hi all,

I just moved to Danville, CA (East Bay Area) from San Diego (with a 3 month detour in Seattle).

I'm looking for a good LBS in the area. Any strong recommends?

/dave

Bicycle Odyssey.

https://www.bicycleodyssey.com

Cornfed
04-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Dublin Cyclery. You don't stay in business 50+ years without doing something right. Plus, I like it when the head mechanic owns the shop.

Ask for Robert, said owner, or Danny, his brother. Both know bikes inside and out and will care for yours as if it were their own.

FlashUNC
04-29-2019, 10:05 AM
In Berkeley I like Andres over at Beyond Aero. Does a mix of tri and hi zoot road stuff.

Duende
04-29-2019, 10:12 AM
Ditto to what the others have said. Also have to give props to the service department at the Berkeley Trek store believe it or not. Top notch techs who Really know their gravel/MTB. Great selection of tires too btw. Full compass/WTB/schwalbe stock.

onetwentyeight
04-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Depends what you're looking for out of an LBS. In Danville, I like the folks at 615. Dave has really built a community over there, and they have a lot of shop rides which may be of interest to you.

If you want to come over to Oakland, you are welcome to hit me up. I started my own business 2.5 years ago called Oakland Service Course. I'm more of a mechanic/service focused/custom build business than a traditional LBS. I have nearly 15 years shop experience as well as a few years doing the race mechanic thing. CV available upon request :P

https://instagram.com/oaklandservicecourse/

Andres at BA is a good dude, I did all his builds and service for the first couple years that shop was open and only left to start my own thing.

The trek store in Berkeley has a great staff. Carl's a friend. If I weren't doing my own thing, that'd be one of the few places in the area code I'd consider working.

prototoast
04-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Bicycle Odyssey.

That's an hour and a half drive under normal traffic conditions.

Closer to where he is, Livermore Cyclery, Dublin Cyclery, and 6Fifteen Cyclery are solid options.

joosttx
04-29-2019, 10:21 AM
Bicycle Odyssey.

Not quite in the east bay

zennmotion
04-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Robinson Wheelworks in San Leandro, Chris R is a former wrench for 7-11 BITD and my local LBS. It's just 2 blocks off a 580 exit so it's easy if you're driving through to/from Oakland/SF from Danville, small shop but very fastidious work. Plus if you want to wait for same day service, there's good cheap eats nearby and the shop is a good start point for a nice ride in/around the Chabot park area.

John H.
04-29-2019, 12:20 PM
R&A cycles is opening up a boutique in Walnut Creek area.

cnighbor1
04-30-2019, 11:41 AM
California Peddler
If for noting else to see great classic bikes owned by owner John
say Charles sent you
for a one man shop is just up the street 2nd floor ask john for location

cnighbor1
04-30-2019, 11:42 AM
frame Up has a nice shop north of PH BART

503m979
04-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Thanks all. Much appreciated.

I'm primarily looking for a legit mechanic. I love riding bikes, but I'm woefully bad at fixing them...

Sounds like i've got lots of good options around here!

Anybody do the ride out of the Danville Pete's Coffee on Saturdays?

/dave

sfo1
04-30-2019, 06:57 PM
no, but you have vg/diverse riding options; diablo for climbs and out to morgan territory, etc.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

I'm primarily looking for a legit mechanic. I love riding bikes, but I'm woefully bad at fixing them...

Sounds like i've got lots of good options around here!

Anybody do the ride out of the Danville Pete's Coffee on Saturdays?

/dave

bikingshearer
04-30-2019, 07:17 PM
That's an hour and a half drive under normal traffic conditions.

Closer to where he is, Livermore Cyclery, Dublin Cyclery, and 6Fifteen Cyclery are solid options.

In Danville proper, I'd go with California Peddler. The next closest is the Alamo branch of Livermore Cylery. A bit further afield would be Dublin Cyclery or the Dublin branch of Livermore Cyclery. I have not dealt with California Peddler for a fair number of years now - no particular reason - so I can't vouch for them, but if cnighbor says they're good, they're good. I can vouch for Dublin Cyclery and for Livermore Cyclery - both owned and operated by good people who will treat you right.

And welcome to God's country for cycling.:hello: