PDA

View Full Version : ...

Clean39T
04-27-2019, 09:36 AM

el cheapo
04-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Back in World War II my father got dust pneumonia when he was stationed in Tonopah Nevada flying B-24's. Doesn't sound like an enjoyable experience. Get well soon.

Richard
04-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Sounds like something I got when I raced in NYS during a period of forest fires a couple of hundred mile away. Was like exercise induced asthma. Couple of days of using asthma inhalers got rid of it. See if you can get hold of one.

HenryA
04-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Think about resting. And then do it.

John H.
04-27-2019, 06:00 PM
My guess is that it is a combo of extreme effort, dust (even if you didn't feel it) and low humidity (it is Bend, correct?)
Also could be dehydration if you didn't pay attention to hydration from the moment you got to Bend.
Hydrate well before tomorrow- Don't forget electrolytes. That said, don't gulp or guzzle. Too much is as bad as too little.

Raced an ITT on gravel yesterday evening. 16-min all-out effort at altitude in Bend. I went deep into the oxygen-debt cave. It took me a while to stop coughing afterwards and catch my breath. It wasn't exceptionally dusty - no packs of riders churning it up, but my legs and bike we're covered at the end.

I spent the rest of the night coughing and wheezing a bit, with that exhale rattle at the end.

I've had pneumonia in the past and it trucked me, so I'm sketched out a bit.

Is that rattle and deep cough urge just part of trying to clean the lungs back out?

No fever or anything, other pain, etc.

Anybody else had this experience? Just part of the #groad experience?

Headed out for 70mi of gravel today and the same tomorrow. Guess I'll see if this gets worse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Clean39T
04-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Got the ride done today - and it was an adventure for sure - story to come elsewhere, but the lungs are not feeling great by any means and gave me some trouble on the ride even though I tried to avoid eating the dust as much as I could. I've got that weak and raspy sensation I remember from when the pnuemonia started in on me a few years ago after a particularly nasty cold/wet trail night half-mar.. Knocked me out for a few weeks that time. Hopefully it's just the dust/humidity and not that. Leaning toward taking a DNS tomorrow just to be careful..

Thanks for the insights though all - can always count on the wisdom of the crowd here [emoji481]

beeatnik
04-27-2019, 06:53 PM
No te mueras!

Spdntrxi
04-27-2019, 07:19 PM
I did a similar TT about a month ago... I'm 80-85% right now. I had walking pneumonia..

Kirk007
04-27-2019, 09:25 PM
your also at altitude compared to Portland. Sounds like you irritated your lungs and have some inflammation, dust certainly could have contributed to it. An inhalers not a bad idea but probably would need to go to Dr and get prescription.

Andy sti
04-27-2019, 09:54 PM
Today was so dusty, Dan. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s getting to you. I think you need to do our local cross races to acclimatize :)

Clean39T
04-27-2019, 10:14 PM

Clean39T
04-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Today was so dusty, Dan. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s getting to you. I think you need to do our local cross races to acclimatize :)

Alpenrose in August was enough for me - a cloud hung over the course for hours - can't imagine how bad it is in Bend late Summer.. I'll take my cyclocross the way Lord Hinault intended it - cold, wet, and muddy...

gasman
04-27-2019, 10:59 PM
Do you have any history of asthma ? Ever ?

Because this sounds like the dust did stir up/cause some asthma to me.

Go see a doc and consider getting tested with spirometry. My asthma is kicked up by pollens, dust or hard exercise. Wish I had been diagnosed before age 35.

Clean39T
04-27-2019, 11:10 PM

Go see a doc and consider getting tested with spirometry. My asthma is kicked up by pollens, dust or hard exercise. Wish I had been diagnosed before age 35.It's possible. Thinking about it now, this has only been an issue since I got that bout of pnuemonia...or at least I feel more sensitive since then. Of course, I'm also turning 40 in two months, so there's that.

bigbill
04-28-2019, 12:05 AM
I did a 72 mile gravel race last summer that started in the afternoon and went into the night. It was hot and humid and I was head to toe caked in dust, blowing dirt snot, and hacking up dust. I coughed and spit all the way home and felt like crap the next day. Didn't die.

martl
04-28-2019, 01:00 AM
"exercise induced Asthma" (exercise-induced bronchoconstriction/EIB) is not uncommon after a hard race, especially in cold/dry condition.
I remember a mountain TT at close to 0°C in winterly conditions, where the finish area sounded very much like a sanatorium for tuberculosis..

In your case, the dust may have played a role. EIB usually goes away after a short period, if the symptoms stayed around for as long as described, i would go see a doctor.

bironi
04-28-2019, 01:13 AM
Asthma is a disorder that has no order.

OtayBW
04-28-2019, 07:24 AM
Asthma is a disorder that has no order.You have to to order it 'to go' (or, it can be delivered...). :) :help:

Ralph
04-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Personally.....I would take this very seriously.

dcama5
04-28-2019, 03:18 PM

Go see a doc and consider getting tested with spirometry. My asthma is kicked up by pollens, dust or hard exercise. Wish I had been diagnosed before age 35.

Yes, I agree. There is a type of asthma called "cough-variant asthma" which this may be. Also, there is "exercise-induced" asthma which this may be, or it may be the dust. As gasman (the anesthesiologist) recommended, get a pulmonary function test (PFT). During the test, you will do spirometry where you inhale deeply then blow it all out hard and fast. The flow numbers will be recorded. Then you will do an aerosol treatment with a bronchodilator followed by another spirometry. If the flow numbers improve significantly after the bronchodilator, that is diagnostic for asthma. If that is inconclusive, there is a specific PFT called a methacholine challenge that your doc may order. Methacholine is an airway irritant especially for asthmatics. You inhale progressively larger doses of methacholine with spirometry following each dose. If your flow numbers fall off significantly during the test it's diagnostic for asthma. The first step, as gasman said, is to get an appointment with your physician.

Clean39T
04-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Yes, I agree. There is a type of asthma called "cough-variant asthma" which this may be. Also, there is "exercise-induced" asthma which this may be, or it may be the dust. As gasman (the anesthesiologist) recommended, get a pulmonary function test (PFT). During the test, you will do spirometry where you inhale deeply then blow it all out hard and fast. The flow numbers will be recorded. Then you will do an aerosol treatment with a bronchodilator followed by another spirometry. If the flow numbers improve significantly after the bronchodilator, that is diagnostic for asthma. If that is inconclusive, there is a specific PFT called a methacholine challenge that your doc may order. Methacholine is an airway irritant especially for asthmatics. You inhale progressively larger doses of methacholine with spirometry following each dose. If your flow numbers fall off significantly during the test it's diagnostic for asthma. The first step, as gasman said, is to get an appointment with your physician.Thanks for that. I'm going to book an appointment w my physician. My weak attempt at humor above notwithstanding, I have a good doctor who's also a cyclist and I'll see what I can get figured out there.

Polyglot
04-29-2019, 01:35 AM
Your symptoms are exactly the same that I can get for a very short time in the spring when some particular plant is putting out pollen. I have learned that as soon as it hits me, that I should stay indoors for the next 3-4 days until the pollen levels reduce.

buddybikes
04-29-2019, 05:02 AM
Talk to your doctor about montelukast (singulair)

verticaldoug
04-29-2019, 05:09 AM
If you are not improving, go see a doctor. Getting diagnosed on the internet is just a bad idea.

https://www.webmd.com/balance/features/internet-makes-hypochondria-worse#1

Thanks to the Internet, becoming a hypochondriac is much easier than it used to be.

The easy availability of health information on the web has certainly helped countless people make educated decisions about their health and medical treatment, but it can be disastrous for people who are likely to worry. Hypochondriacs researching an illness used to have to scour books and ask doctors for information. Now a universe of information is available with a few mouse clicks.

dcama5
04-29-2019, 03:10 PM
If you are not improving, go see a doctor. Getting diagnosed on the internet is just a bad idea.

https://www.webmd.com/balance/features/internet-makes-hypochondria-worse#1

Thanks to the Internet, becoming a hypochondriac is much easier than it used to be.

The easy availability of health information on the web has certainly helped countless people make educated decisions about their health and medical treatment, but it can be disastrous for people who are likely to worry. Hypochondriacs researching an illness used to have to scour books and ask doctors for information. Now a universe of information is available with a few mouse clicks.

You make a very good point about health information on the internet, however, Gasman, above in the thread, is a physician. He's an anesthesiologist (thus the gasman handle). I am a clinical manager for a pulmonary diagnostics lab and an interventional bronchoscopy program. Our responses are not just random info from the Internet. That's one of the good things about a forum like Paceline. We all agree though, that the first step is a physician visit.

bambam
04-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Here in alergyville I'm having the same issue, plus more symptoms.

Allergies???

Although I've never been tested I think I have some alergys.

I think some develop when you get older? I usually have 2-4 days of whatI call a cold most springs. Some worse than others.

Start this Saturday after a century with a drippy nose.
Sunday headache and drippy/runny nose, Knocked out and felt chilled most the day with no fever but night sweats.
Monday sneezy, Runny nose, cough, chest congestion.
Today cough, chest congestion sore throat.

No rain since Saturday and high pollen counts that will stay until the next big rain.

Good luck,
get well,
Bam Bam