PDA

View Full Version : Does sealant work for tubulars?

cyan
04-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Thought sealants were mostly for tubeless, but a few recommended using it for tubulars as well? How well does it work? And do you add it before or when you have a puncture?

MURDERF4CE
04-27-2019, 02:33 PM
I use it in my clinchers

weaponsgrade
04-27-2019, 02:44 PM
I’ve used sealant as a preventative measure with tubulars. It worked.

yancy0303
04-27-2019, 02:45 PM
I have used the Bontrager brand to seal a slow leak, the tire would be almost completely flat after about 24 hours. Worked great, I got full life out of the tire and never had to reapply. I have a 2oz bottle that stays in my repair kit for emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slambers3
04-27-2019, 04:20 PM
works *ok* but unless you're riding a tub straight until its worn out, you'll wind up with a tire that's full of dried-out sealant.

cyan
04-27-2019, 05:17 PM
works *ok* but unless you're riding a tub straight until its worn out, you'll wind up with a tire that's full of dried-out sealant.

So the rotation helps prevent the sealant drying out?

oldpotatoe
04-27-2019, 05:45 PM
Thought sealants were mostly for tubeless, but a few recommended using it for tubulars as well? How well does it work? And do you add it before or when you have a puncture?

Been using Orange Seal in my tubulars for years. Add to tire after gluing it on, none in spare. I get so few flats(knock on SLX steel:)), it gets glumpy in a wrapped up spare. Does it work? Tire goes soft, stop, see goop coming out wee hole, it stops, top off tire, use it for another 800 miles or so. Yup, works, in clincher tubes also.

Mzilliox
04-27-2019, 05:49 PM
Yes. It works. I dont carry a spare anymore. Ive used the sealant once on the road. Im still riding that tire and it holds air as well as day 1

mhespenheide
04-27-2019, 05:54 PM
Yes. It works. I dont carry a spare anymore. Ive used the sealant once on the road. Im still riding that tire and it holds air as well as day 1

See, this is what now makes me curious about finally trying out tubulars...

teleguy57
04-27-2019, 06:28 PM
I'm not bold enough to try spare-less, but I do carry a bottle of Bontrager sealant and valve core removal tool. Previously used Stan's and it took care of two punctures while on the road -- stop, add sealant, spin wheel, pump with my trusty frame pump:beer: and ride like there was no puncture until the tires wore out..

I had one bad experience with pre-treating with Stan's and an off-balance tire with a funky plugged valve stem so I'm ok with adding post-puncture.

Lionel
04-27-2019, 07:07 PM
I'm not bold enough to try spare-less, but I do carry a bottle of Bontrager sealant and valve core removal tool. Previously used Stan's and it took care of two punctures while on the road -- stop, add sealant, spin wheel, pump with my trusty frame pump:beer: and ride like there was no puncture until the tires wore out..

I had one bad experience with pre-treating with Stan's and an off-balance tire with a funky plugged valve stem so I'm ok with adding post-puncture.

what I do as well. No point in putting sealant in brand new tubular, in particular if you rotate bikes and wheels like me. It dries out inside.

Spdntrxi
04-27-2019, 07:15 PM

I dries up it's still next to nothing...have you tried?

mktng
04-27-2019, 07:23 PM
I put cafe latex in my clincher tubes, and tubulars. No crazy downsides.

I have...however...had a tubular with stans sealant in it get super gatorskin hard shell on me. But by that time. The tire was worn and to be replaced.

wallymann
04-27-2019, 09:04 PM

what about something like flat-attack that doesnt dry out?

Gummee
04-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Never tried sealant in regular tubulars, but it works great in my LASes

M

bikinchris
04-27-2019, 09:50 PM
TUFO has done it for decades.

false_Aest
04-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Orange Seal endurance.

1.5oz in each tire when they first get mounted.
1.5oz when i'm about 1/2 way through their life.

Stans and Bontrager have also worked.

Andreas
04-28-2019, 08:54 AM

orange works well

don't use it prophylactically because I
1) rarely flat
2) use worn tubulars as spares and the sealant would mess that up

i take a pump, valve core remover and a 20 ml syringe with sealant

20 ml luer lock syringes fit 100% perfectly into the valve core, as if they are made for that purpose. I cut off the plunger to 2 cm length and push it with my thumb. that way it is very compact, smaller than my mini pump

same for tubeless rides

tuscanyswe
04-28-2019, 09:01 AM
It works but not always. I have had some that worked some that never seemed to work. Also some sealants are better with butyl vs latex.

Gummee
04-28-2019, 11:15 AM
I got a big enough cut in a sidewall on my last LAS that sealant wouldn't seal. I ended up walking out to the main road and thumbing a ride to the LBS.

M

jpritchet74
04-28-2019, 12:04 PM
After hearing about how sealant "should" work for tubulars I am now on tubulars for my "most days" bike. I am carrying the Bontrager sealant and a valve core remover in my sack.

GOTHBROOKS
04-28-2019, 12:39 PM
i was afraid of the stans sealant hardening over time so i just carry a can of vittoria pittstop with me. i havent had to use it yet, knock on wood.

corky
04-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Sealant can clog valves and cause inflation difficulties,

Dead Man
04-28-2019, 03:04 PM
dont do it in your FMBs.. something about the latex they use causes the tube to fuse to itself really easily. i would imagine the same applies to other hi-end tubs but i learned my lesson te first time. in butyl tubed tubs its dope tho, and i can vouch this fusion problem doesnt apply in vittoria's latex tubed tubs - but the sealant doesnt seem to seal as well either

my policy now is ill put sealant in a bike ill be riding a lot, but otherwise i just do the tube and core tool in the tool pouch bit like these other bros. getting on my cx bike for the first time in like a year recently, i was super relieved that i apparently hadnt pre-sealed em, otherwise i woulda been ordering a new set o PDXs and wouldnta been riding that day

homagesilkhope
04-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Sealant can clog valves and cause inflation difficulties,

Not only clog valve cores but valve extensions, too. That was a new one for me just this week; it was the first time I'd ridden the wheel in a couple of months (but don't recall any difficulty when inflating the tire before the ride). Fortunately a buddy had a CO2 cartridge and we were able to blow out the obstruction; my pump wouldn't do it. So, a paper clip has been added to the tool pouch. Maybe it will reach?

As noted above, sealant has its limits in terms of size of puncture it can seal, so the spare tire still has its place of honor. I use both Orange and Bontrager but not prior to puncturing (the next in-race puncture may make me rethink this). I understand Vitt. Pitstop doesn't work well with butyl tubes. Bontrager seems worse at drying/hardening on the shelf. Regular agitation is probably a good idea, both in tire and bottle. In the end, sealant isn't a cure-all but seems worth the related hassle. Puncturing a nearly new sew-up was never any fun.

Kirk007
04-28-2019, 07:23 PM
Has anyone actually had to use Vittoria pitstop and had it work? I tried it once and all it did was make a mess. Although I then tried Orange sealant and the hole was too big for that too so maybe it wasn't pitstop's fault.

oldpotatoe
04-29-2019, 07:10 AM
Has anyone actually had to use Vittoria pitstop and had it work? I tried it once and all it did was make a mess. Although I then tried Orange sealant and the hole was too big for that too so maybe it wasn't pitstop's fault.

I sold it so for giggles, I tried it on a punctured tubular..it DID work and it DID make a mess. so..YMMV and all that. :)

tele
04-29-2019, 07:28 AM
I carry a can or two of Pitstop with me and a couple guys I ride with do the same. I would say it works more than 50% but less than 100% of the time. It does make a mess 100% of the time however.

What I am unsure of is the shelf life of the stuff. I bought some in bulk a few years back but use it so infrequently I don't know if having older cans around make a difference in effectiveness.