PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Kill

clyde the point
04-29-2019, 06:06 AM
I have ridden a bike on the road for many years. 50+. I have had so many near collisions with deer, dogs, cats, cars, squirrels, chipmunks, humans, etc it's hard to count. It's always been worrisome to me what would happen if a squirrel ended up under my wheel and the other day I found out. Descending a short steep road near Furman Univ. I saw a blur to my right and felt a bump. The wife was behind me and reported 3 flips and then laid still on it's back. I've had more of a "bump" feeling riding over branches or foliage debris than the squirrel. Tires were Gravel King 32's tubeless on Old Potato wheels under a Lynskey GR. This is not meant as a boast or conquest, merely as information as to my experience at something I had often wondered about while riding the road.

witcombusa
04-29-2019, 06:18 AM
It's when they get in your spokes that things get interesting!

zmalwo
04-29-2019, 06:55 AM
Did you find its home tree and bury it under there?

pinkshogun
04-29-2019, 06:58 AM
I once watched in amazement as a small critter entered my friends front wheel, spin around, and exit the other side of the wheel

godfrey1112000
04-29-2019, 07:00 AM

Crank front derailer and chain

A sound you will never forget

Rabbits don’t do to well in that area either :eek:

josephr
04-29-2019, 07:24 AM
I had a small dog come (chihuahua mix) bite at my heel and ended up under my rear wheel...he didn't survive and I still feel the 'bump' whenever a dog gives chase. :(

Bentley
04-29-2019, 07:24 AM

I was on a ride with a friend, squirrel jammed up his front wheel. Friend went over the handlebars, broke his collar bone, squirrel kept going. Not sure what happened to the squirrel but my friend was messed up.

charliedid
04-29-2019, 07:40 AM
Poor squirrel.

Tickdoc
04-29-2019, 07:40 AM
Buddy of mine clipped a tail of one last year....both he and squirrel escaped relatievly unharmed.

He got a nice little souvenir from the experience, about two inches of the end tuft of a squirrel's tail which he proudly wore at the end of his seat. ;~)

Matthew
04-29-2019, 08:12 AM
I had one somehow get through my radially laced front wheel ( remember those?!) on my Mtb one day. Kept right on running unharmed.

makoti
04-29-2019, 08:40 AM
I had this happen last year. Right over the poor guys neck with my front wheel. He was fine, sitting off to my right. HE moved to go into the brush, then suddenly changed his mind. Left. Don't go left! I felt so bad.

Red Tornado
04-29-2019, 11:29 AM
On a group ride once a wiener dog run out to chase and times it perfectly getting right under my rear wheel. I was at the end of the line.
I ride over him, too late to react by then. I immediately slowed down and looked back. The dog yelped, rolled a couple times then got up shook himself and ran back to the house. Bet he won't chase bikes anymore.

Ozz
04-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Buddy of mine clipped a tail of one last year....both he and squirrel escaped relatievly unharmed.

He got a nice little souvenir from the experience, about two inches of the end tuft of a squirrel's tail which he proudly wore at the end of his seat. ;~)

Been done before....;-)

ckipp88
04-29-2019, 01:07 PM
Here in NYC I've noticed that there are a lot of freshly killed rats on the street. Almost ran over about 3 today during my commute! - C

Spaghetti Legs
04-29-2019, 02:06 PM
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/general-cycling-discussion/i-had-very-disturbing-ride-today-95282.html

I had one try to jump through my front wheel several years ago and posted about it on another site. 12 years later I’m still edgy when I see squirrels in the road.

gasman
04-29-2019, 02:41 PM
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/general-cycling-discussion/i-had-very-disturbing-ride-today-95282.html

I had one try to jump through my front wheel several years ago and posted about it on another site. 12 years later I’m still edgy when I see squirrels in the road.

I'm edgy too. I took care of a patient several years ago who had a squirrel get caught in his spokes. He went over the bars, broke his neck and became a quadriplegic. Really sad story as he asked to be disconnected from his ventilator several weeks later when it was clear he would have no recovery. Only 72 years old.

redir
04-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Poor little fella. Hopefully he snapped out of it and went on his way. I've seen them do that before.

Ronsonic
04-29-2019, 04:29 PM
Crank front derailer and chain

A sound you will never forget

Rabbits don’t do to well in that area either :eek:

Twice I've had armadillos run under the bike between the front and back wheels. The sound of an aluminum chainring on armadillo armor is the worst. Both guys (unless it was the same dummass both times) were fine and uninjured.