PDA

View Full Version : most roadlike mtb pedal

AngryScientist
04-28-2019, 04:33 PM
i may have asked this before, but i'm thinking about it again.

i really like SPD-SL pedals, and use them for everything short of off-road rides where i KNOW i will spend some real time on my feet. i just like the secure feeling they provide. i never warmed up to the mtb pedals i've tried, so...

i've tried ATACs, didnt like them. generally have been using SPD pedals for when conditions dictate.

i'll probably just stick with the SPDs, since i use them so un-often, but is there anything new or different that i'm missing? a 2-bolt mtb type pedal that is closer to a road pedal feel?

R3awak3n
04-28-2019, 04:41 PM
SPD ES-600 I think is the new model...

however I have heard the older model (A-600) which is what I actually have and REALLY like is better because apparently the new model is harder to clip into (the weight is all wrong so it does not sit in the best position to clip in).

But this pedal is great, looks like a road pedal, decently light and I have been using it for many years and really like it. I actually was looking for another to have, still a bunch around on ebay.

John H.
04-28-2019, 04:46 PM
I think part of the equation is proper shoes that interface well with the pedal.

I use Crank Bros on several bikes- Eggbeaters and Candy. But I use the tread adaptors- These pieces allow for a tight interface between the shoe and pedal.

I am using Bont Vapor G shoes- It is a road shoe, but with mtb tread. Specialized makes similar shoes as do most mfg's- Get something with a stiff and rodlike carbon sole.

I hate slop and gave up n both SPD and Time Atac because they are sloppy. Get on a steep climb with high power and low cadence- both start to creak or squeal.

mtechnica
04-28-2019, 05:01 PM
By secure feeling do you just mean less float? SPD pedals can hold really well especially when you crank up the retention spring. As others have said the ultegra SPD pedals (A600) are very good IME, although there is also a 105 level one that's pretty much the same except a little heavier (A520). They're good as well.

alfordjo
04-28-2019, 05:38 PM
I have the A600 and just built up a bike and put M8020 on it. I know the M8020 is a more traditional MTB pedal, but I like it better than the A600 for one main reason....

The A600 is 1 sided and the clip side always ended up down for me after a stop. The M8020 is double sided (probably a little heavier also) but on the few rides I have been on these pedals I like them better.

veloduffer
04-28-2019, 06:18 PM
I use the Shimano A520 on nearly all my bikes. Simple, clean looks and inexpensive (<$50). Works with Shimano mtb cleats.

I pair them with high-end mtb shoes with carbon soles, so I pretty much get the lightweight of road pedals but walkability of SPDs.

cyat.es
04-28-2019, 06:23 PM
I’ve been using Speedplay Syzrs. The get bad reviews as mtn pedals, which I can understand, but with a stiff shoe they’re pretty road-like, as the interface is entirely in the cleats, not with the shoe soles.

The thing I don’t like about them is the weird front release. If your toes are pointed down on really rough terrain they can release unexpectedly. Not great.

NHAero
04-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Also thinking of a change in clip-in pedals and like walkable shoes. Have used Eggbeaters for years, thinking about a change. Would these A-600 pedals work with standard MTB shoes? My current pair are Diadora carbon X Vortex Pro, with dual boa closures, which I really like.

SPD ES-600 I think is the new model...

however I have heard the older model (A-600) which is what I actually have and REALLY like is better because apparently the new model is harder to clip into (the weight is all wrong so it does not sit in the best position to clip in).

But this pedal is great, looks like a road pedal, decently light and I have been using it for many years and really like it. I actually was looking for another to have, still a bunch around on ebay.

Jaybee
04-28-2019, 06:35 PM
Any shoe that accepts Crank Bros 2 bolt cleats will accept SPD 2 bolt cleats.

warren128
04-28-2019, 06:42 PM
I standardized many years ago on Shimano PD-6500 Ultegra SPD road pedals. They are single sided SPD pedals. They just work for me, and I'm not bothered by the fact they they are single sided.

Since these are no longer made, I have some spares stored away, just in case. :)

They come up for sale on eBay every so often.

AngryScientist
04-28-2019, 06:44 PM
SPDs seem like the majority win!

i've got a few majorish gravel rides planned this year that i'll swap to mtb pedals for, since chances are good i'll have to foot it a bit.

rwsaunders
04-28-2019, 06:45 PM
The Shimano A600 pedals work with MTB shoes that accept SPD cleats and the platform is similar to a road pedal. My only complaint is that the pedals can only be removed with an Allen wrench and not a pedal wrench. I use the pedals most frequently in the rain and slush and they are a bear to remove with an Allen wrench when they don’t want to release, regardless of how well I’ve greased the threads.

NHAero
04-28-2019, 07:02 PM
Thanks all.
Timely thread, as my Eggbeaters were chirping the last few weeks and I've been thinking about going back to SPDs, and was totally not up on current tech.

R3awak3n
04-28-2019, 07:12 PM
Also thinking of a change in clip-in pedals and like walkable shoes. Have used Eggbeaters for years, thinking about a change. Would these A-600 pedals work with standard MTB shoes? My current pair are Diadora carbon X Vortex Pro, with dual boa closures, which I really like.

as said, yes they would and work very well.

Also you get a nice platform which is why I prefer them to say 2 side SPD pedals. They are very nice, easy to clip in, look great on a road bike. Only thing you might miss is 2 sided but to me not something I ever need when I ride my roadie.

Duende
Late to the party, I know. But another Syzr user here. Yes, the unexpected tow-out release can be a pain. But after a few years of use, I have to say they have held up really well and feel more like road shoes than prior MTB pedals I’ve used. Recommend them for gravel riding only. Not MTB or cyclocross

jbay
Time’s short-lived MID pedals (https://www.velosaloon.com/products/time-mid-57-aero-pedals-including-cleats-nos-from-the-1990s) were basically scaled down Looks that used a two-bolt (SPD-shoe compatible) cleat. They were quite wonderful when new, but then the plastic covering the cleat retention bar wore, leaving you with a very sloppy cleat-pedal interface. Close, but no cigar.

— John

John H.
04-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Are the bearings bad?
You can get a rebuild kit- Easy to rebuild.
https://www.ebay.com/i/352598763402?chn=ps
You can also get Ti spindles for them on Ebay for around $30- Turns them into light pedals.
And get the tread adaptors- This is the secret to making them fit tightly with shoes- no slop and silent.
https://www.amazon.com/CRANKBROTHERs-Crank-Brothers-Contact-Sleeves/dp/B07CJNMLC4

Thanks all.
Timely thread, as my Eggbeaters were chirping the last few weeks and I've been thinking about going back to SPDs, and was totally not up on current tech.

NHAero
04-28-2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the tip on the sleeves, never had seen those.
I run the Ti axles, mostly because they also lower the effective Q factor of the pedals, being 4mm shorter. I have rebuilt these pedals' bearings before, that's not what I'm feeling now. It seems that the actual cleat and wings get sloppy fairly quickly, but perhaps these sleeves would make that sense I have disappear.

Are the bearings bad?
You can get a rebuild kit- Easy to rebuild.
https://www.ebay.com/i/352598763402?chn=ps
You can also get Ti spindles for them on Ebay for around $30- Turns them into light pedals.
And get the tread adaptors- This is the secret to making them fit tightly with shoes- no slop and silent.
https://www.amazon.com/CRANKBROTHERs-Crank-Brothers-Contact-Sleeves/dp/B07CJNMLC4

Dekonick
04-28-2019, 10:12 PM
ATAC's for me - but that is because I need the float. My knees - Haven't tried anything else for dare I say almost 20 years...

simplemind
04-29-2019, 11:06 AM
I’ve been using Speedplay Syzrs. The get bad reviews as mtn pedals, which I can understand, but with a stiff shoe they’re pretty road-like, as the interface is entirely in the cleats, not with the shoe soles.

The thing I don’t like about them is the weird front release. If your toes are pointed down on really rough terrain they can release unexpectedly. Not great.

I too recommend the SYZR, especially for gravel riding. I can wear MTB shoes which work much better if you have to get off and walk. :eek:

I've never had the "toe down release" you speak of, but I found it's the best way to clip in, ie point toe down as you engage the clip mechanism.

bambam
04-29-2019, 01:38 PM
I use mostly crank bros.

Eggbeaters on cx.
Candys on mtn and some road.
Quattro's on road.

also still use look deltas on some.
the bianchi pista needs the celeste looks.

Use sidi dominators and shimano mtn bike shoes work with the Quattro's.
another pair of mtn bike shoes (giro?) did not.

Quattro's are discontinued but can find them on occasion. The larger braring makes them better on the road than candys.

donevwil
04-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Speedplay Frogs felt great when clipped in FWIW, lots of resistance free float, no centering, much like X series. For me they had one big drawback, however, no lateral adjustability of the cleat.

I now use A600s on most bikes with XT trails on a couple others. The A600s feel as though they have a shorter stack than dual sided SPDs although I've never found published number to support that.

billspreston
04-29-2019, 06:22 PM
Another SYZR user here. I tighten up the tension a bit from factory settings and haven't had any unwanted clip-out events. Nice solid feeling platform. As others have mentioned these won't really do well in muddy conditions so they are more of a fair weather gravel type pedal.

peanutgallery
04-30-2019, 06:17 AM
XT spd on everything and pearl xproject shoehere. Solid and reliable. Plus you can find a compatible cleat anywhere. No mtb clipless system is perfect, but many of the others out there have managed to complicate in lieu of rock solid simplicity. Whoever designed speedplays was never closer than the next country to rocks or mud.

Atacs are OK if you need some float and crank brothers are perfect if you love disappointment and feeling of getting let down miles from nowhere:) If you ride in the dirt enough, one way or another...it will break

Veloo
04-30-2019, 06:58 AM
Would the Shimano trail pedals be a solution?
I've never used them but I assumed the extra platform gave the added surface area for a road like feel.

example
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-xt-m8020-spd-trail-pedals-85814.html

genefruit
04-30-2019, 08:03 AM
I've moved to the relatively new Shimano EH500. Same concept as the A530, with flats on one side and SPD on the other, with the added benefit of pins on the flat side. https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/shimano/PD-EH500.html

iPaul
04-30-2019, 05:45 PM
Another option is the new Look X Track en-rage pedals. They are supposed to be SPD cleat compatible. Haven't tried, but looking at these and may be a nice alternative to the Shimano ones.

John H.
04-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Have also heard that people are liking the X Track pedal.
Heavy- but nice pedal.

Another option is the new Look X Track en-rage pedals. They are supposed to be SPD cleat compatible. Haven't tried, but looking at these and may be a nice alternative to the Shimano ones.

Jaybee
04-30-2019, 05:50 PM
I've moved to the relatively new Shimano EH500. Same concept as the A530, with flats on one side and SPD on the other, with the added benefit of pins on the flat side. https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/shimano/PD-EH500.html

I use Crank Bros. Doubleshot on my errand/kid/townie bike - same concept. The key is good flat bottomed shoes with a sole that can grip the pins. Vans and Chucks usually work pretty well, some of my lugged hiking boots or trail runners less so. In practice, I'm finding that I choose to clip in on this bike less than once every 20 rides, so it's probably going to get full-on flats pretty soon.